Anyone into vintage audio gear?

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
I've always been a fan of vintage audio equipment and now that I actually have money for once, I've been investing into my setup. Currently I own a Sansui G-5500 amp, a (crappy) Dual 1258 TT that I paid waaaay too much for, and a set of Realistic Mach One speakers. The amp and speakers are absolutely wonderful, but the turntable sucks ass.

Tonight I'm going to check out a vintage Bang and Olufsen Beocenter 7000 with original remote and 'original speakers' as the owner tells me. This is the unit here. As for the speakers, I'm only hoping they're vintage Bang and Olufsen as well. If anyone's interested I'll post some pics tonight. :D

mattybass,

lwien

Oh, matty, don't get me started. The first Hi-Fi show I went to was before there ever was such a thing called CES. It was held at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. I'll never forget seeing Saul Marantz pitching his Marantz 10b tuner. The fucking tuner had a scope in it and I must have came in my pants a dozen times just staring at it. In another room, Dual was exhibiting their turntable. They had it mounted on springs 6 feet high and upside down and it was bouncing up and down while flawlessly playing a record. And in the next room, I saw the very first commercial home VHS tape recorder ever made..........an Ampex that was about 6 feet long and 4 feet high. And in the next room, there was McIntosh, with all those pretty blue lights and they were sharing their room with JBL who was showing off their pride and joy, the Paragon. I was a kid then, back in '64, but I was hooked and entered the consumer electronics business years later and stayed in it till I retired.

lwien,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
lwien said:
Oh, matty, don't get me started. The first Hi-Fi show I went to was before there ever was such a thing called CES. It was held at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. I'll never forget seeing Saul Marantz pitching his Marantz 10b tuner. The fucking tuner had a scope in it and I must have came in my pants a dozen times just staring at it. In another room, Dual was exhibiting their turntable. They had it mounted on springs 6 feet high and upside down and it was bouncing up and down while flawlessly playing a record. And in the next room, I saw the very first commercial home VHS tape recorder ever made..........an Ampex that was about 6 feet long and 4 feet high. And in the next room, there was McIntosh, with all those pretty blue lights and they were sharing their room with JBL who was showing off their pride and joy, the Paragon. I was a kid then, back in '64, but I was hooked and entered the consumer electronics business years later and stayed in it till I retired.
That's unreal. There's a guy where I live selling a 10b (at least I think it is, has the scope). That must have been amazing. I wish the crap today was as solid as it was back then. Pretty sad. :(

mattybass,

the electrician

back in my student house (this was in the last couple years, im a whipper snapper not a coffin dodger) we had a TDL and marantz set up as i recall. 4 black rtl3s and a centre was the living room set up with marantz amp and cd player, dunno the models on them sadly.

rtl3.jpg

four of those and a sunn cd and everyones pants have been shat

then there were a pair of rtl2s (broken binding posts unfortunately) and near field monitors connected to another marantz in the so called vinyl room, we had two vinyls and no player. in my room i had some classic mission 700s from the loft at my mum and dads, the foam around the cones had deteriorated but that was fixable
missionelectronicsmodel.jpg

classic

every one of those speakers were an absolute steal for their performance, i got 2 of the rtl3s for 40 quid and the rest were little more. im certain the amps, cables and whatever were all steals too, it was a frugal house

the electrician,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Well I got my gear, and I'm a happy camper. For an extra $20, the guy threw in a 1946 Rogers Majestic tube radio that still works! It even still has a working bulb in the display!

If you want pics on all the stuff I got, check out this thread for the Bang and Olufsen and this thread for the radio.

I'm too lazy to repost all the photos... might as well not clutter up too many boards with the same shit. Have a looksey!

mattybass,
Top Bottom