About lab testing

3dfx-glide

Boats & Harbors
I just bought some CBD flower from a site per a trusted YT's recommendation. The website publishes lab tests they've had done on each variety they sell including heavy metals in it, percent CBD, etc.

I'm sure it's going to be great quality when it gets here, but
Do these mean anything? Couldn't you grow or get from somewhere one good flower to have tested, and post these results, and then grow pesticide-laden (can you tell I don't know what I'm talking about?) meh quality stuff, no? Posting one lab test doesn't hold them accountable to anything other than prove one flower they sent in may have been good (bribes), no?

3dfx-glide,
Reactions: Summer
I just bought some CBD flower from a site per a trusted YT's recommendation. The website publishes lab tests they've had done on each variety they sell including heavy metals in it, percent CBD, etc.

Do these mean anything? Couldn't you grow or get from somewhere one good flower to have tested, and post these results, and then grow pesticide-laden (can you tell I don't know what I'm talking about?) meh quality stuff, no? Posting one lab test doesn't hold them accountable to anything other than prove one flower they sent in may have been good (bribes), no?
I think that in Calif flower product is tested in 1lb batches. I think the whole pound goes to the lab and they pick a representative bud to test. The growers don't get to pick what is tested. Where are you located?

archangelz001,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I'm hesitant for any online CBD, as so much of what is available online is extracted from hemp and NOT cannabis. double check your source to be certain

You can do fairly accurate home tests for CBD (and THC) with common household chemicals.

Google "Beam Test for CBD". The test for THC is called the Duquenois test.

For the CBD tests all that's needed is some potassium hydroxide and some denatured alcohol. A small bottle of each will last you forever.

I use the small 5ml centrifugal test tubes. About 3 or 4 cents each and toss them after each test.

I did some thin layer chromatography which is real easy once you learn the curve. But, chloroform can be way more dangerous that KOH and alcohol. And, the Beam test can be pretty darn accurate for what it is.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

I'm hesitant for any online CBD, as so much of what is available online is extracted from hemp and NOT cannabis. double check your source to be certain
Semantics are often confusing for CBD products.
CBD oil is extracted from hemp or cannabis
Hemp oil (AKA hemp seed oil) is extracted from hemp seeds/stalks etc and contains almost no CBD.

My brother-in-law just showed me some online "CBD oil" he purchased but it is hemp seed oil with almost no CBD.
He was bragging about the great low price.....not

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

Yes your concerns are valid. A lot of these “companies” share/sell clean lab results, ive seen companies get lab results for different products and attach them to their untested or failed products (that was a distillate company though)

other companies will test 1 batch and use those results for everything they make for months to a year. I scanned the code on one of my cbd products i just purchased and recieved direct and the lab results were from July 2018 and i know for a fact ive had different batches since then

If the company had good reviews and a decent reputation you shouldnt have to worry though

Mynameismud,
Reactions: Summer
Top Bottom