ABV. Worth your effort?

Do you use your ABV?

• Total voters

Enchantre

Oil Painter
ABV is pretty toasted. Should have very little moisture, if any at all, and seems to keep fine in a closed jar. I've read somewhere that ABV, left to the light and air, will just continue to metabolize THC to CBD/N, and thus becomes a better ingredient for those chasing pain relief and insomnia. So, theoretically, you could just throw it in a container on the counter and maybe shake it occasionally, until you use it.

The canna oil I make has never gone "bad" on me. Coconut oil is a natural preservative agent. Essential oils degrade, but keeping it in a dark, tight jar helps slow that down.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Just made some ABV tincture: Same method as the Green Dragon tinc but without the decarbing. 2 cc under the tongue with a spoonful of coconut oil relaxed me with a light heady effect. Nice! BUT, when vaped...BIG BANG for the buck!!! What I do is take a small swatch of 100% cotton and fold it in on itself in order to make it fit nicely into a Solo stem or Lotus bowl. Then drop-by-drop I saturate the little cotton swatch and let it evaporate under a small fan. Then, when dry, I repeat the saturation/evaporation process 1 or 2 more times. It gets very dark brown/green. Set the Solo at level 7 and get very nice fresh tasting herb flavor & cloudy hits...lots of them. No popcorn taste, no cooked plant cellulose! It's a bit different then the fresh decarbed herb tincture effect, but very potent and long lasting. Enjoy!!!

spoutti

Ususally you can tell something turned bad with your senses. If it smells the same, looks the same, and taste the same, its the same.

Me too i saved my abv but never done anything with it. 6 months now. So i put a checkmark in the "saved it but to lazy to have done anything with it."

@Snappo I see you ate and vaped your green dragon. What alcool did you use? Im guessing everclear/grain alcool, wich would mean vaping a bit of sugar? Quite interested because i feel motivated to finally do something with my abv and was going for green dragon.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
@Snappo I see you ate and vaped your green dragon. What alcool did you use? Im guessing everclear/grain alcool, wich would mean vaping a bit of sugar? Quite interested because i feel motivated to finally do something with my abv and was going for green dragon.
I didn't eat it, I dosed it under the tongue with an eye dropper - about 2 cc's. I also vape it...FANTASTIC + POTENT!!! I used Bacardi 151 proof and evaporate for concentration.

Just a thought... even though my fresh herb GD batch came out GREAT, I decarbed @325F for about 12 minutes (it started to smoke so I stopped...didn't want to lose too much in smoke). I also noticed that the aluminum foil was very sticky afterwards, so I figure that was a loss of good stuff also. I did see on the net several other temps that were being used successfully (e.g., 240F/30 minutes; 200F/40 minutes, etc...). I had planned on decarbing my next batch at 200F/20-40 minutes, watching carefully for smoke (I expect much less smoke than before) and a nice green/brown color, crunchy, not powdery between the fingers. Will adjust time accordingly. I will also cover the herb w/foil while decarbing so the vapor stays in the herb and doesn't escape. Here's an interesting piece on decarbing: http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/
Below is a pic of my ABV cotton for vaping in my Solo or Lotus - the taste is nutty/herbal with no popcorn taste - very nice and fresh flavor:
ngtt8y.jpg

basement farmer

My face is melting...
I save all ABV and my wife makes the most glorious butter/oil, which she uses to cook all kinds of goodies. Very little ABV taste, only a nutty flavor, really. I rather enjoy it.

I used olive oil. I also use the alcohol extracted stuff that I've recycled from my pieces and screens that I dumped in and allowed to fume off. Haven't quite got the dosage down yet, the flavor is interesting.

Plain old ABVs sautéed in oil make excellent fried eggs and single heaping teaspoon sends me on my way for about 6 hours. I actually prefer the effect of the ingested ABV's over the vaping as it's convenient and gives a much more consistent and lengthy buzz. I'd probably choke it down even if I didn't like the flavor just to experience it's effects.

So, yes it is worth it IMO.

I guess I could understand being repulsed by it if you've had a bad experience though. Kinda like my feelings towards tequila:puke: though millions love it's taste.

So what I'm seeing here is confirmation that even this stuff can go bad. Thank you. ;)

This would actually make a great thesis for somebody who wants to seriously and legitimately explore the pharmacology of weed.

The effects of heat and age to cannabis and the therapeutic efficacy of various factors.

If only I were younger and more ambitious....

You would think that the heating and drying process of raw material would result in a more stable product, but there is probably no scientific documentation to support this. I'd like to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Tasty firecrackers. 2.5 grams of ABV gets me blasted for about 6 hours. Made with the right ingredients, I can't even taste the ABV most of the time but when I do, it has kind of a nutty flavor.

So yeah, for me, it is definitely worth the effort. Why would I want to throw out a 6 hour high.
I'm with the Firecrackers too! So quick and simple.

I end vaping sessions somewhere between 210 to 235C, dependent on product quality and ambient room temperature, then dump to jar. Every Sunday evening its baking time. So I follow the below and have gotten good results.

- break enough graham crackers into their 1/4 sections, enough to make 20 firecrackers.
- wifey (bless her thc-free heart :cry:) puts Nutela on all sections while I get rest of ingredients ready.
- Grind ABV to dust in coffee grinder.
- liquify a bit of coconut oil

On Half of the sections:
- every other section gets 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ABV.
- then, on top of that, a few drops of coconut oil (not much as it will roll off, will be adding more later)
- after reaching the last section with ABV dust on it, the first have already soaked in.
- on the sections that have already absorbed the coconut oil, add more coconut oil (absorbs more quickly this time around).
- once all completed, wrap each section in Aluminum foil tightly, ensuring no leaks.
- then bake in preheated oven @ 250F for 23 minutes.
- after timer rings, out of the oven (and off of any hot plate), let sit till room temp is reached.
- then off to the fridge for storage till use.

With this, one firecracker gets me settled.... two or more and I'm set for a good long time!

There are SO MANY VARIABLES when dealing with Firecrackers, which is why so many report problems with them. Things like:
- Oven temperature (too high = you lose your product to the air. too low = thc won't infuse into the fat of Nutela or coconut oil). Temperature spikes in normal household ovens very common.
- Types of Fat (some do absorb better than others).
- Types of Product (of course if you start with a product very low in THC it will impact end result of Firecracker effort).
- your tollerance.

Hopefully this helps some who have struggled with these.

I bring these everywhere.... quick & easy & nobody sees anything except some guy munching a cookie... :nod:

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I did a ISO run with 20g of AVB once, got 0.04g of crap in return. Barely good enough to season a new nail.
It was interesting for the experiment.

Edibles are more worthy, infuse in some saturated fat, strain and enjoy.

When you store AVB, instead of a all in one fat jar, separate it in multiple small jars.

@Enchantre Hehe, when I handle the infused coconut, I always use the leftovers like a hand cream, it's super good for the skin and you can feel the effects too

When I have glass jars that are covered in resin, after removing the plant matter, I rub them with grain alcohol on my fingers, that I swipe on the back of my hands. I can feel it going though my skin. It's a kicking up-lift, witch helps getting through the cleaning routine :)

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Try this: Take 1.5 to 2 cc's of ABV tincture and drop it onto the center of a small plate-saucer. Place the saucer flat and level on a coffee pot heater until all of the alcohol is evaporated and all that's left is a dark film. Scrape the film off of the saucer with a razor blade. It is like putty. Remove from blade and flatten it out carefully between your fingers. Get 1/2 table spoon of good grade coconut oil and stir the putty-like ABV into the oil (mixes in best when heated and soft/melted). Place contents of spoon under the tongue for a minute or two and let the saliva build up. When ready, swallow. Should build to full effect over the next few to 20 minutes after that, depending on your body-system's readiness to absorb and assimilate. Works extremely well with flower GD also, but use less depending on GD potency - you don't want to overdo it on the first dose. It's best to work your way up incrementally to the desired effect. Report back with your results. Enjoy! BTW: You can vape this also, or put it on a nail...POWERFUL!!!

Snappo,
Reactions: DDave

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
I've made both ISO and butane extracted ABV oil now.
Yes, it's sort of nasty... kind of looks, feels (as in viscosity) and tastes like burnt motor oil... lol but man dabbing that stuff is a wonderful concentrated hit of CBDs.
I have a severe anxiety disorder and two or three dabs of ABV oil feels equal to 1mg of xanax... and I'd much rather medicate with CBD than benzos if I can. My benzo usage has dropped significantly since I started dabbing the ABV oil and using the CBD oil drops from Dixie Botanicals.

Honestly, it's quite revelatory to me... I hesitate to rave so much because I don't want to sound silly when I am trying to communicate that the discovery (for me I mean) of targeting CBDs for my main medication usage has been literally life changing over the past week.

I now need more ABV than me or my wife can produce... lol... I'm thinking of digging out of the old volcano and just running bowl after bowl in that without a bag... just spewing THC rich vapor into the house and leaving behind precious CBD rich ABV. Mmmmmmmm...

clouded vision

I now need more ABV than me or my wife can produce... lol... I'm thinking of digging out of the old volcano and just running bowl after bowl in that without a bag... just spewing THC rich vapor into the house and leaving behind precious CBD rich ABV. Mmmmmmmm...
Don't do that, give it to me instead I would gladly make lots of abv for you.

SuperVixen

I bite
I've made both ISO and butane extracted ABV oil now.
Yes, it's sort of nasty... kind of looks, feels (as in viscosity) and tastes like burnt motor oil... lol but man dabbing that stuff is a wonderful concentrated hit of CBDs.
I have a severe anxiety disorder and two or three dabs of ABV oil feels equal to 1mg of xanax... and I'd much rather medicate with CBD than benzos if I can. My benzo usage has dropped significantly since I started dabbing the ABV oil and using the CBD oil drops from Dixie Botanicals.

Honestly, it's quite revelatory to me... I hesitate to rave so much because I don't want to sound silly when I am trying to communicate that the discovery (for me I mean) of targeting CBDs for my main medication usage has been literally life changing over the past week.

It has been a revelation. Hopefully we'll just keep discovering more and more and better ways to do this.

I think it tastes fine. I like the taste but he always accuses me of not knowing much about this area until he drags me to it. Which is true :rolleyes:

I would happily just use ABV oil all the time. It has done wonders for my internal pain, as have the Dixie drop thingys.

Oh BTW.... Hi Baby :love:

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Oh BTW.... Hi Baby :love:

What up, shorty? :brow:

You know, I think it's pretty classy of me that I still love you even though now I have to log into FC every damn time I visit! :nod:

Okay, this should be the only time we address each other on this board. Let's not be one of those 'forum couples' who sit in the same room and yet talk to each other on the board... lol. I'll have to slap us.

Top Bottom