Any General Tips for a Newbie ?

RighZ

Hi everybody,

I decided to "Fuck Combustion" about 7 months ago because it seems like my ENT system can't take it anymore and I went for a DaVinci Ascent because it was the only portable I could get from a local shop (actually a wierd hippie book shop :) ) at this moment. Now you can find a variety of it in several Grow Shops in Paris.

No need to tell me this Vaporizer isn't reliable, I red a lot about it and luckily, mine is working just fine for the moment. And I like it.

I just find it very hard to definitely adopt it, and I'm still smoking from time to time despite it's really not a good idea in my health situation. So I wonder if you guys could help me figure it out how wonderfull it can be to definitely use only vaporizers ?

First of all I understand well that the high cannot be the same and I share the opinion that toxins liberated by combustion must have something to do about it. But when I was smoking I had a lot of things in my mind to occupy my time (playing video games, deckbuilding, reading comics... rarely just watching tv). When I'm vaporizing I just feel like I don't particularly wanna do anything and I end up spending the evening watching TV for nothing interesting. It's weird because I don't feel lazy or tired, just not inspired or in the mood for anything.

Would you say it's normal ? I'm always vaporizing around 195 °C and maybe I should try other temperatures ? Would you recommend that I try another vaporizer, maybe something more like a Volcano ? Will it change the high ?

Now, how are you sure you're done with the content ? Can you turn the vaporizer off and keep it for later ? What do you do with the rest of it (Cooking ? Cooking how ? Vaporizing with higher temps ? Fertilizer :) ?) ? And can you always do something with it ?

Last but not least : Would you really recommend E-Cig Based vaporizers ? It's attractive for the discretion it provides but I'm not convinced that a 50 to 100 $ device can be as efficient as a 200$ one... ?

Thanks for the attention you'll pay to this long post

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Welcome to the site! There is much information here to read and learn!

The Davinci Ascent is a nice portable vaporizer. It has the best flavor of any vaporizer I own currently.

You can read the Davinci Ascent thread for tips about how to get best performance from the Ascent. But in general
1) Tamp down load - not hard, but compact slightly
2) Glass pipe screens (Glass Daisy Flower) Work well with the Davinci - add several while loading your ascent
3) Try a different mouthpiece - the 14mm Waterpipe adapter is perfect as a mouthpiece (there is an air leak where the two glass pieces meet - the 14mm adapter will close the air leak).

I just find it very hard to definitely adopt it, and I'm still smoking from time to time despite it's really not a good idea in my health situation. So I wonder if you guys could help me figure it out how wonderfull it can be to definitely use only vaporizers ?

It requires commitment. For me - I spent two weeks using ONLY my Davinci Ascent (I do not smoke cigarettes). After two weeks I tried to smoke with my normal glass piece only to discover the taste was VERY bad - :puke:

If you smoke and vape every day, it will not work. You must stop smoking for several weeks if you want to successfully fuck combustion.

When I'm vaporizing I just feel like I don't particularly wanna do anything and I end up spending the evening watching TV for nothing interesting. It's weird because I don't feel lazy or tired, just not inspired or in the mood for anything.

Would you say it's normal ? I'm always vaporizing around 195 °C and maybe I should try other temperatures ?

The fun part about vaporizers is that you can choose how you wish to medicate. At low temperatures, the effects are different, less sleepy. Higher temperatures are more sedative. You do not need a new vaporizer, you need to experiment!! :science:

In the morning/day I like to start at 165C and move up to around 185C. I save higher temperature for evenings.

RighZ

Thank you for your tips !
I do own a Waterpipe adapter (and a Pinnacle Bubbler) so I will try it as a mouthpiece this evening.
And I will start experimenting as starting from low temperatures can't do any harm.
But what are glass pipe screens for ? Just preventing little pieces from going up in the tube ?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Useless to tell me this Vaporizer isn't reliable, I red a lot about it and luckily, mine is working just fine for the moment. And I like it.

If you want it to last for a long time, make sure to never open the bowl lid more than 90° otherwise it can put extra stress on the wires and solders. Better be safe than sorry.

I just find it very hard to definitely adopt it, and I'm still smoking from time to time despite it's really not a good idea in my health situation.

You mention Paris, I assume you are french, and thus are likely to use tobacco in your joints, is this the case? Do you also smoke cigarettes?

When I'm vaporizing I just feel like I don't particularly wanna do anything and I end up spending the evening watching TV for nothing interesting

Are you sure it's not just a matter of your mood and/or the weed strain you are scoring at the moment? I feel much less tired and couch-locked since I vape and get way more heady effects.

As @Ratchett said, you should vape at lower temps to get an even more headier effect, which is often associated / compatible with creative activities. Try starting at 175°C and until you don't get much vapor, then raise to 185°C and do the same, then finally raise to 195°C and stop there if you are during the day. On the evening you can do a last level around 215°C to get more sedative effects. The 195°C level is already quite borderline between heady and sedative so you could stop at 185°C and finish the bowl later.

Would you recommend that I try another vaporizer, maybe something more like a Volcano ? Will it change the high ?

No I don't think the problem is the vaporizer. Vapor is vapor, it's more or less dense and extracted more or less fast but it's the same whatever the device. Try another strain if you can and also try to avoid the laced commercial shit flooding Europe these past years (it's sprayed with various adulterants usually)

Now, how are you sure you're done with the content ?

It's done when the hits are not satisfying anymore or when you find the taste too bad to continue. But you are free to stop when you are medicated enough of course!

Can you turn the vaporizer off and keep it for later ?

Yes but the taste is somewhat less good (a bit stale) I prefer to do smaller loads rather than many sessions with a big load.

What do you do with the rest of it (Cooking ? Cooking how ? Vaporizing with higher temps ? Fertilizer :) ?) ? And can you always do something with it ?

You can do a lot of things with it, check the ABV and edibles threads on this forum for safe recipes. Some don't bother with their ABV and just toss it though... Note that you can also reclaim all that good oil from the Ascent glass straws and this is better than ABV. Again check the forum for reclaim recipes / methods.

Last but not least : Would you really recommend E-Cig Based vaporizers ? It's attractive for the discretion it provides but I'm not convinced that a 50 to 100 $ device can be as efficient as a 200$ one... ?

No we don't recommend them, they simply don't work as advertized (with the exception of very few devices like Thermovape, Imag and the long awaited Grasshoper) most will combust because they have a coil in direct contact with the material. Some have a spacer such that the coil don't touch the herb but the reports are not good either. Stay away from them.

On the other hand there are a lot of budget vaporizers available, you don't have to spend a premium to get a working portable.

Now for the Ascent specific tips, please read the thread it's been discussed to death. You need to tamp the load (puck technic) or use glass flowers (one or the other method), you need to fix your vapor / air ratio (o-ring fix above or under the rim, mating straws or using Gong or Ed's stems), wait beween hits and sip as slowly as you can (you need to create the draw restriction yourself, compared to other vapes, as it's free flowing and you can overwhelm the heater easily)

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Ascent is probably a more difficult unit to have as a first vaporizer. It's worth the $10 to try out the glass pipe screen flowers from Amazon, it may improve your experience.

You really need more than 1 portable. Not sure how often you vaporize? Using a portable for a daily driver is putting a lot of wear and tear on the one unit.

I would suggest to get a nice log vape too. Think about reading up on the Solo, that can also be used as a desktop. A very sturdy portable IMO.

Try different temperatures with your unit and see what works for you. The Ascent requires a lot of homework. Read up on the glass flowers. They are talked about at length.

It's always good to get suggestions from others but try different techniques out. We're here to help.

EDIT
If you are adding tobacco, maybe that's your problem.

Last edited:

RighZ

...and as for tobacco? :)

Didn't smoke a cigarette for 6 months now, and using it with a 1/3 ratio when smoking it.
Really it's not the lack of nicotine making me smoke but the fact that I'm so used to this kind of high and I don't get the same with my Ascent.

RighZ,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
No believe me I used to think the same. I wasn't smoking cigs for a long while and thought this little bit of tobacco in my spliffs was harmless... big mistake!

Try to stop smoking for two weeks straight, no joints no nicotine. You will need to re-train your brain and create new habits. It will be hard the first week but afterwards it's so good you'll never look back!

Prior to that the first thing I did after waking up was rolling a joint, and I smoked all day long. After I made my transition I no longer feel the craving in the morning, and sometimes half of the day can pass before I feel the need to vaporize. I still need to use the plant, as it really helps me and it's a wonderful medicine, but I don't feel as much addicted as in the past. I clearly attribute part of this addiction feeling to this bloody nicotine...

Now as @CarolKing said you will probably need to have more than a single vaporizer, as you don't want to find yourself with a dead battery or away from a power outlet for too long etc. You need to always have a device ready so you are never tempted to combust again. When one is charging you can use the other.

There are many nice budget vaporizers available and new models are released almost monthly these days. I can recommend you the FlowerMate 5.S as it's a great vape for a beginner, and if you drop me a PM I'll hook you to my Smiss contact so she can get you a sweet price. But there are many other good ones, have fun reading the threads here! And yes, getting a desktop device on top of two+ portables is the best.

RighZ

Thank you very much for your answers.
I started to lower temp but wasn't convinced so I ordered Daisy Flowers and tried it yesterday.
That is exactly what I needed !! Lower temps + Daisy Flowers and I really find myself in my Ascent.

Thanks again Kerozen and CarolKing !

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Thank you very much for your answers.
I started to lower temp but wasn't convinced so I ordered Daisy Flowers and tried it yesterday.
That is exactly what I needed !! Lower temps + Daisy Flowers and I really find myself in my Ascent.

Thanks again Kerozen and CarolKing !
More people need a positive attitude like you! Glad everything's workin for you, sorry for finding this thread late!

Top Bottom