A Sativa Guy with Insomnia. Indica Questions.

nihil

Member, Known Well
So, I have suffered my whole life with insomnia. My issue is initially falling asleep, once I'm accomplished that I'm a deep sleeper. Unfortunately, for the past 15 years I've depended on alcohol to get me to sleep and I'm trying to break away from that.. hence this post.

I love sativas for my after work evenings. Typically I'll vape around 5 or 6pm, with maybe three or four sessions an evening. I'm the creative type and a sativa motivates this.. all is well. Until I try to go to bed. If I've had less than 5 beers it ain't happening and then I'm foggy at work the next day. I work a stressful and fulfilling job that I love, but if I'm foggy I let the team down.

If I vape indicas instead, I have no problem falling asleep, but the entire evening is lost with me just sitting on the couch all night trying to decide on a show to watch. No creative outlets, I'm too couch locked to do anything. Not what I want long term.

A few weeks ago I decided to vape an indica around 8pm, as I normally try to get to bed between 9:30 and 10pm. Sometimes this works, other times my brain is still racing.

What am I doing wrong? Is it not possible to mix and match? Should I be looking at hybrids? Should I vape the indica earlier?

Any and all input appreciated. I'm sure others out there deal with this exact issue and have found a reasonable solution. Please educate me.

nihil

Member, Known Well
I live in a recreational state and have asked with mixed results. So far Blue Cheese, Mango, Platinum Kush & Hush Berry tend to work, with the Blue Cheese the only one giving mostly consistent results.

OG Kush is one I haven't tried but it has been recommended, same with another called Blueberry. I'll probably pick up both in the next few days/weeks.

turk

turk
...bad dispensary...try another because this is a standard question...og kush will def. help...but you may need to experiment with doses...don't worry...you will figure it out...with experimentation...I have many friends who weren't "stoners" who suffered from same affliction...and they ALL got relief...just had to play around a bit...let me know what you think of the og kush...me...I'm really a indica/hybrid prefer guy....although I always keep sativa around....

waxdab23

I live in a recreational state and have asked with mixed results. So far Blue Cheese, Mango, Platinum Kush & Hush Berry tend to work, with the Blue Cheese the only one giving mostly consistent results.

OG Kush is one I haven't tried but it has been recommended, same with another called Blueberry. I'll probably pick up both in the next few days/weeks.

Ya, I was just going to say OG. There are many, many varieties of OG Kush but they all seem to be great for Insomnia!

I'm with you on the initial mind racing - if I vape even the strongest couch lock Indica, I'm not going to fall asleep instantly. The high needs to come down from its peak and then I'll start to get sleepy.

Try picking up a strong OG. I currently have a Yoda OG and a Whitewalker OG - both are great for sleep. Have your normal Sativa sessions after work. Then, about an hour before you want to sleep, get everything ready for bed and then have a fat OG session. Try to do something that's not too thought provoking after this session, like watching tv, etc. and wind down.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I want to suggest edibles that are made with Indica oil. You may need to try to make them yourself if they are too expensive. If you don't want the added calories use the cannabis oil capsules you can make them or possibly buy them if they are available where you live.

It's important to get the dosing down. There's a lot of info regarding making edibles in the cooking section here on FC.

I also save concentrates for just a few times per week before bed. That helps me get to sleep when I have a pain flair up.

I go with strains like Grape Ape, God's Gift, Grand Daddy Purple and Hindu Kush for night time.

Last edited:

Squiby

I'm retired so I don't go to work at a conventional job everyday, but I do have a rural average where I need to stay productive and focused to keep the animals and gardens in shape.

I rely on a strong sativa micro dose every couple of hours till around 4 in the afternoon. Then I switch to a light hybrid that will not couch lock me but is relaxing while keeping me functional. Around 9, I reach for the indicas.

I have learned through trial and error which stains work for me.

Some of my daytime strains are Green Crack, Super Jack, Durban Poison, Sour Diesel.

Some light evening hybrids I enjoy are Strawberry Blonde, Cinderella, Blue Dream, Blue Champagne.

My night time indicates are Pink Kush, Opal Og, God Bud. If I am not sleeping I go for my Afghan Hash. It gets me to sleep in no time.

I think you have to experiment with different strains. Maybe go for a lighter sativa after work then switch to a heavy indica before bedtime.

Last edited:

nihil

Member, Known Well
...bad dispensary...try another because this is a standard question...og kush will def. help...but you may need to experiment with doses...don't worry...you will figure it out...with experimentation...I have many friends who weren't "stoners" who suffered from same affliction...and they ALL got relief...just had to play around a bit...let me know what you think of the og kush...me...I'm really a indica/hybrid prefer guy....although I always keep sativa around....

Thank you. Will be looking for some OG Kush immediately.

Ya, I was just going to say OG. There are many, many varieties of OG Kush but they all seem to be great for Insomnia!

I'm with you on the initial mind racing - if I vape even the strongest couch lock Indica, I'm not going to fall asleep instantly. The high needs to come down from its peak and then I'll start to get sleepy.

Try picking up a strong OG. I currently have a Yoda OG and a Whitewalker OG - both are great for sleep. Have your normal Sativa sessions after work. Then, about an hour before you want to sleep, get everything ready for bed and then have a fat OG session. Try to do something that's not too thought provoking after this session, like watching tv, etc. and wind down.

Damn, Yodo was really cheap a month back and I passed on it. I think you may have nailed something, letting the effects sink in. I would do a session of indica at 8pm and then another before bed at 9:30pm. That may be were I am screwing up. Will try not doing the second session tonight.

I want to suggest edibles that are made with Indica oil. You may need to try to make them yourself if they are too expensive. If you don't want the added calories use the cannabis oil capsules you can make them or possibly buy them if they are available where you live.

It's important to get the dosing down. There's a lot of info regarding making edibles in the cooking section here on FC.

I also save concentrates for just a few times per week before bed. That helps me get to sleep when I have a pain flair up.

I go with strains like Grape Ape, God's Gift, Grand Daddy Purple and Hindu Kush for night time.

Thanks for the strain recommendations. I do have access to edibles and I make my own infused coconut oil from my ABV. The problem is I tend to overdo things and have had some bad trips on the edibles. I'll look into micro-dosing.

I'm one state south of you, our selection is amazing.

I'm retired so I don't go to work at a conventional job everyday, but I do have a rural average where I need to stay productive and focused to keep the animals and gardens in shape.

I rely on a strong sativa micro dose every couple of hours till around 4 in the afternoon. Then I switch to a light hybrid that will not couch lock me but is relaxing while keeping me functional. Around 9, I reach for the indicas.

I have learned through trial and error which stains work for me.

Some of my daytime strains are Green Crack, Super Jack, Durban Poison, Sour Diesel.

Some light evening hybrids I enjoy are Strawberry Blonde, Cinderella, Blue Dream, Blue Champagne.

My night time indicates are Pink Kush, Opal Og, God Bud. If I am not sleeping I go for my Afghan Hash. It gets me to sleep in no time.

I think you have to experiment with different strains. Maybe go for a lighter sativa after work then switch to a heavy indica before bedtime.

I like your approach and will consider it. Looks like we have similar tastes in sativas and hybrids. I'd just add ATF, Jack Herer and Super Silver Haze to your daytime and Blue Magoo, Dogwalker and Gorilla Glue to your hybrids.

...lots of great information here..I do "salads" where I cross strains to get "where I like"...it's fun...folks here will not let you suffer in silence...cheers.

Cheers. Salads are fun, but again, it looks like I need more indicas to add to the mix.

Farid

I've always been an indica guy until recently, when I realized the benefits of some Sativa dominant hybrids. Pure Sativas are rare around here. A few batches of bud I've had stand out to me as particularly sedating. The "Afghan Landrace" I got put me to sleep. It was so strong I couldn't hit it during the day without nodding off. Right now I've got some Captains Cake which is a nice balance. It's very strong, without the sedating effects overpowering the other effects. Definitely feels more like a hybrid than an indica dominant, although the sedation is still there.

nihil

Member, Known Well
Love the history of the landrace strains and try to pick them up when I can find them. I have some Mazar I Sharif from a while back.. but it doesn't put me to sleep. The Afghani you're describing sounds like what I'm looking for.

Also, turns out the dispensary by my office has Grape Ape. I'm going to try to pick up some of that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help all. Keep the recommendations coming.

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
On the more sedative side of things, I would look for GrandDaddy Purple (Ken's GDP if possible), Purple Kush, Afgoo, Romulan, Master Kush, Bubba Kush, LAxOGxAfghan Kush.

Not sure if you are into Kif, but there was a dispensary back in SF circa 2005 that I visited frequently and they had "recipes" around the place to look at while waiting in line. One of the things that I try to keep around when I have a steady supply of kif is a jar for sleep. They called it Kif Bomb, and it is basically a mix of as many varieties of Kif as possible and something to help with insomnia/sleep.

Another thing to consider would be a high CBD strain to mix in with your salad, if you have anything that is a high CBD, then it could take some of that edge off the THC making your mind wind. Everyone reacts differently to different cannabinoids, so maybe even just a high CBD strain with minimal THC could be a solution minus the salad. Or maybe the salad of kif bomb, high CBD, and your preferred couch locker.

As @CarolKing mentioned, would be the edible route. I prefer making my own CoCo capsules, buy empty gelatin capsules, fill them myself using a baby syringe, refrigerate them. Once you figure out the strength, you can pick your dosage accordingly. ∆11THC may also help alleviate the alcohol craving your body has become familiar with as I have found from my own experience that I can drink a beer or two once that ∆11 kicks in, but in no way would I feel like drinking beyond that. Almost like my body says no for me.

It takes about an hour for the increased blood pressure to subside after smoking/vaping, keep that in mind when considering timing your last session for the evening. Sitting/laying also increase blood pressure vs. being upright.

nihil

Member, Known Well
On the more sedative side of things, I would look for GrandDaddy Purple (Ken's GDP if possible), Purple Kush, Afgoo, Romulan, Master Kush, Bubba Kush, LAxOGxAfghan Kush.

Not sure if you are into Kif, but there was a dispensary back in SF circa 2005 that I visited frequently and they had "recipes" around the place to look at while waiting in line. One of the things that I try to keep around when I have a steady supply of kif is a jar for sleep. They called it Kif Bomb, and it is basically a mix of as many varieties of Kif as possible and something to help with insomnia/sleep.

Another thing to consider would be a high CBD strain to mix in with your salad, if you have anything that is a high CBD, then it could take some of that edge off the THC making your mind wind. Everyone reacts differently to different cannabinoids, so maybe even just a high CBD strain with minimal THC could be a solution minus the salad. Or maybe the salad of kif bomb, high CBD, and your preferred couch locker.

As @CarolKing mentioned, would be the edible route. I prefer making my own CoCo capsules, buy empty gelatin capsules, fill them myself using a baby syringe, refrigerate them. Once you figure out the strength, you can pick your dosage accordingly. ∆11THC may also help alleviate the alcohol craving your body has become familiar with as I have found from my own experience that I can drink a beer or two once that ∆11 kicks in, but in no way would I feel like drinking beyond that. Almost like my body says no for me.

It takes about an hour for the increased blood pressure to subside after smoking/vaping, keep that in mind when considering timing your last session for the evening. Sitting/laying also increase blood pressure vs. being upright.

Very grateful for your post, thank you.

I have what we call "dry sift." I think it is similar to kief but is green, not that dirty clear that I've seen in the past. Just realized I haven't vaped any in about a year, so I will be looking into adding that to the mix.

Very interested on your remark about Delta 11 THC with regards to alcohol cravings. I bought a huge bag of veggie gel caps with the intention of filling them with ABV before I learned how to infuse the coconut oil and they've been sitting in the cupboard.. you just gave me a little project for the weekend, coconut gel caps.

And thanks to the blood pressure remark, I'm going to test this by taking my blood pressure. My ex was a Nurse, and we would screw around and take my blood pressure after smoking a bowl (this was before I vaped). We both thought it strange that it went up, not down, but didn't think much of it. Now I know.

Also all, thanks for the strain recommendations. I've been meaning to try Northern Lights and my local home store has it. I'll try to pick some up soon. Also going to be looking for the Purples and Kushes.

I went to the office store to get Grape Ape today and they talked me into Black Diamond instead, after I explained what I was looking for. They said it is a local favorite and helped quite a few customers with insomnia issues. Very top shelf looking stuff, I just ran it under a 40x, then 80x dissecting scope and it has a coating of beautiful clear trichomes.

EDIT: @subway13029 Man, I wish you could get it legalized there for recreational use. Its been 10 months here and I am still giggling like a school girl every time I make a purchase. I'm sitting on 50+ strains and am no where near my state's legal limit. I may even start growing some plants indoors, all perfectly legal. Fight for it.. it will come.

Last edited:

nihil

Member, Known Well
I hear you. I was a midwesterner back in the early 90's and all we could get was brickweed, with the occasional kind bud showing up in small quantities once or twice a year.

Moved to the PNW in 95 and was like "fuck yeah!" Still didn't know the strains, but didn't care.

Then medical was legalized here and for some odd reason, the black market got even better. :brow:

Now that recreational is legal.. FUCK! I became a cannabis snob within a week. Especially now that I vape, a little goes a very long way. If I find a strain that I don't like, I will always find a friend that likes it and we trade, all legally.. I've been gifting an ounce of Master Kush that I didn't care for for over a year now, one bud at a time.

Everyone on the planet needs to experience this; it's a choice, just like alcohol.

subway13029

I want some master kush..i feel as though my guy has told me a different name of every strain i buy from him and im like no way in hell are thesee the actual strains..i see all the pics of green buds with trichomes glistening. And i seem to get brown crap..no seeds or anything but always seems old to me..prolly is..lol

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I want some master kush..i feel as though my guy has told me a different name of every strain i buy from him and im like no way in hell are thesee the actual strains..i see all the pics of green buds with trichomes glistening. And i seem to get brown crap..no seeds or anything but always seems old to me..prolly is..lol
There's a good chance your guy is making up strain names, or maybe his guy is the one making up the names.

Also keep in mind genetics aren't everything. I could take some Master Kush seeds, do a shitty job growing them, and end up with brown crap that is technically speaking "Master Kush".

HomeFree

Sativas knock me out too. Seems like if I get enough THC in me I will fall asleep (last thing I remember is being wide awake). Also you could put your stash away for a year or so until some THC turns into CBN, or vape reclaim, ask if the club, etc. I can knock myself out with thai, haze, african stuff, etc. Also, after using an edible dose that is barely noticeable on it's own, it doesn't take much vaped cannabis to knock me out either. I prefer the effect from edibles myself but it is far too variable, so usually I will dose fairly low and get to where I want to get with some small loads of herb in the vape.

Good luck getting out of the bottle. You will find yourself in much better health once you do. I would suggest a taper the alcohol over at least a few weeks if you have been doing this for years and use cannabis only before bed until you fall asleep. Just keep vaping until you fall asleep. If you only vape once during a day your tolerance will be lower. Alcohol can also affect sleep patterns. There is also some stuff called kava you may want to look into. The effect is very much like alcohol. Make sure you are getting noble kava though.

Brownish flowers can be lower quality outdoors and/or old buds. I don't discount brownish colored cannabis unless it is dry/crispy or has very little smell left. I have gotten some great cannabis that was a bit brownish and my stash turns brownish after a good while when jarred up. It's often a brighter green when fresh. I found a little stash of some 2 year old cherry pie and it was fantastic, but brown.

If I get bright green weed I jar it up after sampling once and let it cure for a month or so. To me it tastes a better when it is allowed to cure for a while and not a neon green color. Some strains turn brownish/golden more easily than others. Also if I keep strains around long enough (4-6 mos plus), it seems like I can visibly see the heads going golden, unless it is just reflecting the buds themselves.

Hope that helps.

I too suffer(ed) from insomnia. I took some kind of medication off and on, along with shots of scotch, for years, to get to sleep. Now it's only cannabis. The only addition to the info and recommendations here is the one piece of data that I wish someone had told me earlier in my cannabis life - don't expect to go to sleep immediately after vaping. Let the psychoactive effect come on (and THC will do that no matter if it's from a sativa or an indica) and in 45-60 minutes you should be adequately relaxed to let yourself fall asleep. The other technique is to wean yourself off alcohol bit by bit. Don't try to do it all at once.

nihil

Member, Known Well
Thanks guys on the alcohol tips. Going to try to start weening myself off of it, but I'm not looking forward to it. I also spent an hour or so researching Kava, going to read more on it.

Seems like a lot of you are suggesting that I vape at least an hour before my normal bedtime, and that's it. I fucked around with that notion Thursday and Friday, vaping an indica 1 to 1.5 hours before sleeping. 100%/2 tests, so I think that is were I was screwing up, but time will tell.

As an additional test, I'm going to start vaping some potent indica right about now (7:15pm pst) and see how long I can stay up. If I can keep awake until 10pm on a weekend, then I think I will start earlier on the weeknights.

Wish me luck, worse case scenario I call it an early night on one of the nights I can stay up late. :cheers:

Top Bottom