Arizer Solo vs Ascent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg_vapes

Hey guys, just wanted some input on these two vapes. I did my research on them, among other portables & decided to go the glass route. I bought a firefly but returned it because I had concerns about the vapor path not being true stainless steel, but that's another story (by the way, firefly declined to inform me of what the "stainless" finish on the vapor path was made of). So anyways, that's what led me to other vapes..

I originally was set on the ascent because it's pocketable/more discrete and mouthpiece stays with unit.. but it's pricey. Is the Solo a pure convection vape or covection/conduction like the ascent? Now that I think about it, I probably don't need a pocketable vape. If price wasn't a consideration, which would you choose? Thanks

cg_vapes,

slatihe

The ascent if $ does not matter.....

Umm, because you CAN put it in your pocket. :nod:
:clap:

And it hits harder, heats faster, is smaller, looks nicer, and has gong attachments.... accurate to with in 1 degree. Displays both c and f and does oil? *feeks like sales man and gets shivers*

What do you want?

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I've got the Ascent, and never used the Solo. But the Solo has quite a reputation on this site.

The Ascent has AMAZING flavor in the low temperatures, but there are some issues with the device (build quality issues mean you will definately want a full manufacturers warranty), and there is an air leak in the vapor path (where the inner glass stem and the retractable glass mouthpiece meet - this allows cold air into the vapor path (making the hits smoother, but less dense vapor clouds) - There is a fix for the vapor path (buy a custom wooden mouthpiece from Ed's TNT wood stems, or use the straight 14mm Waterpipe adapter as a mouthpiece).

I'd put the Davinci's true value at around $175 or $200 - $250 is too expensive for it's performance (in my opinion).

If you're considering the Davinci for stealth reasons. Don't. I have several portable vapes, and the Ascent is one of the last I will use in public - remove it from the cary bag, and it will have a slight smell to it (around the oven). And it's still quite big.

For my personal stealth vape, I take my Indica vape. But it doesn't perform as well as the Ascent or the Solo. But since you don't need a pocketable vape.

My vote is the Solo if your choice is between the two

(Also - if you do buy the Ascent - PLEASE make sure the vendor is an authorized dealer - you will need that 2 year warranty - trust me, build quality is still a concern with these vapes)

puddleglum

I actually got to do an A/B test of the Solo and Ascent just a few days ago at a party.

Everybody in the room unanimously preferred the Solo, and the owner of the Ascent ended up putting it away in embarrassment since people were passing it without hitting it to get to the Solo. The Ascent was eliciting comments like "is this thing on?" and "I don't feel anything..." :)

puddleglum,
Reactions: Kief

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@puddleglum : because with the Ascent you have to use the proper technic or you get nothing. Bow to her ways and she delivers!

Without applying the fix the vapor/air ratio tends to yield too much dilution. But the key difference is in the drawing technic: the Solo is more restricted while the Ascent is more free flowing. The restriction is actually helping to draw at the correct "speed", while in the Ascent you need to slow down yourself and draw very lightly otherwise you get very little.

You also need to prepare your bowl properly using either the glass flowers or puck technic (cf the Ascent thread for more details)

Overall the Ascent is not very user friendly for newbies, you need to master it to get good results, but once you do it's great and the taste is delicous (...provided you keep it clean, but that's another story!) I gave up on trying to use it to introduce vaporization to novices, I even have a friend who definitely can't get it, and I handle them my FlowerMate instead. But whenever I'm alone or with the gf, and every-time I want to enjoy the taste of a particularily good strain (that is, daily in fact) I reach for the Ascent.

puddleglum

Thanks KeroZen, I will have to give my Ascent-owning friend this link so she can figure out how to do it correctly, because it really wasn't happening.

It is also true that I was meticulous about packing (and re-packing) my Solo with perfectly ground flowers of the highest quality, another variable in the show-down. ;)

puddleglum,
Reactions: KeroZen

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Ascent has good flavor and I enjoy it very much. I find that I prefer the Solo's convenience and simplicity. It's my go to vape. I use my @Ed's TnT wood mouthpiece when I want portability. I like using it with my d020 bubbler at night.

The Solo is one of the larger portables. I can't fit it in my jeans pocket or anything but it fits well in my bag and my coat pocket. Sometimes the size isn't the only thing to consider. IMO it has a great vapor taste almost as good of flavor as the Ascent.

With the Ascent you can tap in the temp that you want, so it wins in that category.

Overal I use the Solo more than the rest of my portables. I'm with FCer Ratchett. I reach for my Indica for stealth and flavor these days. I'm not using the Ascent but maybe once or twice a week lately.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Aezhenn

Accessory Maker
@CarolKing
And between the Indica and the Solo?
Wich one do you prefer? (If we don't look at the stealth)

Aezhenn,

CarolKing

If someone told me I could only have one vape, the Indica or the Solo? I would choose the Solo.

hoptimum

@puddleglum : because with the Ascent you have to use the proper technic or you get nothing. Bow to her ways and she delivers!

Without applying the fix the vapor/air ratio tends to yield too much dilution. But the key difference is in the drawing technic: the Solo is more restricted while the Ascent is more free flowing. The restriction is actually helping to draw at the correct "speed", while in the Ascent you need to slow down yourself and draw very lightly otherwise you get very little.

You also need to prepare your bowl properly using either the glass flowers or puck technic (cf the Ascent thread for more details)

Overall the Ascent is not very user friendly for newbies, you need to master it to get good results, but once you do it's great and the taste is delicous (...provided you keep it clean, but that's another story!) I gave up on trying to use it to introduce vaporization to novices, I even have a friend who definitely can't get it, and I handle them my FlowerMate instead. But whenever I'm alone or with the gf, and every-time I want to enjoy the taste of a particularily good strain (that is, daily in fact) I reach for the Ascent.

I had a similar experience with a friend. We had used the Solo for months and had great results. When I tried to introduce him to the Ascent a couple times, he just couldn't get anything out of it. I like the Ascent as a session portable for times when I need a vaporizer I can put in my pocket. Instead of glass flowers, which I found to be a PIA to deal with when refilling the bowl, I put a screen on top. I helps keep the stem clean, especially the bottom part. I don't use it at home that much, though.

slatihe

I don't have an accent yet.... Supposedly its going to be here today. ...

But if you're having a hard time controlling your breath/draw speed/rate w ascent because of too much cooling air intake, why not bump up the temp a bit? Or seal with tape, o ring, putty, silicon hose sleeve, or etc. as a temporary fix? (Not that i think you should have too)?

Also, I've read the replacement mouths stems are different from the included mouth piece. Thicker. Though i cannot remember if that also addresses a leak in the air path... but it is much more durable and better quality, is all i really remember. Lame davinci isn't including the new ones yet.... but change over does take time, not judging, but do wonder how long tell units are packages with new mouth pieces if true.

Either way bought for use w/ glass and just thought id try electric once in a portable. Only reason wasn't firefly was no water adapter.... i like that pipe like speed though...

Anyways
Agree @Ratchett that the ascent is lil' over priced. 200ish is the sweet spot. Loje lay be 220 most-- for a two year warranty... IMO. Make it 3 years, and its amazing. Lol, but price matters not remember?

Also agree reliability is in question... but isn't in question for all new vapes-- especially portables?

The solo has been around for a while and has had time to prove it's self and work out any kinks it may or may not have had. Honestly don't know much of anything about solo and don't care.... Don't want it. HI or something comes to mind. ..

Ascent has not had that time yet... early adopters are always taking that risk... only time will tell how reliable these units are and if davici will fix any common/major problems/defects. I think it is a bit unfair at this stage to judge them too harshly... give them a chance, most people haven't even owned it long enough to find out in the first place. Lots of people seem happy w/ ascent at 6 and 8 months. Lets see what happens in over the next 4 months. ...

The original iolite supposedly had reliability issue's, but my og iolite still works the same. ... only issue was me being not carefull at all getting in and out of car repeatedly and braking stem by dropping it... my bad. Lol. They worked out the issues are are considered very reliable now.

Flower vapping isn't really that quite.... it smells "loud" and vapes tend to look a bit out of place. For stealth id suggest oil pen. But they smell too, but look like regular e cig. For supper stealth use e juice tincture in epen... xtra super stealth med-ables made with concentrate butter with a wash, maybe two.

Any way the solo is cool... just looks like a round brick. Even if put a wood stem on it, still not any more portable. If your cool w/ that, rock on! Most people here seem to not mind at all.

I want a e-nano in that form factor though, thank you... to each their own though.

edit: for cheap might look at Firewood 2.1... looks interesting at about 100. Pretty neat. :)

hope that came out right. .. on mobile, really hard to make forum posts.

Out of place, sorry
@Ratchett would like to hear more about your thoughts on the indica though. The new ones size is about PERFECT seems like a pax alternative. .. but better (don't like pax design personally). And how is the smell in your experience? Read most people say it's average tell closed? would be kinda similar to putting another vape in its case/bag but more convenient.

Last edited:
slatihe,

CarolKing

Only you can judge for yourself what will work for you. We all have our likes and dislikes regarding vaporizers. Too bad we couldn't try out a head of time before we bought. We all could haves saved a lot of money.

EDIT
Then I would have enough to buy the Crafty.;)
When buying a vaporizer that you haven't tried it is a gamble. You can alway sell it on the FC classifieds.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: beach bum

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Throw a solo in a McDonald's cup can't get anymore stealth than that.Imo

Just hard to explain the clouds coming out of your mouth. Lol

Melting Pot,

CarolKing

I'm with @Melting Pot throw a Solo in a McDonalds cup. I posted a pic on a few occasions. The last time I went to the beach I stopped at McDonalds on the way. Needed to get the cup.

CarolKing,

puddleglum

My definition of "portable" is "fits in the pocket of my guitar case" which the Solo certainly does.

"Stealth" is almost never a concern for me, but when it is (like if I go to a concert or something) I just eat a brownie. :)

puddleglum,
Reactions: CarolKing

slatihe

@Melting Pot that is true! You could rig something up for other vapes too. ..

@CarolKing i agree.... it's really hard to tell exactly what's got going on tell you have it in your hands. Really needs to be like a rental service or something out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom