Anyone in the path of Irene?

djonkoman

what does it do after thursday?
looks like it's headed straight in this direction(the netherlands), but I've heard nothing about it coming here(I think there has never even been a hurricane here)
well, at least we got great-brittain as a shield :p

djonkoman,

lwien

Yeah, hurricanes need warm water to feed on. I wouldn't think that the waters get very warm in the Netherlands, eh?

lwien,

Sour Deez

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Dun Dun Dun! (colors prepresent descending tone...)

How to get batteries indeed! I don't even have my launch box, and I'm kind of regretting that now...I do have a pipe, but really prefer to no use that so much. Tinctures and edibles will do though...So if you can't find any batteries Sour, just make some edibles with some abv...assuming you have some ;)

I am surprised that there haven't been many others replying to this thread...

funny thing is i still have like 2 sticks worth of butter made from abv but it tastes so nasty its been sitting in the back of fridge for months lol.

Im gonna attempt qwiso wash next time, cause im not to fond of that butter at all. I guess in some brownies it wouldent be to bad.

I wish there was someway to charge my batteries off my laptop via usb.

Sour Deez,

momatik

Things don't look too bad outside right now in central jersey.

Glad to have the genie on deck in case the power goes out.

momatik,

djonkoman

lwien said:
Yeah, hurricanes need warm water to feed on. I wouldn't think that the waters get very warm in the Netherlands, eh?

ah yes it was WARM water...
but the hurricane in the pic does get larger twards here

djonkoman,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
By the time they get over this side of Atlantic they fill out and can be as little a slightly wet and windy low pressure system, or more normally very wet and windy and stormy, and sometimes still pretty bad altogether. We had a 'hurricane' in my home area in the South East of England in October 1987, so not exactly common- and that was a depression that originated in the Bay of Biscay- so our very own version, rather than a genuine tropical hurricane. Didn't quite have the same charachteristics, but comparable wind strengths. I slept through it all, but it destroyed lots of our old woodlands that were not 'designed' for such weather (15 million trees lost, some ancient).

Good luck to folk affected. Having spent years working at sea my thoughts are always with the poor f*ckers that are stuck out there through necessity during such weather. That's really scary.

WatTyler,

vapirtoo

J.F.K. airport here, and currently not much going on except some regular rain squalls.
(9:15 pm est)
My major concern is lights out which will kill my sump pump.
Pool party in toxic water anyone? My basement may be available!
I have 3 fully charged batts, so i guess I'm prepared.

My wife got pissed when she discovered that my " go " bag
was a small cooler filled with all of my vaping materials. :rolleyes:

vapirtoo,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
djonkoman said:
lwien said:

ah yes it was WARM water...
but the hurricane in the pic does get larger twards here

Larger yes, but that is only physically and visibly. Afaik, the larger it is, the less intense it is. Look at the map above, see how when its down by Florida, it's category 1 or 2, then as it nears new England, its category 1, then in Maine, it is a tropical storm, the biggest storm beside a cat. 1 hurricane...

And lwien....thanks for that little bit of info....totally IMO, but that Robertson character seemed a little wacked in the head, no?

Purpl3_Haz3,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
not as bad here as expected. wicked wind and a bunch of rain, some trees down, but no flooding because the storm pushed all the water out of the bay this time. my creek is damn near dry. very strange - i almost feel like i should be running away from a tsunami...
now we wait for the drainage to begin

herbgirl,

vapirtoo

Lame, Lame, Lame ....... Thank God :)
Power stayed on, ground water is slowly seeping
into my basement, nothing my wet vacs and
sump pump can't handle.
If the ground wasn't so saturated from last weeks
rain storm, this would have been a non-issue.
I've been timing the sump's cycle, and it has been
getting quicker, so I'm not totally in the clear. :uhoh:

vapirtoo,

lwien

Glad it didn't get as bad as it could've. Nice to hear that everyone's ok.

lwien,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
yeah, pretty mild here too. Didn't lose power, but lost ComCast for several hours before going to bed.

One of my PCs won't start up ... it must be confused not working for a day and a half -- a lot like me.

Hippie Dickie,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Yeah, I guess I'll report in from the last post US wise...I am on the internet, with electricity, and satellite TV works...it wasn't as bad here either. Mild tropical storm. The wind was pretty heavy, and maybe it still is (I'm in the basement....) but nothing crazy. It rained quite a lot as well...I did make a 2.5 hour drive during the beginning of the storm, from camp to home. Along the way, I saw numerous interesting sites. 1st, was the neat rolling, black, low to the ground, storm clouds...They moved so fast! I saw numerous trees, the majority of the road was covered in leaves, small sticks/branches, and the occasionally mid size to large tree limb. There was only one time in which I had to stop, wait for opposing traffic, and go around something. I did have to avoid a few large limbs, but there was hardly anyone on the road. The few people on the road were driving as if it were still a category 1. I saw a flag that used to have a towns name on it, hanging from its pole, with the center of the flag ripped out, only the outer edges remained. The wind did get fairly fierce, but only in gusts. the steady wind wasn't anything horrible. That being said, I had no issues driving, with the wind, and rain when it was raining.

Glad to hear that everyone else here seems to have fared well!

So long Irene :peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
FWIW, here in my neck of the woods it really wasnt that bad. Sure the trees threw up and we lost power (and cable) :( But it wasnt too bad.

I think the worst part was having to go onto the inlaws boat TWICE to tie and retie it to the piles so it wouldnt end up in someone elses yard down the river. :o Yeah, that was kinda some scary shit.

Other than that, nothing noteable. Oh... Except the fact that we lost power on Saturday but still had cable. (I was excited cause I might actually have a chance to catch the fights via the generator) Til cable went out.

I think I went to bed early due to sheer depression alone. :lol:

AGBeer,
Top Bottom