18650 Battery Safety

GoldenBud

Yup, I use batteries with those warnings in vapes all the time. As long as you know what you're doing is fine. Just some people may not know and do something dangerous.

So now if something was to happen the company can just say, it was on the label not to do that.
Check the message above you

GoldenBud,

ScyOne

It's rated 8a which is almost 30w, so if your vape uses like 20w that is fine. Alot of stuff uses dual, so you have 60w to play with.

I wasn't commenting about that particular battery, just that the label is for liability reasons.

I would say one of the most popular ecig cell used is the Samsung 30q and they have that warning.

if you look at ecig vape shops, pretty much all of them push that battery. The cell mfg know people will use it anyways, but don't want to be held liable for user error.

Was just thinking about it and I kinda think their is a company that rewraps to remove those warnings. If you buy them from vape shops they never have that warning and seem like they are done up and repackaged by a third party, with boxes and stickers on them. If you buy them from a general battery seller they will have the warning though.

See, 2 links of same battery, the vape shop one does not have warning and general battery supplier does.

Also, a little insight on why the warning list handling, carrying and installing as a bad idea. When ecigs became popular I remember reading that Sony stated these cell are meant for mfgs to make battery packs out of, not loose cells for users to handle. So probably if you are seeing that warning, something must of gone wrong..... this is just an idea, but you can decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
You just have to carry those batteries in their plastic boxes and try not to get them wet.

Haze Mister,

ScyOne

Was thinking about that reply to mines cause it seemed odd and realized most people recommend 15a.

A lot of people recommend 15a batteries cause it's a good balance. Even I would recommend 15a. But if you knew what you were doing can get away with a lot less. Take into consideration running at 15a straight the battery would only last 7mins.

Even the Arizer Air OEM battery is only 5a.

ScyOne,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Excepted most on-demand convection portables that got good punch really recommend 20A and can get away with 18A (for instance the Samsung 30Q is sold as 15A but is closer to 18A in reality) So it's not just a matter of good balance.

And while they don't really draw 20A (or maybe close to that but only for a brief moment when full in the case of some unregulated ones) we need to add at least 5A of safety margin for a couple reasons:

1) it's not recommended to operate cells at their CDR, as it reduces their service life.

2) when cells age, their IR raises and their CDR lowers in the process, meaning over time you will start getting closer to their limit and they will heat etc, and then it's a vicious cycle.

Also note that like most conduction portables, the Air is seriously under-powered. You can get conduction going with 10 to 20W.

badbee

But if you knew what you were doing can get away with a lot less. Take into consideration running at 15a straight the battery would only last 7mins.
Keep in mind that the max CDR rating doesn't tell you this cell works well at 15 A, it's telling you this cell is safe enough to not explode at 15 A. The capacity rating of cells is NOT for their max current capability, it is typically measured at a draw of 0.5 A or less. Cells that are pushed to their max have a significantly lower effective capacity. A 15A rated cell, when pushed to max current, may have have a lower effective capacity than a 25 A rated cell running at 15 A, even though that first cell has a higher published capacity.

This is why people find the Molicel P28A seems to work better, for longer, even in vapes that don't need all of that current capability. The Molicel works really well through a range of currents and has less fade and voltage drop as it discharges. The last session is as good as the first (or at least close). The on paper ratings of cells don't translate directly to the high stress environment we use them in.

ScyOne

Was just making a point that it would not use that much amps really, not that you have to run it full all the time. It is true that if you run at full cdr you lose a lot of capacity, around 50% even. And yea on demand vapes are gonna boost with a lot of watts.

Mooch does a lot of testing with batteries under specific conditions. Including capacity at certain amp draws, which is interesting. He also stated somewhere the Molicel P28a and P26a have some of the highest "e-score" he tested.

He posted a graph here if you wanted to compare them. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/4c09e43d-476f-44cb-9d98-8ab20be26444-jpeg.987441/

I do find a lot of mfg's use sub par quality batteries. I replace them quite often with better stuff. Replacing 3000mah 18650's with 5000mah 21700 is my favorite thing to do.

Last edited:

Notcoded419

Can these batteries be shipped at all? I know you have to declare them with USPS. I'm considering letting go of one of my devices and wondering if I should offer to include batteries, but am not sure if that is just flat out prohibited or requires special handling/added expense. It may not be worth the added trouble.

Notcoded419,
Reactions: LesPlenty

hinglemccringleberry

Can these batteries be shipped at all? I know you have to declare them with USPS. I'm considering letting go of one of my devices and wondering if I should offer to include batteries, but am not sure if that is just flat out prohibited or requires special handling/added expense. It may not be worth the added trouble.
Just put them in a designated container meant for 18650's and you'll be fine.
The major online retailers of these batteries ship them out all the time...if shipping them were illegal I don't think those retailers would have a very good business model.

zeusjames

I recall in one of my orders that when I added batteries the shipping was somehow different. I don't remember how but it had something to do with different labeling. I removed them from my cart and purchased the batteries from a battery store.

zeusjames,

Maschine

Search function brought up nothing hope that`s not due to the short search term:\
Molicel 18650 P30
They will work just fine with vaporizers like the older models do? Could someone be so kind and confirm this?

Maschine,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thank you for clarifying this!
I indeed only found one site that has the Molicel P30 in stock and they look suspicious to me, like re wrapped Link.
Every other site is out of stock. Guess I will buy some P28 and wait.

The newest “MOLICEL 18650 P30B”, is most likely to be the new KING of 18650 batteries!

At the link you provided, the photo has Molicel printed on it, looks legit.

REWRAPS would hide the real brand with their own “label”. The problem with REWRAPS is most times they are inferior batteries with unrealistic specs printed on the made up labels. And even if the battery under the label is the original version, often these are from a LESSER BIN, meaning like a “B”, or “C” batch. They will work, but not be from the batches that tested at “A GRADE”. Without proper test equipment, we as consumers can only rely on using battery vendors that don’t selll fakes and REWRAPS.

kiddvudu2

I'm due for a new set of 18650's. I'll monitor this thread to see if anybody finds them for sale.

Thanks all!

kiddvudu2,

RustyOldNail

I'm due for a new set of 18650's. I'll monitor this thread to see if anybody finds them for sale.

Thanks all!

I imagine they will be expensive at first, compared to the previous Molicel 18650’s. But HIGH AMPS and HIGH CAPACITY, is going to be great, I believe I read these will run a bit cooler too.

MOOCH REVIEW OF PREPRODUCTION Molicel P30B:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/bench-test-results-molicel-p30b-30a-3000mah-18650.982551/

PARTIAL TEXT:

“Test Results
I did some preliminary testing of these pre-production (sample) cells for my Patreon supporters a few weeks ago and they were incredible. Here’s the full test report.

This is the best performing 18650 we can buy for any use above about 10A (about 30W). At about 10A or lower this cell still performs almost as well as any other 18650, within 4% or less of their run time. Even when compared to 3500mAh cells.”

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
$9.99. Every place I see them listed. Not in stock yet, but listed.

RustyOldNail

$9.99. Every place I see them listed. Not in stock yet, but listed.

Yeah, like I said, these will cost more at first release. Looks like they start at 2x price of the previous versions. But these may be the best 18650’s as of now.

kiddvudu2

Looks like they may have been in stock at 18650batterystore.com, but now saying out of stock... Unless it's always said that, this is the first time I've looked.

kiddvudu2,

RustyOldNail

Looks like they may have been in stock at 18650batterystore.com, but now saying out of stock... Unless it's always said that, this is the first time I've looked.

In the past, I’ve signed up for a “notify me when in stock”, and received them, from that store.

RustyOldNail,

axilla101

Random question-- if you have a solid charger with an auto-cut off, is it ok to leave batteries charging overnight? I know they'll stop when full, but didnt know if several hours in the charger while already charged would drain the batteries?

axilla101,

RustyOldNail

Random question-- if you have a solid charger with an auto-cut off, is it ok to leave batteries charging overnight? I know they'll stop when full, but didnt know if several hours in the charger while already charged would drain the batteries?

Several hours, NOT a problem. All good lithium battery chargers should shutoff at 4.2 volts.
Some chargers will AUTO start charging when the voltage drops to some “preset” voltage, but you would have to consult the charger manual. Over days or probably weeks, there could be a tiny amount of voltage loss if left on cheap chargers. So in the case you describe, you are fine!

axilla101

Several hours, NOT a problem. All good lithium battery chargers should shutoff at 4.2 volts.
Some chargers will AUTO start charging when the voltage drops to some “preset” voltage, but you would have to consult the charger manual. Over days or probably weeks, there could be a tiny amount of voltage loss if left on cheap chargers. So in the case you describe, you are fine!

Great to know, thanks so much! Even better, I can leaving them charging at .5 overnight and know I'm not going to be waiting for a battery :)

Top Bottom