Any advice on how to help my arthritic dog?

caseball2051

I know we have alot of dog lovers here. Pleading for some help.

This arthritis came on remarkably quick. It is sort of amazing. Her muscles jsut deteriorated.

I massage her hips every day a cuople times but it doenst seem to help. I try to play with her once in the morning and in the evening too to get some low impact excercise in but its not helping. We give her a prescription from the vet too.

Anybody have any experience they can offer? Are walks counter productive or would they help? Its to the point now where I have to put a gate up so she cant go upstairs. im afraid shes going to fall down teh stairs.

Its starting to get cold and Im hoping it will help. But it could do the exact opposite too. :( Its sad to watch.

caseball2051,

caseball2051

i didnt think of treats like that. thanks for the tip vicki.

Ill have to go to the store and see what they have tomorrow.

caseball2051,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
i didnt think of treats like that. thanks for the tip vicki.

Ill have to go to the store and see what they have tomorrow.

They aren't really treats, they are considered a supplement. If you go to a local pet store, like Petco, ask them for joint supplements for dogs that contain glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. The link I provided is a good quality joint supplement for a reasonable price. These kinds of supplements can get really pricey.

Vicki,
This is pretty temporary, but whenever my dog jams his shoulder or is stiff from hiking etc, I put one or his blankets in the dryer for a bit and then wrap him in it . He's not really arthritic, just getting older. Anyway, he loves it. I would think heat would be better than cold. Best of luck!

wunderkind,

thesoloman

My Akbash dog hurt his shoulder 2 months ago we started giving him human grade glucosamine that we buy at costco. He has improved greatly, just throw a pill in a hotdog and hes willing to eat it no problem.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
My son's dachshund had something similar happen where one day he just couldn't walk. They've tried steroids and anti inflamatories and they weren't working. The only alternative they were given was $7000 back surgery to correct the deterioration and put plates in. They do not have that kind of money and looked into a holistic vet. After some acupuncture and other treatments, the dog is walking perfectly again. You might want to see if there is a holistic vet in your area.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to see these guys suffer.

Top Bottom