80 + dead in Noway...

lwien

Death toll now 92, most of them kids at a camp.

Norway? What the hell........

lwien,

lwien

They caught the guy that did this and he's been identified as a right winged extremist.......possibly a neo-Nazi group.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
possibly a neo-Nazi group.
And possibly a religious nut.

"Police say they are investigating whether the attacks were the work of one man or whether others helped.

"At Utoeya, the water is still being searched for more victims," deputy police chief Roger Andresen told reporters.

"We have no more information than... what has been found on [his] own websites, which is that it goes towards the right and that it is, so to speak, Christian fundamentalist."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14262956

Religious fanaticism knows no boundaries.

max,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I have also heard that this may be politically motivated since the Labor Party did run and/or own that camp that was attacked. This is just really sad and my thoughts are will the people of Norway.

Extremism in any context is dangerous.

aesthyrian,

stroh

errl enthusiast
the saddest part is how many disregard this REAL tragedy in lieu of amy crackhead's death

stroh,

Rico420

From what I've read he was pissed off at immigrants coming into his country. Probably Islamic immigrants from the sound of it, sad to see extremists on both sides turning the masses against each other. No better than the powers that be warring against each other. Ignorance and hatred knows no bounds, the more it grows the more love that is required to quell it.

It takes a totally fucked up person to do something like this, i wonder if a tragedy could of been averted if he had more love in his life. People need to have sympathy and unconditional love for those among us that are led astray, hatred and ignorance only fuels their fires.

Rico420,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I'm crying quite a bit today, with this and Amy Winehouse.

I like how this Facebook page they say this:

We light a candle for the victims of the bombing and shootings in Oslo Norway today. Over 92 youth were killed in a holiday camp. In the Capitol, seven are dead so far.

On a day like this it is again important to remember that actions like this are not performed by race or skin color, by states or continents, but of individuals and groups that have lost focus on the importance of the World: Unity, caring, understanding, empathy and love .. spread this on! And take care of your beloved family and frends ?

VWFringe,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
stroh said:
the saddest part is how many disregard this REAL tragedy in lieu of amy crackhead's death

Massively agree. The outpouring of sympathy for this poor excuse for a singer in place of news about this tragic massacre as well as the ongoing famine in East Africa is outrageous. People actually going as far as inducting her into the 27 club - blasphemous IMO.

Having said that, Sickipedia is having quite a lot of fun with them both as usual. Many people think it goes too far but I'm certainly of the opinion that humour genuinely helps in situations like this that are simply incomprehensible.

wilf789,

stroh

errl enthusiast
if amy winehouse is inducted into the 27 club i am going to be even angrier. what the fuck has she done for music? how can you even compare her to someone like janis joplin, hendrix, the lizard king or brian jones?

stroh,

lwien

How fucking ironic. When this story first hit the news, the immediate blame went to Middle Eastern Muslim extremists but as it turned out, that this guy was a right wing Christian ANTI-Muslim extremist taking out his anger on Norwegian kids as if that made any more sense than the other stupid ass shit that's in these extremists actions.

Just goes to prove that those that reside on the extreme ends of the spectrum, be it at the extreme ends of ANY religion (Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc.) or political party (right winged, left winged, progressives, conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, etc) needs to be watched VERY, VERY carefully and those ideologue politicians and news pundits (Beck, Hannity, Bachman, Palin, Maher, Ann Coulter, Oberman, etc) need to have their heads examined when they stoke the fires of these idiots.

But hey, shit like this has been happening since the beginning of time in EVERY country in the world. So sad............but nothing new.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
Just goes to prove that those that reside on the extreme ends of the spectrum, be it at the extreme ends of ANY religion (Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc.) or political party (right winged, left winged, progressives, conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, etc) needs to be watched VERY, VERY carefully and those ideologue politicians and news pundits (Beck, Hannity, Bachman, Palin, Maher, Ann Coulter, Oberman, etc) need to have their heads examined when they stoke the fires of these idiots.
Don't forget Herman Cain, the Republican who wants to be President and wouldn't appoint a Muslim for a position unless they signed a loyalty oath, while admitting that other religions would be exempt. Seems like a guy smart enough to run the country should know that terrorists aren't true Muslims any more than the wacko in Norway is a true Christian.

max,

lwien

max said:
Don't forget Herman Cain, the Republican who wants to be President and wouldn't appoint a Muslim for a position unless they signed a loyalty oath, while admitting that other religions would be exempt. Seems like a guy smart enough to run the country should know that terrorists aren't true Muslims any more than the wacko in Norway is a true Christian.

Well said, Max. And if there is just a microscopic sliver of silver lining in this tragedy in Norway, it's that maybe, just maybe, this situation will get others to give pause and give some thought to what you just stated above. At least it might open up a bit of dialoge. Maybe....................

lwien,

lwien

stroh said:
if amy winehouse is inducted into the 27 club i am going to be even angrier. what the fuck has she done for music? how can you even compare her to someone like janis joplin, hendrix, the lizard king or brian jones?

You're right. She's not even in the same league, but...........she did have an impact in music for her specific genre and kinda paved the way for artists like Adele and Florence and the Machine, etc, etc. But yeah, she can't be included in that group above. Not too much into Brian Jones, but Janis, Jimi and Morrison...........(wow............some really good memories just flashed before my eyes. :) )

lwien,

momatik

The 32 year-old boasted that he was just one of up to 80 solo martyr cells recruited throughout Western Europe who were ready to follow his example of trying to overthrow governments tolerant of Islam.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-to-Norway-killer-Anders-Behring-Breivik.html

I wonder if he actually said "martyr."

This man was regularly found on document.no, atlas shrugs, and jihad watch forums. All 3 have a ton of anti-Islamic news reports and conspiracy theories updated regularly. Atlas Shrugs is ran by Pam Gellar, the same bat shit insane woman who started the Ground Zero Mosque controversy (and also thinks that Obama is Malcolm X's illegitimate child). Robert Spencer runs JihadWatch, and is a NY Times best selling author, publishing his bullshit blatant lies that have been proven false time and time again by real scholarship.

Looking at Anders comments, it's clear he wasn't "insane," something we tend to assume after such carnage. His comments left at document.no. He rationalized his hatred with all the garbage posted and discussed in these forums. Meeting with others who see the same war he does whereas everyone else is far too naive.

The people who fight this fight have so much more in common then they realize. They are the strict hard line ideologues, two sides of the same coin but just too fucking stupid to realize it.

momatik,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Well, I guess he could say 'mission accomplished' because I, along with thousands of others no doubt, have just watched his video and read (well, scanned through- it's 1500 pages) his '2083 A declaration of European Independence Manifesto.' Scary stuff. I couldn't resist a read as it's a bit like looking at 'exhibit A' and provides the context and motive. However, I had a profound feeling of playing into his hands whilst reading it- no book launch could have achieved such exposure. But it's a really wide ranging work of radicalism touching on an amazingly diverse range of topics. I don't know how accurate much of it is, but it's clear the man had a dangerous intelligence, was quite capeable, and, like Momatik says, isn't just a lunatic. He has studied his subject in depth.

Also, relevant to Momatiks quote above, He writes how important it is to mislead police and 'system protectors' (authorities) that it's a larger active terrorist operation and more people/cells involved than there really are.... which could be the case in that quote, perhaps.

Edit; Holy cow
BBC News said:
Under Norwegian law, Mr Breivik faces a maximum of 21 years in jail if convicted, although that sentence can be extended if a prisoner is deemed a threat to the public.
21 years?!? Do they not have a life sentence?

WatTyler,

Qbit

cannabanana
Holy cow
BBC News said:
Under Norwegian law, Mr Breivik faces a maximum of 21 years in jail if convicted, although that sentence can be extended if a prisoner is deemed a threat to the public.
21 years?!? Do they not have a life sentence?

You know, somehow I get the feeling that this guy could possibly qualify for the 'threat to the public' category.

Qbit,

momatik

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/us/25debate.html?_r=4&ref=global-home

New piece saying basically what I was just saying.

His manifesto, which denounced Norwegian politicians as failing to defend the country from Islamic influence, quoted Robert Spencer, who operates the Jihad Watch Web site, 64 times, and cited other Western writers who shared his view that Muslim immigrants pose a grave danger to Western culture.

So frustrating. Robert Spencer's hodgepodge of half truths mixed with blatant lies is all over his manifesto. They are in damage control and seeing them struggle to defend themselves is pathetic. This is what happens when you argue sensationalized stories and lay out your conspiracy theories of how Muslims are taking over Europe from within. People will respond and absorb them in varying degrees. That's the responsibility you take as a so called "scholar."

Mr. Breivik frequently cited another blog, Atlas Shrugs, and recommended the Gates of Vienna among Web sites. Pamela Geller, an outspoken critic of Islam who runs Atlas Shrugs, wrote on her blog Sunday that any assertion that she or other antijihad writers bore any responsibility for Mr. Breiviks actions was ridiculous.

If anyone incited him to violence, it was Islamic supremacists, she wrote.

momatik,

jackmormon

Why was this (fall) guy's blogs and manifesto written in English when he is supposed to be a Norwegian political activist?

Is English the common language in Norway? If he really is what they media portrays him as you would think he would be trying to get his ideas out to the people of Norway?!?!?

jackmormon,

lwien

He was trying to get his message out to all of Europe and if there is one semi-universal language that is shared between countries, it'd be English.

I heard a lot of interviews with some of the kids on the island as well as with some of the rescuers and they all spoke English. If this happened here, I doubt if anyone interviewed would be able to speak in Norwegian.

lwien,

jackmormon

Thanks. I was just curious about and didn't know if English was like a second language to most Norwegians as it is in some other European countries.

jackmormon,

Qbit

cannabanana
jackmormon said:
Why was this (fall) guy's blogs and manifesto written in English when he is supposed to be a Norwegian political activist?

Is English the common language in Norway? If he really is what they media portrays him as you would think he would be trying to get his ideas out to the people of Norway?!?!?

Five million people speak Norwegian; a lot more speak English - including most Norwegians. Mind you he has written plenty of material online in his own language too.

Qbit,
Top Bottom