are top buds really more potent?

TheVaporDaddy

well , the top buds usually look like the nicest buds on the plant but are they really more potent?

TheVaporDaddy,

2Supra4U

Well really, the potency depends on the strain and other factors (grown right, etc)

The reasons why the "top" buds are better most of the time is because they have gotten the more light and therefore are the most developed.

2Supra4U,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think that a little more comes into play with kind buds as well. The smell, taste, and look are very important to the entire experience as well.

Its kind of like a gourmet meal vs a TV Dinner. Its all about presentation.

AGBeer,

2Supra4U

Yea, my bad. I kinda left that out as I figured that is a given.

if they arnt cured to perfection, look amazing and smell divine....the aint "top" buds.

I think he was actually talking about "top" buds on an actual plant though.....the main terminal buds that grow on any individual plant regardless of whether its top grade or schwag (Ewwwww!).

2Supra4U,

TheVaporDaddy

well , im still looking for a answer to my question lol , and yes i mean the main bud that grows on the individual plant , i have read that its best to pick your buds in the morning because sun breaks down resin , so i am guessing that bottom buds that arent exposed to sunlight are the most potent ones on the plant

TheVaporDaddy,

Beezleb

Depends on the grow style used but generically yes they will be slightly more "ripe" on average in my opinion. When grown indoors this will likely be more prevalent.

Now, not everyone has the same idea of "ripe." Ever get a bag of known herb and it was a bit more racy or overly stony than normal? It is likely due to when it was harvested.

If you want to evaluate your herb before use a loup or hand scope and check out the crystals. Typically 10-30 percent amber crystals to the rest being clear and cloudy. However, this is largely subjective to preference. As the crystals degrade clear, cloudy to amber you get more CBN and CBD. More couch lock type compared to a soaring high with clear to cloudy.

All this is generically spoken.

Beezleb,

2Supra4U

TheVaporDaddy said:
well , im still looking for a answer to my question lol , and yes i mean the main bud that grows on the individual plant , i have read that its best to pick your buds in the morning because sun breaks down resin , so i am guessing that bottom buds that arent exposed to sunlight are the most potent ones on the plant

i pretty much answered your question dude.....the top ones (bigger) are better because they are more developed.

Yes light breaks down THC.....but this is only after you have harvested and cut the plants down.

Some people harvent in the morning due to certain plant processes and some feel its better to do it then.

most likely your lowest buds are going ot be hte least potent as they have not gotten much light or enough light and therefore will not be as developed. The top buds always are the one to develop and mature the fastest (unless your doing scrog or SOG)

then like beez said, the type of ripeness is subjective......some pick a little early to get a up buzz while other let the tricholmes get amber and cloudy so they get the "im just going to drool all over myself and sink in the couch" buzz.

however generally speaking your top buds will be the best ALWAYS.

2Supra4U,

hereatlast

Another factor that is determining the higher quality of top buds may be this: when drying, most growers/handlers hang their buds upside down. This initial process of drying is a transformative one, chlorophyl is leaving the plant and the actives are becoming more present. The upside down position of the buds may lead to active ingredients seeping downward.

I can't remember where I read this but I will definitely do some fact-checking. I'm sure that this is secondary to the fact that the top buds receive the most attention (light).

hereatlast,

2Supra4U

not trying to rag on ya hereatlast :)

I remember when I first started growing and was doign the hours and hours and hours of research online and all that stuff (now i have the bible like memorized lol along with everything else ive read) that I saw that mentiond alot.

You should double check but im pretty sure that thing is like a myth kinda thing.

My reason being that all the "active ingredients" are only located in the trichomes, secreted by the plant/ None of the actual plant matter has any of the goodies we all have come to love. I think the upside down thing has been spread as misinformation (if you are hang drying, it is really the logical way of hanging it) and people say it to convice people the weed will be better that way. IF you think about it lots of people dry their crop on drying racks which are horizontal no difference in the same crop if half is hung and half is racked. The trichomes are where they are and they dont "move" unless heated to where they "melt" or ooze. If they did that when hanging then buds would become so saturated, which they dont.

Although it would be fuckign sick if that happened.....I'd take a fat gooey bud any day of the week....stiiiicky Iicccky wooooo :ko:

2Supra4U,
Top Bottom