6 Kinds of Pills Big Pharma Tries to Get You Hooked on for Life

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
***I despise big Pharma!!! Of course they don't really want to help people. If they cured you, they wouldn't be able to continue to line their pockets. They truly are evil SOB's!! Also why they continue to pour out millions of dollars for lobbyists to keep cannabis illegal. Sick creeps!

****I posted this same article, and comment, on my Facebook page.

Why has Big Pharma failed to produce new antibiotics for deadly infections like MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), VRE (vancomycin-resistant enterococci), C. Difficile and Acinetobacter baumannii even as they leap from hospital to community settings? Because there is no money in it.

Since direct-to-consumer drug advertising debuted in the late 1990s, the number of people on prescription drugs -- especially prescription drugs for life -- has ballooned. Between 2001 to 2007 the percentage of adults and children on one or more prescriptions for chronic conditions rose by more than 12 million, reports the Associated Press and 25 percent of US children now take a medication for a chronic condition. Seven percent of kids take two or more daily drugs. Who says advertising doesn't work?

Of the top-selling drugs in 2011, led by Lipitor, Nexium, Plavix, Advair Diskus, Abilify, Seroquel, Singulair and Crestor, none is taken occasionally, or "as needed" and the treatment goal is never to get off the drug, like an antibiotic. Why would Pharma deal itself out of the game?

There are two ways Pharma hooks the US public on prescriptions for life. First, prescriptions that used to be taken as needed for pain, anxiety, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux), asthma, mood problems, migraines and even erectile dysfunction, gout and retroviruses (in some cases) are now full-time medicines. Instead of having a bad day or heartburn, you have a disease like anxiety or GERD which calls for full pharmaceutical artillery. Instead of having body pain to be treated transiently, you are put on an antidepressant like Cymbalta or seizure drug like Lyrica or Neurontin indefinitely.

Here are some drugs -- not all -- that are marketed for perpetuity.

1. ADHD and Drugs for Pediatric 'Psychopathologies'
Thanks to Pharma's "diagnose early" and screening campaigns, millions of children are treated with stimulants for ADHD and antipsychotics for bipolar disorder and assorted conduct, oppositional defiant, development disorders and "spectrums" today. No wonder Michael Bandick, brand manager for Eli Lilly's popular antipsychotic Zyprexa, called it "the molecule that keeps on giving" at a national sales meeting.

But giving kids daily drugs creates two problems. First, parents will never know if their kids would have outgrown their conditions, and second, it's unlikely they'll ever get "clean." In fact, Pharma marketers worry about the revenue threat of kids going off their meds when they leave home and even run an ad campaigns in college newspapers to keep them on. One ad shows the lead singer of Maroon 5, declaring, "I remember being the kid with ADHD. Truth is, I still have it." The ad's tag line reads, "It's Your ADHD. Own It."

2. Hormone Replacement Therapy
When the popular HRT pill Prempro was launched by Wyeth, now Pfizer, in the 1980s, then-CEO Bob Essner told sales associates, “We can make real the full promise of HRT to create in the near future a world where the majority of women will start HRT at menopause and continue on it for the rest of their lives,” reports Philadelphia magazine. The scheme of treating estrogen "deficiency" for 30 or 40 years worked until 2002 when HRT was found to cause breast cancer, heart attacks, strokes, blood clots and dementia. They were some of the conditions it was supposed to prevent. Oops. But Pharma has not abandoned the billion-dollar franchise and news about estrogen benefits is creeping back into the news, predicated on the public's short memory. People don't lose hormones because they age; they age because they lose hormones, say Pharma hormone sellers. Even men now "suffer from" testosterone deficiencies or Low T.

3. Happy Pills
Pharma's success in convincing people with anxiety or the "blues" that they need an antidepressant was a Wall Street coup. Instead of taking the occasional Xanax, people agreed to alter their entire body chemistry with a drug they took for months, years or decades.

But as antidepressants fall in popularity, because of their many side effects, including alarming "discontinuation symptoms" when people try to stop, WebMD is conducting damage control to keep people on them. Don’t believe that antidepressants turn “you into a zombie,” make you gain weight, ruin your sex life, make you "forget your problems rather than dealing with them" or cost too much, says the huge pro-pill Web site in one article. Depression is linked to heart disease, obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and cancer says a second WebMD article. Stay on your meds.

4. Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)
Some say gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is just lowly "heartburn" whipped up by Pharma into a profitable disease. But over 110 million prescriptions were written for proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like Nexium and Prevacid in 2009, making it the third most prescribed class of drugs. Long-term use of PPIs increases the risk of hip, wrist and spine fractures, the FDA warns and the drugs can cause potentially lethal C. difficile-caused diarrhea and community-acquired pneumonia says national health advocacy group, Public Citizen. But Pharma has a different message. GERD can lead to esophageal inflammation, scar tissue and cancer, if untreated, it tells patients and symptoms won't go away on their own. No wonder doctors call PPIs "Purple Crack."

5. Statins
The best-selling statin drugs like Lipitor and Crestor that lower their cholesterol risks are pretty much the definition of "lifer medications," taken in perpetuity. Who would dare to go off of them and risk cardiovascular events?

One patient on a cholesterol drug site writes that despite feeling "miserable" on statins, "What do you do? Go off the statins and let your arteries clog up?" But medical professionals say it is not safe to stay on statins indefinitely. Patients are at risk of liver dysfunction, acute kidney failure, cataracts and muscle damage known as myopathy, reports British Medical Journal. And statins can also cause memory loss and increase the risk of developing of Type 2 diabetes and muscle damage, FDA warns.
Still the appeal of a drug that lowers the risk of cardiovascular events without a change in diet or lifestyle made Lipitor the top-selling drug in the world, until recently, when its patent expired. Statins are now prescribed for kids, for the same reason.

6. Asthma-Control Medicines
Like ADHD and "pediatric psychopathology" drugs, Pharma conducts aggressive early treatment campaigns for asthma drugs, recommending that children as young as one year be treated when "symptoms" first emerge. ("Before they go away,” says one cynical doctor.)

It has also marketed daily asthma "control" medicines like Advair and Symbicort so aggressively (prescription drugs added onto patients' regular asthma medicine -- ka-ching) that nearly two-thirds of the nation's millions of asthma sufferers take them. Despite the expense of adding an additional drug to rescue inhalers or inhaled corticosteroids when asthma is a lifelong disease, there are no clinical benefits to the upsell, says the research institute of Medco, the nation's largest pharmacy benefit manager. Neither trips to the ER or hospitalizations are reduced with control drugs. And there's another mark against the daily drugs that don't work: they may make asthma worse says some published reports.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Good article. I would add blood pressure medications to the list. Thankfully, as most of you know, I was able to discontinue mine after starting to vape cannabis. Just had my BP checked yesterday, 117/70 . . . :)

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Great article and information Vicki! Thank you for posting it.

I was recently told by my doctor that I was borderline for high cholesterol and Type 2 Diabetes. Since I've had HepC, there is no way I am going to go on drugs that could further damage my liver. I'm also not a fan of being on any kind of meds, especially those with side effects. It's lifestyle change time for me! I'm lucky that my doctor will give me the chance to do that. It makes me sick that many doctors would rather prescribe a pill than address the problem. Of course, the patients that let them do that are just as bad. People need to get more proactive about their own health and knowledge is power. :2c:

momofthegoons,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Good article. I would add blood pressure medications to the list. Thankfully, as most of you know, I was able to discontinue mine after starting to vape cannabis. Just had my BP checked yesterday, 117/70 . . . :)

I wish I could stop my BP med!! Just yesterday, my BP was 130/106 while on the damn med. I have changed my diet too. Maybe I'm not using enough cannabis, but I can't afford a ton of it, so I'm always conserving. Even if I'm sitting on a half ounce, which I happen to be right now.

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Great article and information Vicki! Thank you for posting it.

I was recently told by my doctor that I was borderline for high cholesterol and Type 2 Diabetes. Since I've had HepC, there is no way I am going to go on drugs that could further damage my liver. I'm also not a fan of being on any kind of meds, especially those with side effects. It's lifestyle change time for me! I'm lucky that my doctor will give me the chance to do that. It makes me sick that many doctors would rather prescribe a pill than address the problem. Of course, the patients that let them do that are just as bad. People need to get more proactive about their own health and knowledge is power. :2c:

Exactly mom, very well said!

I really hope you are able to change your health with a lifestyle change. I am at that point right now, and hoping I can get off some of the drugs, including my BP med and statin.

Vicki,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
For those that take statins, you can use CoQ10 to help with the fatigue they cause and my doctor has me use red yeast rice instead. Its a statin per-cursor and available at health food stores.

Edit: On the CoQ10, use Ubiquinol, the active form of CoQ10 so your body doesn't have to convert it, and my doctor told me yesterday that recent research indicates the optimum dose to be 200 mg/day not 100 as previously thought.

t-dub,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thank you. :) So far, so good. I'm down 20 lbs. and exercising (almost) daily. I've also cut out a lot of sugar and processed foods. My last checkup was a positive one, so in a few more months they take my blood work and we'll see if I was successful. I'm thinking positively and know it will work. Hell, it better! Walking past the bakery section of the specialty store I was in an hour or so ago was really, really hard today..... :uhoh: I felt like the little engine that could...."I think I can, I think I can..... :lol:

On a serious note; making serious lifestyle changes isn't easy. It takes a lot of determination and commitment. I call it "having the eye of the tiger." And often people (including myself or I wouldn't be doing it now) take the easy way out, especially when it comes to food. Eating healthy takes some effort and isn't the cheapest way to eat. Now there's another real scam. Organic foods costing more. Would you care to tell me how a plant that has had nothing but organic fertilizer (manure!) costs more to grow than one than required all kinds of pesticides, etc.? And don't get me started on genetically altered seeds.... :cuss: :disgust:

sorry....derailing....

momofthegoons,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I think you can blame private health care too and doctors taking advantage of insurance cover. I don't feel quite as force fed drugs over here as you guys in the US seem to, and I think that our state healthcare has something to do with it. To be totally honest I've not had very much prescribed for me at all, even when I've wanted things! Instead of being 'on commission' or similar with drug companies, our NHS is focused towards trying to be efficient with it's limited resources. And, although controversial, doctors are increasingly involved in managing the budgetary side of healthcare at a local and regional level (but isn't that better than overpaid bureaucrat managers?). That's not to say there aren't still possible irregularities or shady sides to some of the relationships involved in getting drugs onto the accepted treatment list in a region, but there're a lot of people watching for that- it's public money being spent after all (not that that means much going on some experiences, but it's harder to hide than in the private sector). It's not a perfect system though and got plenty of faults- instead of thinking about profit they're thinking about budget constraints (though individual practises can still run at profit, I think). How to find the middle and just think about appropriate treatment?

Do insurance companies ever send their own doctors to give their own diagnoses and verify that drugs/treatment is warranted, or is it just left to the institution selling the treatment? I guess it would get pretty brutal though if you had insurance doctors going around arguing over peoples treatments......

WatTyler,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Walking past the bakery section of the specialty store I was in an hour or so ago was really, really hard today..... :uhoh: I felt like the little engine that could...."I think I can, I think I can.....

I have SO been there!! :lol:

Vicki,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Do insurance companies ever send their own doctors to give their own diagnoses and verify that drugs/treatment is warranted, or is it just left to the institution selling the treatment? I guess it would get pretty brutal though if you had insurance doctors going around arguing over peoples treatments......
Well Wat, they don't travel around doing that BUT the insurance companies do have doctors to oppose treatments they don't want to pay for. Its not cost effective to oppose treatments that don't cost a lot of $$$ so you won't see interference until you get into big $$$ medicine. Then what happens is this. The companies denies your treatment and offers you arbitration to settle your dispute if you disagree. This is where the experts come in, yours and theirs. After a 4 hour phone call and threatening to bring in an army of my own doctors they finally approved my treatment but it is over $50k/year . . .

t-dub,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

It's between the doctor and patient here. However, I can't even count how many times I've seen the drug reps in the doctor's offices peddling their drugs they want them to "push" (I mean suggest, yeah right) on their patients. I'm lucky because my doctor takes their "suggestions" with a grain of salt, and always looks for the best way to treat her patients.

She was able to help me my last visit by giving me coupons for the brand name thyroid I needed to switch to because the generic just wasn't working. I've only been on the new brand name thyroid med (Synthroid) one month, and I already feel TONS better where that is concerned.

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Well Wat, they don't travel around doing that BUT the insurance companies do have doctors to oppose treatments they don't want to pay for. Its not cost effective to oppose treatments that don't cost a lot of $$$ so you won't see interference until you get into big $$$ medicine. Then what happens is this. The companies denies your treatment and offers you arbitration to settle your dispute if you disagree. This is where the experts come in, yours and theirs. After a 4 hour phone call and threatening to bring in an army of my own doctors they finally approved my treatment but it is over $50k/year . . .

You're right about this too. It's not just the drug reps trying to control what a doctor prescribes, the damn insurance companies want their say if the treatment might seem to expensive, TO THEM. Here is a good example. A few years ago, I was on Advair to control my Asthma. I was taking it for more than a year, when one day I go to refill my prescription, and they deny it. With no warning and no explanation. When the Pharmacist called to find out why, they just said it was too expensive to cover anymore and I was to use an "alternative."

Guess what? There is no alternative, which the Pharmacist told them. I had to end up calling my doctor so she could prescribe me TWO different inhalers so I could get the same medicine that was in the Advair. As a result, I became patient non-compliant because I was sick of sucking on tons of inhalers all day long. BUT, guess what else happened?! I discovered I was ok without it! Don't get me wrong, I still occasionally use a rescue inhaler (maybe once every couple months), but my Asthma DID NOT get worse after I stopped the other inhalers. Shocker. :rolleyes:

Vicki,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Now there's another interesting thing; "the generic just wasn't working." I've noticed the same thing with a few drugs I've had to take in the past. What is up with that!? :suspicious:

momofthegoons,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Now there's another interesting thing; "the generic just wasn't working." I've noticed the same thing with a few drugs I've had to take in the past. What is up with that!? :suspicious:

My doctor explained this to me. She said that generics are allowed to have different fillers, and more of them, than the brand name. A lot of times, those different fillers can cause a person to not properly absorb the drug. On a side note, I am paying CASH for my Synthroid because if I had it filled through my insurance, it would be MORE EXPENSIVE. How fucked up is that??

Vicki,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
:disgust: Pretty fucked up.

The older I get, the more disillusioned I get with the way things are... I really feel bad for the kids these days. The world just isn't the place it used to be. Some things are better; sure. But my overall estimation is that things are pretty fucked up all across the board. :myday:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
You know mom, I thought about the kids as well but you know, I ask em about this crap and most of them don't even know or care . . . with no frame of reference its hard for them to "know" how screwed up things really are. Plus with social networking, school, tv, etc the kids are way overstimulated and none of them get proper nutrition . . .:worms:

Top Bottom