All Glass???

sal69

Hi,

i want to ask a rather simple question. Everywhere in throughout this forum everybody seems to be in favor of an all glass vapor path. Because only this can conserve or not alter the taste.

I wonder if this is true in any sense. I cannot speak from personal experience since i do not own a vaporizer using a singe piece of glass (volcano, mflb) but i do not feel i suffered from bad taste (but i cannot compare also ...).

But what makes me wonder is that the number#1 industry specialized in different tastes does not use glass all that much, i mean Cooking. If anything but glass alters the taste, they would be the first ones to notice. Every expensive restaurant would be cooking with all glass equipment, and advertising this i guess if there would be a difference.
Has your bacon tasted like metal last time you put it in the pan?
Also did you ever see a tobacco pipe made only of glass for the taste?

Why are vaporists so keen on having everything out of glass?
Personally i don't have anything against glass i am just wondering if this is a myth.
Maybe we can get the myth-busters to work on this one ^^.
But after all taste is a very subjective thing you can barely test in a controlled manner.

What do you think?

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I think it's largely myth, though there certainly are smelly materials that have been used in the past lol. I think glass is viewed as a 'safe' bet and so they want to stick to that. It's not very progressive, but fair enough I suppose if you been burned once already.

I can not taste the difference between bottled and canned beer in a blind taste test once it has been decanted. I have tried at a beer festival with the same brew.

I bet glass vapor purists can't tell in blind taste test either :2c:

WatTyler,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
for me, glass is a mental thing. Although, i would use glass cookware if i could find it, but it may be too fragile in my kitchen -- pyrex isn't borosilicate anymore.

and i don't often drink beer, but when i do, it must be from a glass bottle.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I agree with Hippie and WatTyler, it seems a little bit overblown. Maybe this is because many years ago vapes where not as refined/popular as they are today, and some of the early models had potential for dangerous fumes.

A few positives about glass that could also be a reason:

-Easy to see dirt
-Easy to clean, reclaim goodies
-Inert, so its healthy (most glass) and adds no taste

I really see no point of all glass path before entering the heater as your drawing the air from the entire room, so unless its filtered you can still get contaminants.

Tweak,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I see the point. I'd rather have room air move up through glass, than say PCB's, plastic wires, etc.

I'm guessing you mean the Extreme Q. I'm not even sure if the air you draw thru is coming from the bottom, as when I completely block off the bottom hole I can still draw air thru. My guess is that it pulls most from the top back through the chamber.

Edit: After re-watching the Vapeworld video on how to replace glass heater cover, it seems that the PCB is separate from the direct intake path, so I'm not sure how much air is being moved across it. I'm sure though if a PCB would leak gas it would be drawn into the path by suction.

Do PCB's have potential to leak gas? From my limited experience the things to worry about are the capacitors.

Tweak,

vape4life

Banned for life
I have taken the EQ apart... and there is the PCB, wires, etc. Surely it's room temp air, but the EQ gets pretty hot inside, so who knows. Regardless, i'd rather have an all glass path than that. The Solo is the same way, I could taste the solder until it finished "offgassing".

vape4life,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i do really like clean glassware. and when i see the clean i know the airpath is spotless, too.

i often remember when i hold the Bud Toaster in the palm of my hand that i am holding an oven that is running hotter than the one used to roast the Thanksgiving turkey -- to me, that is some serious heat. i like glass.

Hippie Dickie,

Bouldorado

The best taste comes from a clean airpath. Once the airpath sees heavy use, it will become resined up, negatively affecting taste. So really all you need for good, consistent taste is a removable and easily cleanable airpath. also, an airpath that has greater resistance to condensation will retain the best taste.

Bouldorado,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hippie, are you making the Bud Toaster as a vaporizer for release to the masses? Or is this just your personal little baby? :)

vape4life,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Current plan is to make 1000 units. They will be released when it is legal to sell and own a mj vaporizer. Most likely through medical dispensaries. At least that's the current plan.

Hippie Dickie,

Nycdeisel

Glass seems to be the most inert. Taste is better, wont be damaged by even strong acids or solvents, and can be cleaned completely, which affects the taste too.

And glass cookware is where its at! I use it in my kitchen whenever possible. :)
In fact its aluminum that is the worst for cooking, along with anything thats got one of those "non-stick" coatings... even stainless steel is not always ideal. ceramic is great.

Dont forgot the entire art of glassblowing, which seems to fit right snug into our herbal culture.

I can definitely taste a difference between different pieces of cookware as well.

edit: there ARE tobacco pipes made of glass for the taste! haha
and dont forget bongs and such! :science:

Nycdeisel,
The difference in taste between an all glass and other airpaths is immediately noticeable to me, and I think a double blind test would bear that out. Going from the VM2 to the VHW is like night and day for instance, I can really tell which I'm using, the same goes for my buddy's DBV vs VHW.

I think it's largely myth, though there certainly are smelly materials that have been used in the past lol.

I'm kind of surprised Wat, you don't really dig the taste of the retained heat method of the Vapocane? You don't find it to be better than your SSV or Solo for instance?

charliedontsurf,

nowonknows

All glass does make a big difference. I thought my extreme q, friends ssv, and others I can't think of tasted great, then I got an LSV and there really is a much fresher, cleaner taste. The others didn't taste bad, as said I thought the taste was great, but after using the LSV for a year, the thought of using a friends non glass vape is always somewhat disapointing :lol:

Nycdeisel

All glass does make a big difference. I thought my extreme q, friends ssv, and others I can't think of tasted great, then I got an LSV and there really is a much fresher, cleaner taste. The others didn't taste bad, as said I thought the taste was great, but after using the LSV for a year, the thought of using a friends non glass vape is always somewhat disapointing :lol:
Just wait until you try a RockZap ;)

max

Out to lunch
Nycdeisel said:

Rick would like permission from both of you to post both comments on his website, for sales purposes.

Just kidding, but that really is a big :tup:for the zap, considering Nyc's glass experience.

dannkk

It can't be the only material suitable, but what it is, is a material everyone knows to be safe.

The question about solder was interesting. I'm a bit of an electronics hobbiest. I build arcade sticks. The solder sold in like radio shack, has a melting temp of around 450-500 degrees. That stuff is very unhealthy, but that's not what will be used on a factory made PCB like the Q. That will be a much safer, higher melting temp. solder. Around 600-800 degrees. Looking up some info, lead won't even vaporize until it's over 1200 degrees. Rosin, which is used with solder to clean the joint, would be a concern, and can vaporize at much lower temps, but this can/should/is cleaned off before the unit is used/shipped.

dannkk,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I think with vaporizing it is not only about safeness of the materials. I think that materials can have higher melting points then the vaping treshold and so, still be, safe. But they change a hint or more than a hint in some cases, of the taste of the vapor you inhale. And in case of cooking, the food you are cooking. That is why, IMO, glass is so superior to everything else.

vorrange,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
but that's not what will be used on a factory made PCB like the Q. That will be a much safer, higher melting temp. solder. Around 600-800 degrees

i'm not sure that's true. all the info i've seen on surface mount technology (SMT) soldering uses a heat tunnel (kind of like a toaster oven -- at least there are DIY instructions for doing SMT with a toaster oven mod) that has a time/temperature profile that hits about 500°F.

As long as the PCB stays "cool" (say, 150°F) during vaporizing, and the air doesn't pass over the PCB, solder should be a non-issue. Air intake needs to be controlled.

Hippie Dickie,

dannkk

To be honest, on that part, I'm not positive either. I don't have the specs on it or anything. Just know I have to turn my iron up to 650/700 when I need to melt factory solder on pins or whatnot. Usually leave the SMD components alone, unless I'm repairing something.

Point was basically...it's gotta get really hot for solder to be a health issue. Just wanted to clear that up for someone that had concerns earlier in the thread. Taste is another story.

BTW, very impressed by your Bud Toaster thread. Tempted to try and make one.

dannkk,

nowonknows

Different things will effect flavor differently or not at all. Clean your vape, inhale from it unpacked, what ever you can taste will be added to the flavor of what you are vaping through it, some woods and other materials might add something positive to it, plastic IMO doesn't. Some are stronger then others, but I have found all glass gives the purest taste.

nowonknows,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I thought the glass thing was a bit of hype, but I tried using some glass tubing in place of my stock PD stems. I was surprised to find it really does make a difference to the taste. It also feels nicer against my lips, in my hand, and is really easy to reclaim resin and to get it sparkling clean. Even the dirty glass stem looks kind of nice, it makes it look like honey instead of just gunk like it does in the stock stems. It's a more pleasant experience in every way. I'm definitely a convert ;)

hazy,

SalamiCity

I have used a Vapor Bros, Volcano, Supreme, VHW, and Extreme, and the VHW was the best tasting(all glass airpath). If you have other things it can hinder the taste.

SalamiCity,
Top Bottom