Anyone that cares about their Internet privacy should sign this.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
http://www.fixthecfaa.com/

Tell Congress:

Don't Expand the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act: Fix It!

And scroll down to join the Internet-wide week of action by embedding our contact-Congress widget on your site.

The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act is the law under which Aaron Swartz and other innovators and activists have been threatened with decades in prison. The CFAA is so broad that law enforcement says it criminalizes all sorts of mundane Internet use: Potentially even breaking a website's fine print terms of service agreement. Don't set up a Myspace page for your cat. Don't fudge your height on a dating site. Don't share your Facebook password with anybody: You could be committing a federal crime. (Read more here.)

It's the vagueness and over breadth of this law that allows prosecutors to go after people like Aaron Swartz, who tragically committed suicide earlier this year. The government threatened to jail him for decades for downloading academic articles from the website JSTOR.

Since Aaron's death, activists have cried out for reform of the CFAA. But members of the House Judiciary Committee are actually floating a proposal to expand and strengthen it -- that could come up for a vote as soon as April 10th! (Read more here.)

Add your name at right to join us in telling Congress to defeat the bill to expand the CFAA, and to pass a law to reform it to protect innovators and ordinary Internet users. If you have a website, please consider embedding our banner or widget on your site to encourage your visitors to join the cause.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
They also want to tax the Internet now as well . . . Government and politicians are finding out they hate the freedom of speech and exchange of information the Internet provides, they can't control it/us.

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
They also want to tax the Internet now as well . . . Government and politicians are finding out they hate the freedom of speech and exchange of information the Internet provides, they can't control it/us.

The Internet sure isn't like it was 20 years ago, I remember. :(

Vicki,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The Internet sure isn't like it was 20 years ago, I remember. :(
1996 was the year I ditched Apple, switched back to and built my first PC, and really started to dive into the net. I remember monochrome displays, lots of text, webcrawler, dial up modems, everything was soooo slowwwwww . . :bang:

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
1996 was the year I ditched Apple, switched back to and built my first PC, and really started to dive into the net. I remember monochrome displays, lots of text, webcrawler, dial up modems, everything was soooo slowwwwww . . :bang:

I remember dial up, it was as slow as quick sand. One time, I was signing into AOL, and I was able to walk to the kitchen, get a snack, and come back and sit down, and I still wasn't online yet!

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I for one stand by this, how this poor kid was treated is despicable. I wish the real criminals in this country were treated the way he was - so unfortunate.

What a genius!

Top Bottom