Anybody Use a Straight Razor?

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
my grandfather sent me two razors to play with...i think i'm old enough, but am also afraid i might be too old to develop the knack...?

I've watched a couple of videos on youtube, and have a couple of windows open to read thru for directions.

di-XVAF.jpg

I am having a hard time NOT thinking of a video from a few years ago where some Russians' cut off a guys head on video. (shiver)

I need to make some soap and a strop paddle.

VWFringe,

SD_haze

I have no problem with a professional barber doing it but I'd never trust myself with one of those beasts :o

SD_haze,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Ah Jesus man, I used my Grandpa's straight razor kit about 20 years ago. Never, ever again. Those things are very sharp and they come too close to certain arteries and veins.

Tom

(I do have a picture of my Grandpa in Belgium in WW1 and his skin looks like a baby's ass)

tdavie,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
disposables are making me miserable, and four-blade refills were killing me.

(been cutting my own hair over a year, maybe this'll work out)

VWFringe,
I go electric razor - then a tri-blade close electric razor - then a high quality 4 blade razor. Because the razor has to do so little actual work it lasts forever.

charliedontsurf,

gobbly

never dared to do it on myself, but I loved having barbers give me a straight razor shave. Don't think many do this anymore, I haven't been able to find one since I moved from Indianapolis.

gobbly,

momatik

I use one. Some people recommend practicing on a balloon, although I never tried it myself. Shower and exfoliate before you shave, especially at the beginning. Makes it much easier. Go with the grain and just be patient.

momatik,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I use an old fashioned single blade safety razor. MUCH cheaper than the ol' triple track. Better shave. Bristle brush for lather

I have not tried the straight razor

willieR,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
lepstadder said:
i go au natural

hahahaha, thought we were in the underpants thread for a sec

I dropped in on an old fashioned barber shop locally who specialize in straight razor shaves, looking for shave soap and a strop...they get $28 bucks for a shave! (I said you're in the right neighborhood....I'm Not!")
but he gave me the card of his supplier in Long Beach, prices sound good ($22 strop)

i'll post blood-splatter shots, if any

VWFringe,

VaporEyeSore

I used one for a while but got scarred and scared too many times. I taught myself by shaving a balloon. Foam up a ballon with shaving cream and shave it all off without poping the balloon.
When you can do that your ready to start on skin.
Nothing shaves like these do. I could shave with this and 24 hours later I would still be smoother than if i shaved with a normal razor. So you only have to use these about 3 times a week and be smoother than a guy who shaves everyday.
And they are real beuaties be a shame to leave them in drawer for years.
Or at least leave them in the bathroom so it looks like you use them :lol:

VaporEyeSore,

Tragikkkkk

I'm all about the Hydro :cool:, the Schick Hydro. I've been allergic to a chemical in shaving cream/gel since I can remember and have shaved just with a razor, no creams/soaps/gels - just warm water, for over 10 years. My friends think I'm crazy but after that long it seems as normal to me as shaving with cream, although razors play a huge factor into how your face feels afterwards and the Hydro is the best one I've tried to date.

As for shaving with a straight blade, you're safer using one of these
s_torch2.jpg
:brow:

Tragikkkkk,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Years ago I took a full blade length cut across the cheek from a young, probably apprentice (15-16), barber when his thumb lifting the top of my cheek/head slipped just as he went to make the shave. It was in Asia, and he rubbed it with some kind of slippery crystal. Anyone know what it was?

:lol: it was quite a bad cut- the full blade length, and as deep enough to bleed for well over 5 mins as he rubbed this thing on it. But I STILL paid him :rolleyes: he looked shit scared after he'd done it, so I felt bad!. Maybe the boss gave him a beating anyway......

VW's look terrifying. Belong in a crime scene or horror film. I couldn't possibly wave them near my jugular. Gave up a year ago anyway and let them grow, except for a little sculpting :cool:

WatTyler,

momatik

It really isn't THAT hard. At least I don't think it is. I've never really cut myself that bad. I'd say a straight razor with disposable blades like this is probably more safe than the legit ones though. This is a setup you'll find in a lot of barber shops. I like it because I can use a fresh blade every time.

Magic%20razor%20Lg.jpg

100_derby_professional_single_edge_razor_blades.jpg

momatik,
Tragickk, there has to be some safe, great alternative to shaving creams and gels. Have you tried the Kramer method and used butter? :lol: But really, neem oil or something, simply some hand soap suds if you those don't cause reactions. Get some high quality, obscure-ass hand made soap and use the suds from that. I have some Jordanian soap with an ingredients list that lists, literally: "Olives." It's bitching and lathers like a mother, I could imagine it making a great shaving gel.

You guys are crazy to care this much! Maybe I'm a lazy, slovenly animal, but I find the set of electrics to be adequate most of the time. By that I mean the normal barber's electric razor, and then the razors with three, circular blades driven by an electric motor. First one, then the other, and you have a relatively civilized shave with no pain or severed arteries.

charliedontsurf,

VaporEyeSore

WatTyler said:
Years ago I took a full blade length cut across the cheek from a young, probably apprentice (15-16), barber when his thumb lifting the top of my cheek/head slipped just as he went to make the shave. It was in Asia, and he rubbed it with some kind of slippery crystal. Anyone know what it was?

:lol: it was quite a bad cut- the full blade length, and as deep enough to bleed for well over 5 mins as he rubbed this thing on it. But I STILL paid him :rolleyes: he looked shit scared after he'd done it, so I felt bad!. Maybe the boss gave him a beating anyway......

VW's look terrifying. Belong in a crime scene or horror film. I couldn't possibly wave them near my jugular. Gave up a year ago anyway and let them grow, except for a little sculpting :cool:

Its Potassium Alum m8. Alum aftershave.
ebay

VaporEyeSore,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^ Ahhh, nice one, thanks for that. I've wondered what that stuff was for years- and not been able to see it in any shops here. I guess because it's old school and not Proctor and Gamble.

Off to order one! Cheers

WatTyler,

SmokingElectricity

schick quattro>>>>>>>>>>

although the best thing i have found to shave with is....

noxzema.

leaves me with the smoothest skin possible. also great for your pores.

SmokingElectricity,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
videos on youtube show how to build lather that's stable - i think dry shaving and shower soap made my blades dull too soon

i will enjoy having control over the care of my blade, it has only been in the last few years that i've been able to produce a good edge on sharpening stones - as i research these i'm surprised at how little care they need if they've been kept up

the barber said people have reactions to glycerin sometimes, or other parts of the lather, so keep looking if water is causing premature dulling (and watch the videos)

I'll ease into using the straight razor - they say just one cheek for a few days, then the other side too, keep adding bits and pieces as you build muscle memory i guess.

VWFringe,

VaporEyeSore

you need to try the balloon method to shave the cream off without poping it, this is to get used to doing long strokes with asteady hand and even pressure, then when you go to skin its about doing small areas pulling the skin and following the grain with other hand and blade.

VaporEyeSore,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i did one cheek, it's odd using this thing while not being able to actually see where the blade is on my face because my hand blocks the reflection in the mirror,

then both cheeks the next day, not scary at all (not that close either except spots)

but on the third day the blade started to pull, that was scary
gonna wait until i get the leather to re-align the edge

suppose to do that each shave...or so i'm tole

i'll pick up some balloons, can't hurt to practice lifting the engaging the razor

i keep wanting to hold it any way i like, but recognize the wisdom of using standard grips, i have to build up familiarity with them, they don't come easy even tho they look easy

This is copied from Straight Razor Place:

Grip 1. This is basic grip which is useful for downward strokes (with the grain passes, WTG)
200px-Grip_1.jpg

Grip 2. Variation of the grip 1. Also pinky is over the back of the blade
200px-Grip_2.jpg

Grip 3. Like grip 1 but razor has pointed towards the sky. Useful for sideways strokes (across the grain passes, XTG)
200px-Grip_3.jpg

Grip 4. Useful grip for sideways strokes (across the grain passes, XTG)
135px-Grip_4.jpg

Grip 5. Like grip 1 but razor has flipped upside down. Useful for upward strokes (against the grain passes, ATG)
200px-Grip_5.jpg

Grip 6. Variation of grip 5
200px-Grip_6.jpg

Grip 7. Variation of grip 5
200px-Grip_7.jpg

Grip 8. Variation of grip 5
200px-Grip_8.jpg

Grip 9. Here is another variation of grip 5 which is useful with the grain passes, WTG. Thanks The Dude
200px-Grip_9.JPG

Grip 10. Same like grip 9 but razor flipped upside down to do a job in against the grain passes, ATG)
200px-Grip_10.JPG

VWFringe,
Top Bottom