Addiction theory

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
The fear of a kidney stone attack was more like continual terror. I was hospitalized six times as the Oxy would not break through the pain & once the high dose IV morphine was supplied it was game over as far as my resistance to fight the demons.

Yeah, I passed a stone a few years back with no insurance or money. The docs did a full work up to cover their collective asses and then double billed the state for everything, sent me home and said there was nothing they could do or give me. Good luck, they said.

Then an MRI scan from an E coli infection I had years later, shows yet another kidney stone I will have to deal with some day. Not looking forward to that one.

grokit

well-worn member
Nothing's a problem until it is. Or as has been brought up, until the "first step" is taken; when we realize that whatever we are addicted to has power over us, and as a result our lives are unmanageable. For me, alcohol isn't a problem because it doesn't work anymore anyways. It has become a stimulant rather than a sedative, and besides the fact that my neurology can't seem to tolerate any stimulants at all these days, the hangovers have become more brutal than ever. I like booze in theory, but now just have an occasional wine with a meal or a really occasional straight shot of something if I'm feeling particularly healthy.

My vices now, besides weed, are ice cream and my pain pills. I realized recently that I had complete control over the pills, but not the ice cream--at least not one particular variety. Then I realized the ice cream was worse for my health, at least since I've been in my post-hernia autoimmune meltdown. It would be different if I didn't have control of the opiates, but I realized that's because of my perception. I think of the codeine as heroin, and I understand how physical tolerance works. I could probably handle twice as many as I'm taking now, but I know that soon enough they would be only half as effective. Weed helps.

So with the ice cream, I had to develop a similar "love-hate" type of relationship to it, like I have with the pain pills. Meaning that if I want to continue to be able to enjoy it's "effects", that I would have to moderate my "usage". One obvious difference is that for all of it's deadly qualities, opiates don't spike my blood sugar. I may have to stop the ice cream completely; I have a lot to learn about late-onset type 1 diabetes.

Weed's funny, because it's only negative effects, as long as I have the right kind of strain and am vaping it, are on my pocketbook if my garden's not productive, and on my motivation, if I'm not being productive.

:smug:

Top Bottom