Arizer Solo

jimmylegs

Hey folks I have been a proud solo owner for a couple of months now and I couldnt be happier with my ceramic 102. This little baby has impressed everyone who has tried it including some non smokers. One of my buddies was impressed enough to order his own and it arrived yesterday which meant a test session last night. He opted for a ss version and he received a 105 which I thought would be the latest bug-free unit. We loaded er up with the bowl half full and began testing, but after two 12 min cycles (the last 4 or 5 min on 7) with the same bowl, the adv still had visible green in it and wasnt even close to brown or black like my ceramic. I have been reading on here that the ss versions dont get as hot as the ceramic but I think this isnt the case. My guess is that he probably has a defective unit but I wanted to hear from some ss 105 owners or anyone in the know to get some feedback before looking into a replacement. Thanks for your time.

jimmylegs,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I have a 105 SS and i would estimate it to be 0.5 to 1 number cooler than my 102 ceramic.

It sounds like that one is running cool to me.

Frederick McGuire,

AceTK

Radiant Thoughtforms
I have to agree mine comes out pretty damn light. But don't take my word see a picture below.

24z9i7b.jpg

Bottom is MFLB, middle is my VP100 box whip vape and top as you can guess is the uber light solo. I have an M105-SS and often run entirely on 7. Just feels like it needs about 1 or 2 more notches hotter to be perfect.

AceTK,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Damn yes those M105 are running mos def on lower temps! It's a pitty IMO as that was one of the pro's of the solo: extraction capacity...

BTW, AceTK, have you received my last mails? ;)

FLskwat,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Wow!!!

Lately my two primary vapes have been EQV and Solo, and my Solo abv is DARK Brown (on about 5 for most sessions) And my leavings from my EQV are a dark tobacco color. Obviously the Solo does some great extraction!!! :D I like how you layered the different vaped stuff, seems like you got a system there...;)

Bluntcrush,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Frederick McGuire said:
I'm not sure how big te screens from planet vape measure, but I just got a few, and they are a bit small for my tastes.
They are just smaller than the ID of the stem without doming.
So they basically will just drop in and drop out very easily.
I like my cut down ssv screens that hold themselves in because they are that little bit bigger.

I've got some 0.5" screens coming soon, I hope they are a bit better.
If not, I guess I'll have to get some 3/8 screens.

Still no word back from my glassblower, hopefully I'll hear something from him soon...
I want my GonG Stems.

I just got my 100 .5" screens from this guy via recommendation from Da Ape and they rock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-QUALIT...777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f53ac71

ru_frothi,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
jimmylegs said:
Hey folks I have been a proud solo owner for a couple of months now and I couldnt be happier with my ceramic 102. This little baby has impressed everyone who has tried it including some non smokers. One of my buddies was impressed enough to order his own and it arrived yesterday which meant a test session last night. He opted for a ss version and he received a 105 which I thought would be the latest bug-free unit. We loaded er up with the bowl half full and began testing, but after two 12 min cycles (the last 4 or 5 min on 7) with the same bowl, the adv still had visible green in it and wasnt even close to brown or black like my ceramic. I have been reading on here that the ss versions dont get as hot as the ceramic but I think this isnt the case. My guess is that he probably has a defective unit but I wanted to hear from some ss 105 owners or anyone in the know to get some feedback before looking into a replacement. Thanks for your time.

sounds defective to me. my SS 105 an SS 106 will both blacken a bowl on 7 easily.

I agree the M105 are a little cooler but not cooler like you indicate.

ru_frothi,

chris

EDIT:
Hi guys,
I've removed my message which is quoted later, which was unfair to the Solo. I've now learnt how to use it properly, it's just fantastic.
Going from 2 to 5, keeps the taste good, stiring the herb up regurlarly I can get clouds for 30 minutes, waiting some time between hits, it's amazing and very pleasant.
thanks so much everyone for the advices and help !

chris,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
The glass tube has to get in! M106 too!
I heard some stems had the problem you're talking about...Sorry to hear that!

And yes with the correct setting you should expect all the previously expected from vapor (high, timeframe, flavor, efficiency etc...): it's all for real, we ain't making this up! ;)

I'm a 15 years ex-combustion addict (25G/week) that came to vapor with no reasons to switch, but it was easy and I was pleased! So I would try it out with a non defective Solo before jumping to those conclusions! ;)

FLskwat,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
chris said:
1. The glass tube in which you put your herbs doesn't fit in the solo, the diameter is too big, there's a joint at the top of the solo preventing from sliding in. Phoned the shop I bought it from, the guy said ........., the glass pipe doesn't go in anymore so that air can go in. The result is the glass pipe barely holds itself, any movement of the solo makes the tube drop, so you have to hold the tube and the solo at the same time. This is, dixit the shop, Arizer's new design. Ridiculous.

You received the wrong advice from the store you called.
The stem must be inserted into the solo.
2. The law of gravity is the same for everyone, when you put herbs in the glass pipe and put it upside down to insert in the solo, guess what happens ? everything falls in the solo, so you're basically burning the herbs.
When the stem is inserted correctly, no herbs should fall out of the stem.
3. After watching many videos and reading many forums, I came to the conclusion that the glass pipe HAD to get in despite what had said the shop. After warming the solo a lot, and forcing the glass in, which made it hot, the joint became softer and the tube went in by forcing a lot.
I breathed in and got some "vapor", but after many trials I'd say this is not vapor but just SMOKE. Yes , the glass tube becomes very hot, and "burns" slightly the herbs, which is why they turn brown , instead of staying green.
Vaporized herb turns brown, it doesn't stay green.
Unless your solo is running hot, you should not get smoke, just vapor.
Sometimes the vapor will be thin if you start pulling as soon as you get the stem in. Try letting the stem heat up for 30 seconds to a minute.

5. the taste: I was expecting, after reading comments , to get a nice flavor, like when you cut the buds, that sweet fruity smell ? forget it, you get a combustion smell, a bit like when you start to burn dry leaves and it smokes a bit. But nothing like the smell of the bud. I've tried different herbs and the taste is the same whatever herb I use.
It will vary from strain to strain, but I find that the flavor gets less fresh and more burny at or above 5

Frederick McGuire,

Lefthook

VapoMiner
Hi Chris and welcome ,

I have combusted for over 14 years and the solo is my 1st vaporizer and i love it , sorry to hear your not happy with it.

To answer your point 2) i would say tilt the unit upside down and then insert the stem this will avoid all the issues you have just mentioned.

for the rest of your points i would say give it time and read the thread as there are lots of different hints and tips and honestly vaping will get you just as high its just a different high from smoking.

Lefthook,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
If you don't see no ash, you don't get no smoke.

edit: that ABV is really light Ace. Looks like my ABV from the first month I was vaping through my SSV without knowing how far I could take it. There isn't a single green spec in my current jar.

I would love to try out one of your special nugs-stems Mari! Vaping whole nugs in the Solo used to be my fav way of using it, not sure why I haven't done that in such a long time.

ps: I just read the jiberish on the last page, my darned M102 has been on 7 sometimes 10 times a day since Juli and it still isn't melting anywhere. Am I doing something wrong perhaps?

OhTheAgony,

jimmylegs

Thanks fot the feedback guys, I am inclined to think that my buds solo isnt heating up enough but will require much more testing before a proper diognosis can be made. If Rufrothys 105can turn them black then this one is way off. The abv in this one looks like the pictures Ace posted, which is drastically different than my 102. I think it will probably turn out to be a defective issue rather than model differences but time will tell, and anyone who is having problems with theirs should try a different solo if possible because, like anything, there are some that dont work like they should. If I based my opinion on only this unit I would be a little disappointed, It still gets the job done but it isnt extracting all the goodies like my 102. Even with this little setback I still think the solo rocks if it does what its capable of.

jimmylegs,

chris

thanks guys for the answers
mine is a 105.
EDIT: removing the comment about the shop, it was a misunderstanding and they're nice people!

about #2: you're saying that the herbs should touch the metal plate once the stem is inserted ? so you're heating up the herbs by them touching the metal plate basically ? I thought vapor was air, not heating up directly ???

chris,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, the device was marketed as a convection vape & most people still call it that, but imo it's really mostly about conduction with this one.

I've never heard of anyone before to use it that way (with the stems not inserted), I can't imagine it will work that way but I will try it later on just for the fun of it.

I'm not sure what shop that is, but I suggest not going there for advise & to do your own research in the future, they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

OhTheAgony,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OhTheAgony said:
Hey, you're French?

I do not know that shop you linked but next time shop here: lacentralevapeur

These guys know their vap-stuff and are active here on FC too.

These guys being me and friends! :D
On est franais Chris et on va t'aider! Balances moi un PM avec un numro ou un mail et on va trouver une solution! ;)

FLskwat,

Kaptan

chris said:
ah OK thanks, the shop is vaporisateur.net
if it's touching it's definitely not convection !
Actually, the Solo utilizes conduction and convection for vaporization.

Kaptan,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
chris said:
Hi,
just bought a solo, I'm new to vapor, been smoking pure for years and only found out about vapor - I'm in France...- I bought it after reading many positive reviews but I must say I'm VERY disappointed and feel like sharing my experience for newbys.

1. The glass tube in which you put your herbs doesn't fit in the solo, the diameter is too big, there's a joint at the top of the solo preventing from sliding in. Phoned the shop I bought it from, the guy said these are the new models, with metal instead of ceramic, and to have a better air flow which was according to him a problem on the first models, the glass pipe doesn't go in anymore so that air can go in. The result is the glass pipe barely holds itself, any movement of the solo makes the tube drop, so you have to hold the tube and the solo at the same time. This is, dixit the shop, Arizer's new design. Ridiculous.
As the tube is not inserted, you can breath in as much as you like, with the solo at max ie. 7, you're not getting any vapor, just headaches from breathing in so strongly.

2. The law of gravity is the same for everyone, when you put herbs in the glass pipe and put it upside down to insert in the solo, guess what happens ? everything falls in the solo, so you're basically burning the herbs.
so you have to DYI some grids to hold the herbs in. STill haven't found some proper way to hold them, takes ages, and sometimes the grid and herbs all fall in the solo...
Why didn't arizer think of some way to avoid this ?

therefore ease of use, design: 0/10

3. After watching many videos and reading many forums, I came to the conclusion that the glass pipe HAD to get in despite what had said the shop. After warming the solo a lot, and forcing the glass in, which made it hot, the joint became softer and the tube went in by forcing a lot.
I breathed in and got some "vapor", but after many trials I'd say this is not vapor but just SMOKE. Yes , the glass tube becomes very hot, and "burns" slightly the herbs, which is why they turn brown , instead of staying green.

4. Don't expect to get stoned with the same amount of herb you would use in a ciggy, you'd need 2 or 3 times as much to get slightly high, instead of being stoned with one tiny pure spliff. and it doesn't last long.

5. the taste: I was expecting, after reading comments , to get a nice flavor, like when you cut the buds, that sweet fruity smell ? forget it, you get a combustion smell, a bit like when you start to burn dry leaves and it smokes a bit. But nothing like the smell of the bud. I've tried different herbs and the taste is the same whatever herb I use.

I was probably expecting too much from vapor, that's one thing, but the design of the solo, with the herbs supposed to stay in the pipe by themselve is not acceptable, the burning of the herbs through glass heat instead of getting air flowing, the big quantity of herb needed to equal a spliff are stuff to know before buying such an expensive object.

welcome chris,

sorry for the trouble you are having. Yes the glass stem must insert into the solo for it to work properly.

Actually, you need much less herb to get the same level of medication with a vaporizer than with smoking. About 1/2.

for best results try this.
grind your herb and place it in the stem. dont pack them in at all. just loosely.
turn the unit on to 5
put the stem in the unit with the herb
when the heater light goes out start drawing on the unit and you should get nice vapor. (if not heat soak an additional 10-20 seconds)
say 6-10 hits from a stem load with the first two hits tasting really good.

I've never seen combustion on a solo. It doesn't get hot enough. when your toast goes in the toaster and comes out golden brown its not combusting. A proper vaporizer that extracts correctly should produced a final product that is dark brown in color. with the solo on 7 you can char part of the herb surface black but again there is no combustion. one of the solo's best known strengths is how effectively it extracts.

good luck and welcome

EDIT: I see the other guys have helped you out too. good luck. I don't think there is anything wrong with your unit. yes the herb touches metal and this vape uses conduction and convection. That shop you are talking with have no clue what they are talking about.

ru_frothi,
jimmylegs said:
Thanks fot the feedback guys, I am inclined to think that my buds solo isnt heating up enough but will require much more testing before a proper diognosis can be made. If Rufrothys 105can turn them black then this one is way off. The abv in this one looks like the pictures Ace posted, which is drastically different than my 102. I think it will probably turn out to be a defective issue rather than model differences but time will tell, and anyone who is having problems with theirs should try a different solo if possible because, like anything, there are some that dont work like they should. If I based my opinion on only this unit I would be a little disappointed, It still gets the job done but it isnt extracting all the goodies like my 102. Even with this little setback I still think the solo rocks if it does what its capable of.
The SS will not do as good as a good as the old ceramic's did. I have both and what I have found out is that my ceramic is absolutely great at extraction and so is the SS. Just have to treat them differently. I use my ceramic as a personal hitter(put way less herb in to just get me medicated and great extraction) and my SS as a party vape(The SS's flow is much better and lower heat. So what I do is just pack the SS bowl down. I mean like really pack that fucker. Then it restricts the flow like the ceramic and you get way more hits out of it. It you wanted to put less bud in just barely wrap your lips around the stem(but not fully still leaving you sucking some air as well. Not to mention there is also a little bit a learning curve to the SS if packed wrong.) and suck on it that way. That way your not sucking as hard.

VapeNStone,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Just noticed-
I have a M-104 is that supposed to be a problem? Mine works pretty well!! :p

Bluntcrush,

vapeon

I have a M104 ceramic, works great, no peeling yet. I start at 2 end up at 3-4. Comes out pretty browned by the time it's done. Maybe it runs a little hotter. Worse battery life then alot of you get on here though. :2c:

vapeon,

Mud

Hey guys, I just ordered an m106 from puffitup.com, I will do a comparison with one of my m105's when I get it in :] And on a side note, interestingly enough, my first m105 SS had no ring to make the bowls snug, but my second m105 SS did. The seal at least imo makes the solo far more efficient and effective. Just thought I'd let people know.

Mud,
Top Bottom