99% iso why doesnt everyone use it?

weedemon

enthusiast
99% iso why doesnt everyone use it? (merged)

how come you guys don't have 99%? i see 70 and 99% options around here but nothing else really.

i see you guys talking about 70 and 91% solutions.

has any one seen pure 100%? is it not cheaply possible and that's why we get 99?

weedemon,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
weedemon said:
how come you guys don't have 99%? i see 70 and 99% options around here but nothing else really.

i see you guys talking about 70 and 91% solutions.

has any one seen pure 100%? is it not cheaply possible and that's why we get 99?

Only ever seen 70 and 91 around here. Might be a Canada thing?

JDSupreme,

stoney

Alex
I've never seen 99% iso. Then again, I've never seen milk in a bag. So I'm guessing it's a Canadian thing.

stoney,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I know of some large batch makers that use denatured alcohol and swear by it.

I think this is the closest most of us can get to a 100%

AGBeer,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
weedemon said:

I use 100% ISO but you can't get it from a drugstore or I suspect more people would use it.

Tom

tdavie,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I can get 91% very cheap at pharmacies but the 99% is sold as "electronics cleaner" and is much more expensive...harder to find here. 91% works fine but I prefer Everclear for most uses...gotta make tincture ROFL!

Lo,

Nycdeisel

I never see 99% pure ISO, but its very possible that Im just not looking hard enough :cool:

91% works very well for my purposes.

Nycdeisel,

djonkoman

100 is almost impossible, each time you destill it it gets a little more pure, but how higher the % already is the less it goes up when distilling again

djonkoman,

weedemon

enthusiast
where do you buy the 100% tdavie??

i am shamed to say it but i buy it at walmart. it's 3 or 4 bucks for a bottle that is 500ml of 99%

are my fellow American brothers and sisters getting hosed on the iso propyl?

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

Hmm :hmm: ?
I get a bottle that is close to 500ml of 91% for 2 bucks on average.

Nycdeisel,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Nycdeisel said:
I never see 99% pure ISO, but its very possible that Im just not looking hard enough :cool:

91% works very well for my purposes.
same, i use 91% purely for convenience. costs around 2 or 3 bucks, last time it was buy one get one free

stroh,

nr-cole

I pay around $7 for a 750ml bottle of 98% at Shopper's Drug Mart. I use maybe one a month if we're being studious about keeping things clean, but most of that is used in the Extreme at a house with six people living in it so we take turns buying.

nr-cole,

stoney

Alex
Is there really much, if any reason to use 99% over 91%? I feel like 99% would be incredibly irritating to skin, and might damage certain materials. I guess it would evaporate faster, and I can see the appeal for qwiso, but for cleaning, does it make any difference?

stoney,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
weedemon said:
where do you buy the 100% tdavie??

i am shamed to say it but i buy it at walmart. it's 3 or 4 bucks for a bottle that is 500ml of 99%

are my fellow American brothers and sisters getting hosed on the iso propyl?

It comes from Fisher Scientific. On a system or research contract it would probably cost $250/4L cell culture grade. The 'crappy' 100% would probably cost ~40-50$ again on a contract. Purchase is not prohibited or restricted in any way (at least in Canada).

Fisher also exists as a company in the States so you might be able to buy it there. Assume though, that any purchases will be traced (Fisher is not a small company, and they are required to submit many customer purchases to the government, again at least in Canada).

Tom

tdavie,
Top Bottom