Anyone ever use/drink Thyme Tea?

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
We have a person from Guatemala in our lab for the summer, and he noticed that I've been coughing like an SOB for 3 days. (Coming off of a very bad cold, vaping and bonging has been extremely harsh on my upper airways, but I can't take analgesics/anti inflammatories so I've been continuing my MJ usage unabated). But coughing to the point where almost everyone noticed :)

So this guy tells me to make a tea of Thyme. Just pour boilng water over Thyme leaves, let it steep until the leaves sink to the bottom and then drink. Homey added as optional. At first, I added honey and then bourbon because I thought it tasted gross (but now I kind of dig the taste). Anyways, I'll be damned, but it works, and very effectively. Reduces throat irritation, and almost kills the cough.If this was a prescription medication, I would have gladly paid the cost.

Looking a little bit finds out that Thyme contains Thymol, a natural anti microbial/other compound. Possesses expectorant and analgesic properties as well.

The colour of the tea is a dark olive green. Tastes slightly like Chicory (great stuff by the way).

Tom

tdavie,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Thyme is powerful stuff. So much so, in fact, that it' essential oil used to be used to sterilize surgical instruments. It's also a main ingredient in listerine. add some licorice root (only if no hypertension) or some marshmallow root if the cough is particularly irritating, these herbs have a slippery mucilage that coats the throat naturally and adds to the healing process.

herbgirl,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Thanks Herbgirl. A quick question; do you mean to avoid both licorice root and marshmallow root if hypertension? Or just licorice root?

Tom

Fascinating stuff by the way.

tdavie,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
just licorice root is contraindicated in hypertension, marshmallow is safe for most anyone and will work just as well (if not better because it's more slippery) for the purpose, it's just not as sweet. as always, YMMV, be safe!

yes, it is fascinating - neat to see it at work in real life as well the first time you think 'oh, i've got herb x in the cabinet now and a problem that herb x can take care of, i should probably try it first before i go for the pills..' it really changes your whole way of thinking in some ways.

herbgirl,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Thanks herbgirl. I assume that the licorice being a no go for people with hypertension means that I shouldn't eat organic, black licorice? A bummer that.

Is it also reasonable to assume that my choice of spices is also going to have some kind of physical effect, and more so if used heavily? As an example, I eat a lot of Cumin, Hot Chili (mostly Thai and Chinese), Caraway, Coriander, Cardamom; I guess mostly spices coming the Middle East/Pakistan/India and Thailand/Vietnam. Sorry if that sounds really vague.

Tom

tdavie,

wthanna

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice, also sold simply as DGL, is a type of licorice that does not raise blood pressure. I take it to help with upper GI issues... found at your local health food store. ;)

wthanna,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
small amounts of organic black licorice candy (this assumes just a chewy sugar base flavored with licorice root) are unlikely to cause problems, it's the pure dried root I'm referring to. Taken regularly, or in large quantity it can raise blood pressure dangerously. In sensitive individuals, even a small amount can cause problems, so it is generally considered best for all hypertensives to avoid it. DGL licorice root is an option, but i don't know if it has the same effect in the body as the whole herb.

herbgirl,
Top Bottom