1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

ABV solventless ideas?

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by Breathemetal, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Breathemetal

Breathemetal Well-Known Member

I have a lot of abv to do god knows what with.

Dont really wanna mess with butane, or iso really. I prefer solventless extracts to begin with. Ya i know it is just abv but i love oil made from abv! Cbd goodnesssss.

So, options?

Id prefer to stay clear of turning it into edibles. Maybe a tincture that was edible would be okay, but id prefer a vapeable product

2. canj00digit?

canj00digit? All my days in a daze...

Yeah a solventless method sure would be nice.

At the moment I am making my ABV oil using 99.8% ISO and just doing a thorough heat purge.

Sure it tastes like crap, but like you said the CBD goodness in concentrated form like that is heaven for pain relief, treating anxiety etc or just to lock your ass down to the couch :D

Breathemetal likes this.
  3. Breathemetal

What about using high proof drinking alcohol? Would that be safer than iso?

darkrom likes this.
  4. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

Yes IMO it is very much so. You can drink a shot of everclear without needing to go to the hospital. Pretty sure if you drink a shot of iso you will be in a BAD place. My point is that both are good to extract, but ethanol sure seems a lot less critical when it comes to purging. Worst case you vaporize like 1/100000th of a shot of everclear in your hash.

5. Breathemetal

What proof is best?

6. dannkk

dannkk Well-Known Member

Don't use anything less than 190 proof. Needs to be pure alcohol.

7. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

This is correct. Anything else will evaporate and leave sugars behind that you shouldn't be vaping.

clouded vision and Breathemetal like this.
  8. clouded vision

clouded vision Well-Known Member

I have made abv and reclaim oil with everclear and it worked great, still tastes like shit but oh well.

Tweak and smokum like this.
  9. Enchantre

Enchantre A short, pithy statement

If you use EC to make ABV oil, do you have to do the whole freezer thing, like you do with nugs and QWISO?

Post a recipe, photos, or a video... please :)

10. Puffers

Puffers Micro-Climate Mastermind

Yes, same steps as qwiso but the soak time is a bit longer.

Enchantre and clouded vision like this.
  11. tuk

tuk Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried making Bubble or Blender hash from ABV?

These are water-based-trichome-extraction methods, which sound safer & maybe less hassle?

from reddit:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  12. Tweak

Tweak T\/\/34|<

I figure it would just be a mess with very limited return. Worth a shot though. I prefer using a mixer, gets the blender so dirty.

Has anyone had any success doing a CWE of ABV?

I've done one ISO run on ABV and didn't like how it looked. Thinking of doing a water cure + ethanol extraction.

Puffers likes this.
  13. Puffers

Puffers Micro-Climate Mastermind

I would hazard to guess that the return would be minimal at best, even with aggressive sifting methods that would yield a product fairly contaminated with plant matter. I say this because cold water and other sifting methods are just breaking off the trichome heads from the plant matter. The colder the extraction temp of the plant matter the more brittle these heads become and it's easier to separate these trichomes from the plant yielding a higher quality product. If you look at ABV under magnification most of the trichome heads have been melted off the stalk. I imagine that most of what little cannabinoid oils are left melt and absorb into the plant matter. Making mechanical extractions a poor choice for ABV. :2c:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    clouded vision and Tweak like this.
  14. tuk

tuk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys!

It would be interesting to see a like for like comparison of the different methods & the returns involved.

I'm a little wary of using chemicals as there is always going to be some residue contamination in the finished product. A little bit of plant matter I don't mind so much.

How about something like Dry Ice or Liquid Nitrogen?

Or HWE?
    I notice when simmering a nice stew that oils tend to pool on the surface which are then easy to remove.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors