Any suggestions for a good Pen for oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlwax

I have been using a V.i. Technologies V.i.P Mini, and the atomizer broke after 6 months or so. I can buy a new atomizer for $18.00, but does anyone in the forum have a good alternative that is a pen that can burn oil? I don't need to burn flowers, just oil.

earlwax,

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
Disclaimer: I have no experience at all vaporizing oils/concentrates, but I just remembered reading a post about them and thought I could steer you towards people who do.

From the New to Vaporizers Thread -

If you use concentrates look into these pen style vapes - Microvaped(ruvaped.com), Omicron (all models - v2, o-phos, persei), gpen, sticky wax burner.

Don't get an atmos raw, I've heard so many bad things about them.

Keep in mind I do not have any of these vapes, but I have used a lot of them...

I cut off parts of Kevdog420's post to show the parts that apply to concentrates.

Pickz,

earlwax

Also, I would rather it not be a wick system, as I am using BHO that is coming either pretty solid or more gooey.

Also, combustion may have to suffice for what I'm wanting and price range.

Disclaimer: I have no experience at all vaporizing oils/concentrates, but I just remembered reading a post about them and thought I could steer you towards people who do.

From the New to Vaporizers Thread -

I cut off parts of Kevdog420's post to show the parts that apply to concentrates.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Mod note: When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Three posts merged.

earlwax,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Hey man, check out the glass globe from ruvaped.com
I just got one and they are great, the best part is they are somewhat inexpensive, and made out of glass and ceramic. I also have an O-phos from delta9vapes.com and I like it, but it contains fiberglass in the cartridges so that makes me nervous.

The glass globe is the best option imo, because it is not made of sketchy parts, it works great, and its cheap. I've used a lot of pens, and this is by far my favorite, I tried it when i was in hawaii for a vacation and got home and had to buy one.

If you do decide to get a glass globe, i suggest you go this route and it comes out to about $75 (which is cheaper than the $90 from the site with a battery):
The glass globe attachment $50 - http://www.ruvaped.com/shop/glass-globe-attachment/
Then buy a Ego-c or an ego-T battery (a standard 501 threaded e-cig battery, Gaurenteed to fit with the globe): http://www.myvaporstore.com/Joye_eGo_C_Twist_Variable_Voltage_1000mAh_Battery_p/ego-c-tstxl.htm

If you want a battery that you can use while charging look for an Ego C passthrough ( or just let me know and I'll send you the link of where i got mine)

Kevdog420,

earlwax

Hey man, check out the glass globe from ruvaped.com
I just got one and they are great, the best part is they are somewhat inexpensive, and made out of glass and ceramic. I also have an O-phos from delta9vapes.com and I like it, but it contains fiberglass in the cartridges so that makes me nervous.

The glass globe is the best option imo, because it is not made of sketchy parts, it works great, and its cheap. I've used a lot of pens, and this is by far my favorite, I tried it when i was in hawaii for a vacation and got home and had to buy one.

If you do decide to get a glass globe, i suggest you go this route and it comes out to about $75 (which is cheaper than the $90 from the site with a battery):
The glass globe attachment $50 - http://www.ruvaped.com/shop/glass-globe-attachment/
Then buy a Ego-c or an ego-T battery (a standard 501 threaded e-cig battery, Gaurenteed to fit with the globe): http://www.myvaporstore.com/Joye_eGo_C_Twist_Variable_Voltage_1000mAh_Battery_p/ego-c-tstxl.htm

If you want a battery that you can use while charging look for an Ego C passthrough ( or just let me know and I'll send you the link of where i got mine)

Thank you for the reply. I don't really want one with a wick, so do you know of any others? I don't know really how they would work when the oil is more solid (with the wick that is).

earlwax,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Well the globe does have a wick I was wrong. the heating element is a metal coil on top of a ceramic cup and the wick is very secure, I'm going to do more research on it. I'm telling you it's the best invention for vape pens since they started. I've gone through 2 O-phos, my roomate had a g pen, and I've tried countless other vape pens, and this is the best I've ever come across. You can see when your oil is spent, you can see if anything combusts (which hasn't ever happened), It's super easy to load, you can see if you under/overloaded, and on top of that its made with the best MATERIALS - glass, ceramic, metal, nothing beats that in a vape pen.

That being said, there's really not much for under $100. But the thermovape cera is probably the best portable vape for oil, but i think its around $200. (also metal/ceramic construction)

Under $100:
Look for a sticky wax burner, those don't use wicks, pretty sure the micro G doesnt use a wick, Oh and Gentlemans brand has probably the best wickless cart on the market - http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/collections/cartridges/products/hash-oil-atomizer

I'd say if your not into Ruvaped's stuff your next best bet is gentlemans vapes. They are a trustworthy company, and their stuff is legit. The cart is wickless so i think its just what your looking for, it is also 501 threaded (so it works with ecig batteries), but again trust me on the glass globe, I've tried the gentlemans design and although it is marvelous, it still is just not quite as marvelous as the globe, and even though it does have a wick, it is differently designed and you can see if it becomes loose or if something goes wrong, so I don't think you have to worry about it. ;)
watch this (gentlemans)
and this (glass globe)

The one thing Gentlemans has going for them, is they've developed a rather inexpensive dry herb cart. I know you said you don't need to vape flowers, but it is worth mentioning because no other company has one like it.
http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/collections/cartridges/products/blank-dry-herb-cartridge

Kevdog420,
Reactions: momatik

shadycheeba

ive been in the market for a good BHO pen myself.ive been doing lots of research and 1 pen that has caught my attention is the vapor bros dabbler pen.seems quality is there priority judging what ive been reading.i forget specifics but the same top engineer that worked with davinci to help with the ascent also worked with vapor bros to create some new technology for the dabbler.no matter what company pen it seems atomizers/heaters will need to be replaced at some point.if a heater lasted you 6 months to me thats not bad?

shadycheeba,
Reactions: ShipDit

earlwax

ive been in the market for a good BHO pen myself.ive been doing lots of research and 1 pen that has caught my attention is the vapor bros dabbler pen.seems quality is there priority judging what ive been reading.i forget specifics but the same top engineer that worked with davinci to help with the ascent also worked with vapor bros to create some new technology for the dabbler.no matter what company pen it seems atomizers/heaters will need to be replaced at some point.if a heater lasted you 6 months to me thats not bad?

Thanks for getting back to me, and it was my first pen, so I didn't really have much of a reference point for longevity. I'll check out the Dabbler though. Thanks for the suggestion.

earlwax,

earlwax

Another question I just thought of. Can I buy a different atomizer than one from V.i.P? Will a new atomizer cartridge thread onto the battery of my old pen?

earlwax,

Tree Burner

I've also been looking for a good bho pen if it exists. I did buy a vapor cone elite pen but it ended up being a p.o.s. It does a horrible job for smoking herb. It burns it, you have to stir every 2 hits and getting 2 hits in a row was difficult enough since it only worked 25% of the time it seemed like. I started making oil and it does a horrible job with that too. It would heat the oil but for some reason the hits were tiny and it didn't really get me high. That same dab in my oil rig would have me lit. The atomizer broke after 10-15 uses. It had an electrical failure, the button wasn't pressed but the coil wasn't turning off so it burned itself out. Oh ya, and the taste out of the pen was atrocious. It smelled and tasted like a welding shop.

I heard good stuff about the omicron but I'm too skeptical about buying another pen without trying it first. I understand pens are not going to hit like my dome but if I can't get high off a hit or two out of a pen then I guess it's not for me. I could have gotten higher faster with my mflb/herb than that shitty pen. The taste has got to be decent as well.

Earlwax, did a quick search. It looks like VIP uses 510 threading.

Tree Burner,

earlwax

I ended up going with a Dabbler by Vapor Brothers, I read a lot of good things about it on its thread. I am earlwax and I couldn't find it anywhere.

earlwax,
Reactions: Atomsk

Breathemetal

Ive been trying to figure out what pen i wan to go with as well...im leaning towards the VIP2 or the Dabbler.
I dont care about filling .5g carts up and having it ready all day. I dont want to deal with leaks and all that crap.
Im fine with loading often and carrying a small jar of wax with me.

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Why don't you guys try out a gentleman's cart with a 501 battery? Very cheap and it's possibly one of the best carts on the market. Made out of stainless steel, ceramic, and nichrome with nothing else. It doesn't have a wick, and its backed by a very good company.

After having my glass globe for a week, i think the gentleman's is probably a better cart for me. The glass globe from vaped has a wick, which I was pretty disappointed about. But the glass globe is the hardest hitting vape pen I've ever tried, closest thing to a nail in a vape pen. the glass globe Gives me just as fat rips as I get off my Ti nail and its super easy to load just a dab if you want, so it has pretty good flavor if you don't fill it up all the way.

But I think everyone should try to stay away from carts that have wicks. Wicks are made of fiberglass and almost every pen right now has one, INCLUDING the Omicron/O-phos/Persei. The function of the wick is to absorb the oil and put it in contact with the heating element, which would be fine but these are made of little glass fibers that could come loose and get inhaled, sounds sketchy if you ask me.

And about the dabbler it looks like it is the same construction is Vaped products. A fiberglass wick wrapped with a metal heating coil surrounded by a ceramic cup.

Edit: The dabbler DOES have a fiberglass wick, vaporbros said so themselves in this thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapor-brothers-dabbler.8595/page-3
It is exactly like products from ruvaped.com but more expensive. This is nothing new people, if you want something truly different get a gentleman's cart, and they have adapters for any vape pen battery you might have.

shadycheeba

But I think everyone should try to stay away from carts that have wicks. Wicks are made of fiberglass and almost every pen right now has one, INCLUDING the Omicron/O-phos/Persei.

i wonder on the accuracy of that.....i was under the impression that wick systems are from some type of medical grade scientific glass.not like fiberglass insulation.

shadycheeba,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
i wonder on the accuracy of that.....i was under the impression that wick systems are from some type of medical grade scientific glass.not like fiberglass insulation.
They are made from scientific fiberglass, but it still is fiberglass, they say in that thread it is quartz fibers. I mean isn't fiberglass technically fibers of glass????

Kevdog420,

shadycheeba

hmmmm fiberglass is actually a polymer with glass in it.

i think what is being used is not really "fiberglass" but fibers of glass.

shadycheeba,

Tree Burner

Shadycheeba is correct. Fiberglass is glass reinforced plastic. Glass fibers would be the right term.

I pulled this from wiki although even it is correct it doesn't specify how harmful glass fibers can be:

The North American Insulation Manufacturers Association (NAIMA) claims that glass fiber is fundamentally different from asbestos, since it is man-made instead of naturally-occurring.[15] They claim that glass fiber "dissolves in the lungs", while asbestos remains in the body for life. Although both glass fiber and asbestos are made from silica filaments, NAIMA claims that asbestos is more dangerous because of its crystalline structure, which causes it to cleave into smaller, more dangerous pieces, citing the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:

Tree Burner,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Well either way, these fibers of glass can't be good for you if inhaled. And carts like Gentlemen's that are wickless are probably a better bet as far as health goes.

earlwax

I understand you really like Gentlemen products, but do you have any data to back up that wickless is better for you?

earlwax,

Tree Burner

Well either way, these fibers of glass can't be good for you if inhaled. And carts like Gentlemen's that are wickless are probably a better bet as far as health goes.

What kind of heating element do they use and how does it taste? My last one had a titanium(I think) coil that heated up. The hits were pathetic to say the least. You know how a shop that has grinding/welding/etc going on smells like? That's exactly what my last pen smelled and tasted like.

Tree Burner,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
I understand you really like Gentlemen products, but do you have any data to back up that wickless is better for you?
Honestly I don't have any gentlemans products, just heard stuff from people who own them. But you don't need any evidence to understand that glass fibers in your lungs is probably not such a good idea. I mean its your call if you want to risk getting glass in your lungs, I'm just trying to suggest an alternative.

Edit:
Is this something that looks nice to have in your lungs? I think not but then again, I don't have any data.

What kind of heating element do they use and how does it taste? My last one had a titanium(I think) coil that heated up. The hits were pathetic to say the least. You know how a shop that has grinding/welding/etc going on smells like? That's exactly what my last pen smelled and tasted like.
They have a nichrome heating element, encased in ceramic. I have never tried a gentlemans cart before, so I don't know how they taste But here is a review (at the bottom of the post): http://forum.grasscity.com/vaporizers/1205179-making-better-oil-pen-pics-included.html

Kevdog420,
Reactions: momatik

Tree Burner

But you don't need any evidence to understand that glass fibers in your lungs is probably not such a good idea. I mean its your call if you want to risk getting glass in your lungs, I'm just trying to suggest an alternative.

Some evidence showing glass fibers are indeed being inhaled would be nice.

Tree Burner,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
dude look at that video, Its a used silica wick and its falling apart, its the same type of wick that is on our vapes. I can see on my wick that it looks like its fraying. And its a risk Im not saying your for sure inhaling glass.

Kevdog420,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Ive been trying to figure out what pen i wan to go with as well...im leaning towards the VIP2 or the Dabbler.
I don't care about filling .5g carts up and having it ready all day. I don't want to deal with leaks and all that crap.
I'm fine with loading often and carrying a small jar of wax with me.
I am addicted to the PERSEI set ups.
Loading carts is so easy.
Batteries are key.
A $10.00 cart will yield 300 sometimes 400 rips.
100 hits per gram of wax.

You must be super rich to do dabbing?
I look at quality rips without wasting money!
I haven't had a leak since SEPTEMBER 2012.
If your willing to learn I believe it's worth it!

ataxian,

NYC5IKH5jabi

Well the globe does have a wick I was wrong. the heating element is a metal coil on top of a ceramic cup and the wick is very secure, I'm going to do more research on it. I'm telling you it's the best invention for vape pens since they started. I've gone through 2 O-phos, my roomate had a g pen, and I've tried countless other vape pens, and this is the best I've ever come across. You can see when your oil is spent, you can see if anything combusts (which hasn't ever happened), It's super easy to load, you can see if you under/overloaded, and on top of that its made with the best MATERIALS - glass, ceramic, metal, nothing beats that in a vape pen.

Under $100:
Look for a sticky wax burner, those don't use wicks, pretty sure the micro G doesnt use a wick, Oh and Gentlemans brand has probably the best wickless cart on the market - http://www.gentlemansvapes.com/collections/cartridges/products/hash-oil-atomizerrl]

I own a sticky wax burner and there is a wick which the coil is wrapped around. And I've seen the micro g pen. Pretty sure it was also the same. This micro vaped sounds very nice. It has a LCD screen too. I wonder if its comparable to my dabbler. Can anyone give us a pic of the heater for the micro vaped.

Also can somebody please clarify for me. How does the omicron have a wick yet the gentlemans doesn't? I thought we all agreed on this forum that gentlemans was a rebranded lesser quality omicron cart. Have I been lied to? I had a omicron and it didn't perform we'll enough for me. I think the safest one on the market today is the thermovape cera yet I haven't tried it so I can't be sure.

NYC5IKH5jabi,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom