Acid: good or bad?

lwien

indigal said:
I am very thankful for the trips I've had, and think I landed with more than what I jumped off with, if that makes sense.
Oh yeah. Makes PERFECT sense. :)

But again, we need to reiterate to those that are reading all of these positive experiences that for most of us, most of the acid that we dropped back then was very pure in nature. There was an integrity of the chemists that produced these psychedelics. They desired to produce the finest and cleanest acid that they could produce. They had the expertise, and they had the empathy, and financial profit was not part of the equation, but it is today, and that makes for some very dangerous situations. I never paid for acid in my life. It was always just shared.

Was there bad acid back then? Sure, but that is why I only dropped acid from either chemists that we personally knew, or from the Owsley labs.

Again, I would not partake in any of the acid that is produced today, unless I had a personal relationship with the chemist that made it and had the confidence that they had the expertise to produce something worthy of being allowed to alter my "perception of reality".

lwien,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Just curious, how many years has it been for you? Me- acid, 11-12 years ago.

indigal,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Right. Some friends took "Ecstasy" in my apartment a few weeks ago and I wouldn't touch the stuff. I was told that there is heroin laced in there and some other stuff - it's a concoction of crap basically.
Stay with mushrooms if you want the psychedelic experience and vaping isn't too shabby either.
Even when LSD was made with integrity the main differences between LSD and mushrooms were the duration - say 12 hours versus 6 hours - and the electrical quality of LSD.
It's irrelevant because you lose your sense of time completely in the experience. A minute, an hour - there's no difference. It's all a continuous moment.
They both take you to the same place; the beyond within.

jeffp,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I've actually had some wonderful MDMA experiences.. I'd do X faster than any other, IF I knew it was real and not mixed with meth, caffeine, speed.. too much bunk around. 10 years ago, it was fantastic.

indigal,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Thanks for posting acid experiences in this thread. Never tried it myself, and not sure if I want to. Have tried mushrooms, but only a couple of times, and 20 years ago (or so). Never tried anything else other than Salvia (don't like it) and a few RC's (research chemicals), but playing with those was like playing with a loaded gun.

But I'm curious about acid. We'll see where it goes. And yes, it probably isn't a good idea for me to take it, but then I'm almost a professional at doing what I shouldn't :)

love this thread.

Tom

tdavie,

lwien

indigal said:
Just curious, how many years has it been for you? Me- acid, 11-12 years ago.
35 years ago. I stopped when Owsley was no longer available and the chemists that we knew were no longer making it. There's also a point in ones life, at least there was for me, when I said, ok, it's time to move on, and that point happened to coincide with the lack of pure/clean acid that I so thoroughly enjoyed.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
last acid trip for me was in '75 and my one and only experience with mushrooms was in '83.
you have to understand that one of the reasons why i cannot recommend it is that the present day culture does not support it.
there used to be this all pervading psychedelic counter culture that supported the experience in terms of art, music, lifestyle, etc.
it made the tripping experience much more rewarding - this is hard to explain but I think lwien knows what I'm talking about.
today versus yesterday is like tripping at woodstock or tripping at a shopping mall.
also the general vibe of yesterday was more positive, easy and hopeful about the world and life itself.
you really ought to think about these things before you decide to have this experience.

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
there used to be this all pervading psychedelic counter culture that supported the experience in terms of art, music, lifestyle, etc.
it made the tripping experience much more rewarding - this is hard to explain but I think lwien knows what I'm talking about.
Yup. Sure do. I never, ever, paid for any of the psychedelics that I ever took. They were just shared due to a pervasiveness of empathy that just doesn't exist today and it's that sense of empathy that made the experience so rewarding and so.............safe.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Jeff, you have put it all so well. Life changing. Life shaping. Your advice on reading material is spot on too. Look at what this drug was developed for.

We used to experiment with astral projection during tripping. I've had some serious "out of body" experiences.
And the time I saw the Universe clearly, was a night on some acid that I believe had strychnine in it. I was at a concert with people who were not the best people, using street acid and fortunately, with one good girlfriend. The acid hit as the light show for the band started. Then the pain hit. I couldn't even handle my hair being on my head and needed to leave immediately. We drove around for hours (she drove), not something I would recommend, but there weren't as many cars back then and we had no where to go. We ended up behind a church in a rural area on top of a hill. As we crested the hill, it appeared as if the night time sky opened up and I swear I saw angels. It filled me with joy and peace.
Just one of many times I felt I was a small speck in the consciousness around me, connected by energy.

No, I would never do acid again. Not even the "good" stuff. I'm too aware of myself now. Back then, I was pretty uninhibited. Ready to rock. Not so much anymore.

Edit: and that strychnine experience? My last time, for sure. So, over 40 years ago.

momofthegoons,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
thanks Mom.... i'll respond to what you wrote later, I promised my daughter I'd take her to Friday's for dinner, or something equally psychedelic.

jeffp,

lwien

Why'd you delete your post, Cappella. I thought it was pretty good.

lwien,

Purple-Days

"I get it", is the essence of the the thing.

Low doses (most street stuff) don't really let you 'get it'. You get high, sure, you may even trip a little, eww tracers and anxiety. But full blown 'ego death' is what the LSD-25 experience is about, it's scary as hell (sometimes). Not recommended, but neither is mountain climbing. Purity is a big factor as well as dose. Set and setting should be optimized of course.

I agree you never come down. And bonding with a fellow traveler while on acid, seems to be forever too... :2c:

Peyote (and other mescaline containing cactii) is certainly different from LSD at full effect. But similar in the selfless existence aspect. Very geometric visually. Sharp, not swirly or muted visuals.

Purple-Days,

Cappella Sistina

lwien said:
Why'd you delete your post, Cappella. I thought it was pretty good.
Thanks Lwien.

Mostly beccause a couple of people on here, know my affiliations to the industry in certain capacity's. While I am doing contract work now, and dont have a direct affiliation to a company.....I felt detailing those things seemed, a lil to personal.

;)

Glad you liked though. Those were some great times in my life...so far from who I am now though.

Cappella Sistina,

lwien

Cappella Sistina said:
Those were some great times in my life...so far from who I am now though.
Yeah, but they kinda help to make you who you are now, eh?

lwien,

ttomo

i def liked acid more than shrooms. my friend even grew several varieties from hawaiian cubenzas to these crazy philosopher's stones. just couldnt get into them. and their effects were unlikable to me.

sid on the the other hand was scary and amazing. my first try was some hand torn blotter triple dip, and my irresponsible friend didnt really prep us for it. we were in arlington cemetery at the start - it was nice til sun went behind clouds and they wanted to leave which left me driving in DC traffic 0.o I will say that this scared me for months afterwards, but at the same time it imprinted some amazing memories and feelings; even the scary parts are treasured memories. (James and Giant Peach really freaked us out)
he left the batch with me and i tried it on my own with much fun, and more good memories. I would get worried i had to return my movie rental, and then remember i had arranged it so it wasnt due til the next day. maybe repeated that quite a few times during the up, then after peak everything is so nice and relaxing.

had some liquid silver which was nice about 9yrs ago and some supposed LSD-25 came thru about 5-6yrs ago which was very quality adding to it's "original formula" rep.

lsd can get you close to nature, it can be scary, and it can be wonderful

-smoking bud can intensify the experience immediately and was great. you can take bigger rips without coughing, it seems to work as a cough suppressant.
-drinking alcohol is like drinking water - it seemed to have zero effect, so being careful of drinking amounts might be necessary.
-they say you can't sleep, and i dont know why you would want to waste it like that anyway, but i've seen one person fall asleep on acid, otherwise, i always believed that was impossible. it did "trip" the rest of us out though.
-my experiences were 14-18 hrs, and i would leave the next day open to process the experience.

want flashbacks?
http://www.larrycarlson.com/
i like the interactive flash animations the best :o

ttomo,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
-they say you can't sleep, and i dont know why you would want to waste it like that anyway,
I think it's more that after 12 hours of tripping, you are so wrung out and your body demands it But your brain wont let you.

@Momofthegoons

You just gave me goos bumps !
Raf, I'm not as eloquent as Jeff with my writing, and looking back at my post, it looks so trivial compared to the experience itself. I was a seasoned "tripper" when this happened. I had been tripping every week several times for several years. It was the only time I freaked out in all that time and was a life changing experience.

Darn Cappella, seems like I missed a good one. Yes, those good times sure do feel like a long time ago, but I wouldn't change a thing, not even the bad stuff. If you could see me now, you would never think I was the wild child of the past.

momofthegoons,

Raf007

Retailer
Momofthegoons, maybe not as eloquent as Jeff but your story nontheless gave me goose bumps (no irony of any kind here).
I can't explain y, but some times simple words are way enough to communicate a strong experience like the one you had that one time. .. like I could live that joy and peace you felt during that trip.

So thx again for sharing, you and the others of course :)

Raf007,

GreenLeaf

Make sure that you're getting LSD. Hopefully it won't be weak or a research chemical being passed off as LSD.

Strychnine is never put into acid/LSD. You're either going to get LSD/acid, a research chem, or else it will be fake and do nothing.

I agree that you should just take it and don't have any expectations and see how it goes. Make sure that you are in a good mood when you take it and that you're not going to drive or don't have any major pressing issues going on in your life.

If it's any good you'll get ego death and realize how many things are interconnected.

Maybe you will change and perhaps you will not. You do come down from LSD.

If you have never tried either acid or mushrooms there's no sense in reading other people's opinions on them. Take them both for yourself. They are both alike and yet different in many ways.

GreenLeaf,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
all true. one caveat regarding set and setting is that you may not know what your real mind set is until you start tripping. mood and set are different and you realize that as soon as you're off the relative plane.

also someone once said to me that the ultimate lesson learned from tripping is the realization that you are always tripping and always have been tripping and once you know that there's no further need for the LSD.

jeffp,

abhs

jeffp said:
all true. one caveat regarding set and setting is that you may not know what your real mind set is until you start tripping. mood and set are different and you realize that as soon as you're off the relative plane.

also someone once said to me that the ultimate lesson learned from tripping is the realization that you are always tripping and always have been tripping and once you know that there's no further need for the LSD.
when you say that we are always tripping, are you referring to the fact that we are usually not present in our daily lives?

acid is my favorite drug, bar none. i'm still a kid (21) so nope.. wasn't around when all the pure acid of the '70s was available. sadly, today it really is hit or miss (p.i.). the best shot you have at getting quality lsd today if you don't have a connect is at hippie concerts. be careful though.. i've seen people get scammed an entire sheet of blotter paper.

i'm sure that the quality has gone down today and that there are plenty of adulterates to be found (strychnine etc). would i still do it? absolutely. some of the greatest experiences of my life have been on it and it's been a driving impetus behind my spiritual beliefs.

i've done lsd a couple times over the past 2-3 years but i spread it out at least 2 months between trips. especially today, i think this is important.

lsd effects are permanent. people i know that trip frequently are much more mellow. i think acid gives you such an intense exposure to emotions that life experiences afterwards are somewhat mitigated. be sure you know that you are ready to take the trip. i spent three months meditating and getting into a proper mindset before tripping my first time at an umphrey's concert. probably not a good idea to do it at a concert the first time but i had a fucking blast! otoh, i had a friend that jumped headfirst into acid before being completely ready and he spooked for the entire night. he almost clawed his eyes out. taking care of a 6'+ 200 lb guy who thinks he's died and is unhappy about it = not fun.

edit: forgot to mention that i think most "LSD" on the market today is actually LSA. also anyone else want to chime in on peyote? worth it? where (do i have to go to peru or something)?

abhs,

Derf

indigal said:
I'm 37, have too many worries, and just plain feel wiped the next day. Mushrooms at a low or high dose I'd do easily (if I could get some again!!)
YES! I know how that goes, like I said, the weekends that I can do a trip would be few and far between.

jeffp said:
Do I recommend it? No. Read McKenna's "The Archaic Revival" for an explanation on why it is supposed to be scary. Read "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass to learn how it changes you, and a viable direction to where to proceed from the psychedelic experience.

By that I believe that you do obviously "land" after 12 hours but I don't believe you land in the exact same place that you took off from.
Thanks for that! I wish I had more time to read some more books, but I have a stack half way up to my knee already. I'll put these on the list to check out though. I had great mushroom trips, and my interpretation of your landing in a new location makes sense, and THAT is scary!

They really have no idea.
Amen to that!
jeffp said:
all of the revelations were more like rememberings rather than revelations. All of this I always knew all along and the psychedelics just revealed what was inside, obscured by thought, ego and desire.
Agree 100%. Philosphical: did thinking something during the trip influence you thinking the way you do now, or did the way you think influence your trip?

jeffp said:
ABV brownies seem a little trivial by comparison, does it not?
LOL

jeffp said:
They both take you to the same place; the beyond within.
I now miss the 60's and really want to read those boo

jeffp said:

F*ing amazing that this still makes sense to me, even though I've never done acid!

abhs said:
some of the greatest experiences of my life have been on it and it's been a driving impetus behind my spiritual beliefs.

lsd effects are permanent. people i know that trip frequently are much more mellow.

taking care of a 6'+ 200 lb guy who thinks he's died and is unhappy about it = not fun.
I would say this about my mushroom experiences, and it has shaped my spiritual beliefs immensely.

I want to learn more about ego death. I wonder if I had that? But my whole family and all my friends say I'm so mellow. All of them!

LOL

Derf,

steiner666

Serial vapist
steiner666,
Top Bottom