12v SLA batteries in regard to the MFLB PA and Log style vapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico420

Hey whats up FC'ers, I'm kinda new round these parts but not to vaping. Anyway i had this idea while using my MFLB PA and browsing the web. I had an idea of building a SLA battery backup to charge electronics and power other low amperage ac devices via an inverter and a <20ah 12v SLA. This seemed like a good cheap way to have not only portable power that could be charged up from a vehicle as well, but as a battery backup in case of blackouts which are common in my area in certain times of the year. A few days later, i was researching about the woodeez vape via google and came across the fact that the MFLB/Woodeez power supplies are very similar. So similar in fact that they are most likely interchangeable. The MFLB power adapter uses 12V @ 1.25A. I can only assume at this point until i receive my woodeez later this week :brow:, that the woodeez adapter is close to/the same specs. Now, what this all rolls up to is my idea of having an adjustable 12-18v power controller that takes an ac input or car dc, and charges the sla along with providing a 12v output from the sla when disconnected from ac/dc input. You could power the MFLB PA safely as long as the voltage was 12v dc regulated, and the batteries could handle the current. This would theoretically achieve possibly even greater temps with the MFLB PA, but may be detrimental to its lifespand due to overvoltage. As well, the woodeez, i believe can handle a 14.4v power supply quite fine and just makes it hotter, achieving the same affect as the MFLB PA, turning a fixed temp vape into a variable temp vape.

This leaves me with a few questions-

Would a 12v 20ah SLA cell be able to power a 12v 1.25a load? Possibly higher amperage for the Woodeez and overvolting for the MFLBPA/woodeez.

How long would battey life be in a configuration such as this?

Would a different battery tech be advisible? (would have to be price compatable)

Any suggestions on where to get parts relatively cheaply?
ie- good discount online electronic hobby supplier in US.

Any suggestions on a power controller or battery charger or combo of the two?

Any Suggestions on anything related to this project to be are welcome in fact.

Thanks and Safe Vaping-

Rico420

Rico420,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
yes it has enough power. I'm probably not the best person to answer, but know a few things...

20 Ah means it will discharge completely in one hour if carrying a 20 amp load, or twenty hours with a one amp load, so divide 20 by 1.25 and it should, ideally, last for sixteen hours, but I don't know anything about SLA capacity or how long they retain it.

i've heard you can get used laptop battery packs from places that accept them for recycling, and that they usually only have a couple of cells bad. Chargers are $15 plus shipping. You would need to salvage 27 to technically last as long as that SLA, but the capacity will likely be 75% of what they're rated for (3.6v x 4 = 14.4v; 20Ah/2.3=~9; 4 x 9 = 36). you could also build it for lower voltage and use a DC/DC step-up converter.
-
Li-Ion's are potentially dangerous during charging or when loading them, especially in stacked configurations, but they sell lead lined bags to charge them in, or do it in the garage.

i just ordered battery charger for li-ion from all-battery.com (tenergy 2-channel, $15), and know they sell SLA stuff also. Their prices were a buck off dealextreme and they're in Fremont, CA. (so save three weeks on shipping).

EDIT: I changed the number of bats in series from 3 to 4, so 4 series, 9 parallel

VWFringe,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom