Anxiety and vaporizers?

89Vision

I apologize in advance if a topic like this exists already, but I couldn't find much.

I'm in my 20s, a grad student, and just moved to an apartment, and would like to use a vaporizer, partially so there's no smell (I was busted before because neighbors in another apartment smelled it and called the cops). However, I have had a problem with panic attacks in the past, and from time to time, MJ can induce pretty strong anxiety in me. Searching other forums, there doesn't seem to be a general consensus as to whether vaping the substance helps to alleviate anxiety, or causes more of it. A lot of people describe it as a more clear-headed high, clean, and relaxing, which sounds pretty good to me.

I'm planning on getting the VaporCannon soon, though I'd like to hear some thoughts from you all about the anxiety issue before I spend that kind of money. I enjoy meditation and deep-breathing exercises and they help greatly with anxiety/panic attacks, though I'd rather just enjoy the high than spend it calming myself down.

Thanks.

89Vision,
hi 89visio sorry about anxiety u may need to move find kind neighbors u can try hi-power ozone machine 4 just enuff to neutralize smell anymore & may bother u or neighbors "whats that strange smell?"
Also w/ vaporizer may b leave windows open strong fan dunno try cookin brownies/swamp h2o if cookin u can reduce smell instead leavin brownie bakin for 40 min @ 280 try small brownie cookies may take 8 minutes :p o eat a little bit 4 relaxin if u eat too much can kinda b couch lock anxiety o well

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

Plotinus

I don't know much about the Vaporcannon, but I'm also prone to anxiety and have yet to experience anything like an attack while vaporizing (I use a Purple Days.)

I doubt there's much of a category difference between vaporizing and smoking when it comes to this, as in both cases you're still ingesting THC, the putative cause of anxiety. The difference is that the Purple Days forces me to take an incremental approach because of its small size. So whereas a major bong rip might have me reeling right over a cliff, 3 or 4 slow, steady draws on a PD get me to the right place at the right pace.

I don't think the same can be said for all vaporizers (thinking of the Volcano). Some of them are "party vapes" designed to knock you on your ass. If you're someone who freaks out easily, I'd suggest avoiding those.

Plotinus,

steiner666

Serial vapist
i think the only way that you could get a different effect is if you lightly vape the herb and extract mainly just THC from it without a good balance of the CBN/CBD and other actives. From what i remember reading/hearing, they balance eachother out, and too much THC without these others can cause anxiety and paranoia in some ppl. Not familiar with the vaporizer you mentioned getting in particular. But as long as it has a variable temp control and a temp range that allows you to extract the higher temp compounds, the buzz shouldnt cause any undesirable effects for you.

and fuck, if i had neighbors calling the cops for smelling weed i'd have some major anxiety too. i know its easier said than done, but maybe changing your location to one with a bit more privacy and seclusion would do more for your anxiety than anything to do with herb intake would. although you're definitely making a good decision switching to vapor, because, as you said, they wont be able to smell that. unless they're part bloodhound.

steiner666,

89Vision

Thanks for the help so far. I checked out the Purple Days and it looks very nice, and inconspicuous. I might have to consider that one instead. Will vaping at higher temperatures cause there to be a weed smell? I definitely would like somewhere with more privacy and seclusion, but that isn't really an option for me at the moment. I'm a student, and can really only afford the cheapest apartments.

Yeah, a good portion of anxiety does come from being caught again. I don't think this place shares vents like at my other place, but still.. in this state, a second offense carries a possible 1 year prison sentence and I'd likely lose my position in my grad program. The easiest solution would be to just quit, but well... you know how that goes.

Thanks again for the responses so far.

89Vision,
go 4 it nothin wrong w/ quit schmokin/vapin then just do swamp h2o extracts w/ everclear grain alc dont have to worry about vapor smell if u cant bake brownies just dropperful of extract 4 gud buzz :p

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

Qbit

cannabanana
OK first you need to find a guy called Tony to 'take care' of your neighbours. :ninja:

Qbit,

Runnin420

It seems that the cannabinoids balance each other out. Some of them are antioxidants while others are meant for breakdown. Straight up THC might make you really anxious (Bad Party). As long as you vape at a temp higher than 157 C you should be fine. Results may vary, stay chill man :ko:
I know anxiety hurts

Runnin420,

Ash

vaporist
I'm living in a hotel right now, and I don't have any worries about using my PD. There just insn't any noticable smell. And, I can leave it out and housekeeping has absolutely no idea what it is.

I also sometimes get anxiety from MJ, though not what I'd call full-on panic attacks. That said, I have definitely noticed that I have less frequent and less intense anxiety from vaping than from smoking. Plotinus makes a good point, though. It may be more that with the PD it is easier to hit that sweet spot without going over it.

Ash,

niall

89Vision said:
would like to use a vaporizer, partially so there's no smell (I was busted before because neighbors in another apartment smelled it and called the cops). However, I have had a problem with panic attacks in the past, and from time to time, MJ can induce pretty strong anxiety in me. Searching other forums, there doesn't seem to be a general consensus as to whether vaping the substance helps to alleviate anxiety, or causes more of it. A lot of people describe it as a more clear-headed high, clean, and relaxing, which sounds pretty good to me.

I used to have the same problem - smell and fear of neighbours used to give me pretty bad paranoia, and I'd occasionally have an anxiety/panic attack from high THC strains. Both were major reasons for me investigating vaporizers in the first place - moreso than any health benefit.

From day 1 the smell issue was resolved - there just isn't any smell, well nothing that a neighbour would ever get to experience. However anxiety was still a regular issue until I started experimenting with temperature - I had to up the temps pretty much as high as I could before smoke was produced, ~220C. That helped for the most part, but it wasn't a total solution. It took many years to find a really heavy Indica, it became a bit of a decade long mission for me, and after finally getting my hands on some this was the final piece of the puzzle.

I suspect my anxiety is only partially a result of high THC strains (along with other the other low boiling point aromatics) - moreso smell, neighbour paranoia and my own perceptions were the major factor. But there was a major change once I found a heavy Indica - significant anxiolytic properties overrode any sense of fear I had regardless of whether it was an external or internal trigger.

I'd just make sure you experiment with high temps if you have any anxiety at lower temps, and try to find the right strain for you regardless of whether you're smoking or vaping.

Hope that's of some help!

niall,

FatalDanks

weed "panik attacks" related to diet? (merged)

Hi im new here im 18 years old and have been smoking daily since the age of 13 in Alaska.
I consider myself a very experienced smoker of quality cannabis, and only recently have i experienced what i believe to be panic attacks very shortly after smoking

I've read a few threads here and this seems like a really helpful community and a few people have actually described almost exactly what has been happening to me, mostly this thread http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3203

So basically for the last few months i have been really stressed out and have been smoking a lot, and sometimes i will be smoking and then all the sudden my heart rate just goes nuts, my muscles tense and cramp, and i have to sit down and tell myself nothing is wrong and its only weed. (The only thing i can compare the feeling to is hyperventilating after one to many lines or the one time i took shrooms and had a "bad trip"and was told it was just a "panick attack")

i have been having terrble appetite problems which cause me to feel hungry but the smell and whatever of food repulses me till about halfway through the day which is the only thing i can think of which might be causing some of this fxxxin stupid problem

i really want to keep enjoying herb forever and im not used to asking for help so im sorry for long post

FatalDanks,

89Vision

I really appreciate everyone's responses, thanks. Will a PD heat the weed up enough to release other cannabinoids, or is it mainly just THC? I couldn't find any definite temperatures for the PD.

While I've never used a true vaporizer (just the do-it-yourself lightbulb vape), it seems that the smoke may also be causing some of my anxiety. There have been studies that seem to indicate that higher levels of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide can trigger panic attacks, so I'm hoping this might be part of the issue as well.

I can understand, FatalDanks. One thing I would suggest is meditation/deep breathing and knowing your body. Meditation can cause many significant, positive changes in the brain if kept up with over a long period of time. Also, for me, if I'm honest with myself, I can usually tell if smoking might be a bad idea at the moment, depending on how much anxiety I'm feeling and what type of anxiety. If you've had a long, stressful day at work/school, it can be nice. If you feel like you're on the verge of a panic attack, or currently having one, probably best to avoid it at the moment

89Vision,

max

Out to lunch
Will a PD heat the weed up enough to release other cannabinoids, or is it mainly just THC? I couldn't find any definite temperatures for the PD.
Yes. It's about 190-195 C.

There have been studies that seem to indicate that higher levels of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide can trigger panic attacks, so I'm hoping this might be part of the issue as well.
CO increases as the temp goes up, so a fixed temp vape is good for avoiding toxins.

max,

wolf torn

Get a vaporizer man

I am a very anxious person

but vaping leaves me feeling at ease about smell

and the high you get from vaping is much more anti-anxiety (for me at least) then combusting

when i started vaping I felt much more relaxed about being high in places never thought. Because its much more clear, productive high.

wolf torn,

jawsh

I have a PD and a VaporGenie. The VG you can definitely leaves a distinctive smell. The PD definitely does not leave any smell, is inconspicuous, AND if you really have anxiety about smells can be used as an aromatherapy device to hide any smell to alleviate your anxiety even more.

jawsh,

GreenLeaf

Vapor does not linger nearly as much as smoke does.

If you're that paranoid blow the vapor through a spoof (a soda bottle with holes burnt in it stuffed with dryer sheets), spray some ozium, open a window, or blow the vapor into a box fan or a fan in the bathroom if you have one.

However IME doing all of this just for vapor is completely unnecessary.

To the OP and others if you have issues with anxiety or panic get help for them.

GreenLeaf,

TACOBOY

I suffer from minor case of anxiety. Before I vaped, smoking caused panic attacks-- in short I was screwed. But since I started vaping I'm great and feeling much better.

TACOBOY,
Top Bottom