ABV Banoffee (or just toffee) pie

blackstone

I sometimes try to think of a better way to use up ABV more often, rather than letting it build up or just blowing smelly cloud bags with large loads of it in a Volcano at 210c to finish it off. (I can't really stand the vapor taste above this temp and so just throw it away at that stage).

I've made Betty Crocker brownies with it, simple homemade biscuits and I've mixed it up with cookie dough for baking, all with various results.
A good way to prepare it is to grind well and run through a sieve to take out tiny hard branches and things.
You can play around with the recipe but as a guideline if you put 2 g of sieved ABV in each serving it will give a very noticeable, enjoyable, and stash saving effect!
I personally believe the less temperature the ABV has been subjected to or the less dark brown it is, then the more actives that will end up in the food. So I mostly only use ABV which has reached anything less than 210c or is light brown from convection vapes, and I toss the rest away.

The idea for putting it in Banoffee pie came from the ease of placing it in the biscuit base (a bonus is no need to bake and create excess smell),
the possibility to utilize the fats of butter and cream for the uptake of actives,
and to improve or mask most of the unwanted elements of ABV taste and texture.
Also there might be an extra bang from the bananas haha!

I used a recipe from Carnation who make both the condensed (evaporated) milk product in cans and also a pre made caramel sauce product,
the pre-made one is recommended because I had trouble with the stirring and proper sugar/amounts required to turn the milk one to caramel, or the other option is to simmer the sealed milk can for three hours to turn it to a caramel sauce.

https://www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/8/Classic-Banoffee-Pie-Recipe

I adjusted this recipe to make just two large servings from 4g of sieved ABV but you can do it any old way.
You just add your ABV dust to the crushed biscuits and butter and stir.
A good way to crush the biscuits one by one is to place them inside folded parchment and roll over gently with a glass bottle.
I made do without bananas this time round and it still tasted great but I'm interested to try them with this next time.
You can freeze the ABV biscuit base with just the caramel for up to three months and it thaws quite fast even in a fridge. But you better notify everyone, mark it up well or lock the freezer?!
This time I tried some of that cream in an aerosol can, it worked fine and was added fun!

I didn't have enough butter plus I stupidly added a dash of honey, so my base was falling apart but the texture was still good. Look forward to trying it again with the proper amounts but it will probably work any old way.

Hope you enjoy!

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Ok, this confused me quite a bit. I've been baking forever, and never heard of banofee pie, and I was puzzled about putting ABV into a biscuit. The metric measurements finally clued me in. I found a recipe with measurements I understand, and will try this the next time a decadant dessert is called for. Cookies will be made sooner. Thank you for posting, and helping reduce my cultural ignorance .

blackstone

Ok, this confused me quite a bit. I've been baking forever, and never heard of banofee pie, and I was puzzled about putting ABV into a biscuit. The metric measurements finally clued me in. I found a recipe with measurements I understand, and will try this the next time a decadant dessert is called for. Cookies will be made sooner. Thank you for posting, and helping reduce my cultural ignorance .

You might really like it if you manage to find the ingredients!
Not long after I posted this I thought how much confusion it might cause! All these people saying banna what? And the fact that you might not even get digestive "cookies" in some areas, and biscuits are something had with gravy in some places!

The dessert became popular in my area over ten years ago, I was always a fan.
I don't know if the same type digestive biscuits/cookies are available everywhere or what to substitute with, but after a quick google I see they can be bought online at a walmart site?

I also wanted to post two quick updates to this,
that I also made just a large chocolate covered digestive biscuit very easily and it was very pleasant.

Recipe:
2 Digestive biscuits, crushed,
2-4g sieved ABV,
1 tbsp Butter
1 bar milk or cooking chocolate.

Method:
Rub the biscuit crumbs, ABV and butter together in a bowl, then spread out on a sheet as 1 large cookie and refrigerate.
Melt the chocolate and spread on top of biscuit, refrigerate again.

Or another one I did with some Granola "healthy bar" things and no chocolate.

Recipe:
1 Granola bar, broken and crushed up
2-4g sieved ABV
1 tbsp Butter

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Spread on a sheet and if desired score some break lines with knife before refrigerating.

It will work with most cookies or biscuits even probably Oreos without the stuff? Or perhaps Twix without the topping. And the basic thinking is that your just splitting everything down to crumbs so you can basically place the ABV inside.
The butter is a means to solidify the matter upon refrigeration.
They use similar methods for cheescake with crumbly base.

All good ways to eat ABV! hope you'll enjoy it and thanks for your interest!

blackstone,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I think I'll be able to find the ingredients, and look forward to making this. I'll have to wait until I have guests to share it with, as I think it unwise to eat the entire thing. I'm always pleased to find new and exciting ways to use ABV, as it just seems to keep showing up. I really have to keep on top of it, or it and your creative ideas will help.

blackstone

Don't forget you can freeze the bottom parts for 3 months, then just thaw 1 slice and top with banana and cream but I completely understand it's a lot of work too and very sweet ingredients.
I am a little overweight and you might be more sensible haha!

Maybe one day they will come out with a really great way to use ABV.
I want to learn about tincture next and maybe try that, I hope it's not about alcohol so much as I'm not a big fan and it's incompatible with my medications now too.
Have fun in the kitchen, and on the couch after too!

blackstone,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Don't forget you can freeze the bottom parts for 3 months, then just thaw 1 slice and top with banana and cream but I completely understand it's a lot of work too and very sweet ingredients.
I am a little overweight and you might be more sensible haha!

Maybe one day they will come out with a really great way to use ABV.
I want to learn about tincture next and maybe try that, I hope it's not about alcohol so much as I'm not a big fan and it's incompatible with my medications now too.
Have fun in the kitchen, and on the couch after too!
Thank you for letting me know about freezing and thawing single slices . I will try that. All of the vaping led to serious munchies, and I've had to put a stop to that. Now dessert is only on Sunday for the foreseeable future. I've made tincture, but the alcohol is pretty pronounced. Elixers are a wonderful if you want to avoid alcohol. I make more than I use of both, but they keep.
What do you find to be the best way to wrap for freezing?

blackstone

Thank you for letting me know about freezing and thawing single slices . I will try that. All of the vaping led to serious munchies, and I've had to put a stop to that. Now dessert is only on Sunday for the foreseeable future. I've made tincture, but the alcohol is pretty pronounced. Elixers are a wonderful if you want to avoid alcohol. I make more than I use of both, but they keep.
What do you find to be the best way to wrap for freezing?

Thanks. I think I'll read up on these Elixers over the weekend!

If I was to freeze many slices I'd use a combo of parchment/baking paper, maybe cling film(ceran wrap), possibly inside a card or plastic box or container.
Anywhere parchment contacts the caramel, it should probably first be frozen before layering with the parchment.

Having said that, I think I've learned that the other simple recipes above and any alterations to them are working out great for quick easy ABV snacks too, while the pie might also nice made "regular" even to be shared with non 420 folk or younger relatives etc
Totally up to you they all work quite nice if you get it near right!

And I would love to try one of these recipes with good meds too, as I've only done a little ABV cooking so far.

blackstone,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Thanks. I think I'll read up on these Elixers over the weekend!

If I was to freeze many slices I'd use a combo of parchment/baking paper, maybe cling film(ceran wrap), possibly inside a card or plastic box or container.
Anywhere parchment contacts the caramel, it should probably first be frozen before layering with the parchment.

Having said that, I think I've learned that the other simple recipes above and any alterations to them are working out great for quick easy ABV snacks too, while the pie might also nice made "regular" even to be shared with non 420 folk or younger relatives etc
Totally up to you they all work quite nice if you get it near right!

And I would love to try one of these recipes with good meds too, as I've only done a little ABV cooking so far.
I'm always impressed when someone uses good meds in baking or cooking. I've only used trim (sugar leaf and stems) and ABV so far. This might be a sign I need to grow more. I don't yet know how many pounds a year the household needs, and I didn't consider growing for baking. Now I'm wondering if there are certain strains better for baking and cooking than others, or if it matters. I'm thinking anything skunky or tasting of diesel might not work as well as something tasting of fruit or cookies (Girl Scout Cookies In cookies?) Maybe if it's water cured it won't matter. So far trim and ABV are keeping me busy, and sprinkling ABV on foods has worked well, but it's not as exciting as a nice baked dessert.
I haven't been a big consumer of medibles , but mostly due to sticker shock at the dispensary.
Thank you so much for your wrapping suggestions. I've no doubt I'm going to benefit greatly from your experience.

blackstone

So far trim and ABV are keeping me busy, and sprinkling ABV on foods has worked well, but it's not as exciting as a nice baked dessert.
I haven't been a big consumer of medibles , but mostly due to sticker shock at the dispensary.
Thank you so much for your wrapping suggestions. I've no doubt I'm going to benefit greatly from your experience.

Sorry didn't see that reply till now!
You're probably right that some strains ABV would taste better but it's hard to say which ones as sometimes ABV and also reclaim are a bit different to the material they came from, with unrelated smells etc. So you could use some experiments :science: or advice.

I made two of the simple digestive and butter cookies from 3g ABV last time when I was writing here and ate them too late, just before I went to sleep. Great sleep, but also really felt it next day, and maybe I still can?!
So it really is as easy as placing it in, or on the food!:tup:

blackstone,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Sorry didn't see that reply till now!
You're probably right that some strains ABV would taste better but it's hard to say which ones as sometimes ABV and also reclaim are a bit different to the material they came from, with unrelated smells etc. So you could use some experiments :science: or advice.

I made two of the simple digestive and butter cookies from 3g ABV last time when I was writing here and ate them too late, just before I went to sleep. Great sleep, but also really felt it next day, and maybe I still can?!
So it really is as easy as placing it in, or on the food!:tup:
I don't know if I ever will be the type of Fine and Decent Person that saves my ABV by strain. Sadly, I seem to be the type that just puts it in a jar all mixed up. It would be easier if I stuck to a strain, then switched and stuck to another. Instead, I usually pick two types and more or less alternate. The next day, I pick two more types. I could just see a row of little jars, all neatly labeled with the ABV strain type. That would be ideal.
I tend to vape at low temperatures, leaving plenty in my ABV, so I do use it. Yesterday, I sprinkled some ground ABV on my avocado toast for a very green breakfast. You'd think I'd know to use it at night, as I was tired all day, as well as high. Did I then use more last night, When I Couldn't Sleep? Nope. So that's backwards, but I get contrary.
Dessert is more complicated. I bake. Have baked for years. I'm the only one in the house that would use medibles, but not the only one that eats dessert. This means making one with and one without, and now there are two desserts to get through. Eating the medicated goodies inspires me to eat the unmedicated, and waste not want not, leads to not wanting the waist I've got.

Top Bottom