1.6 volts from a 1s lipo battery

NCFRC

I enjoy playing with electronics and after digging out my old mflb ,
I decided to come up with a much easier way of getting a good
10 amps of power instead of messing with AA batteries.
Plus nimh cells are quite dated and a pia to keep charging.

So I'll jump ahead and say that after trial and error , I built a 300 watt / .25 ohm
resistor that under a 10 amp load will drop a 1 cell
lipo of 4.20 volts to 1.6 volts. You should use a Lipo of at least 3000 mah
to get the best results.

Yes , you have to fabricate a dummy battery if your going to use the stock
set up or you can think out side the box and hard wire it with a momentary switch
like mine.

NCFRC,
Reactions: KeroZen

NCFRC

I've built several and refined the details some.

A 4.20 volt "charged" Lipo thru a 80 watt / .25 ohm resistor will flow 10 amps to the
MFLB and a voltage of 1.45-1.55 , slightly higher than a freshly charged AA cell.

A 4.20 volt Lipo thru a 100 watt / .20 ohm resistor will flow 12 amps to the MFLB
and a voltage of 1.60 -1.70 , actually quite a bit hotter than stock and you have to
be carefull not to burn your product as the tray can easily hit 400+ degree's.

Both of these are night and day better than using an AA cell that the voltage plumates
in a few minutes. I'm using 6000+ mah 1 cell lipo's and the time of use will be way
beyond the hastle of charging the Lipo. One to two weeks of use I'd guess.

My MFLB is hard wired to the unit and controlled by a 15 amp momentary roller switch.
I have a dual stage voltage led meter on mine that switches from source voltage to
actual draw voltage automatically every time you hit the switch.
Then I use a common Deans connector to plug into the Battery / Resistor pack.

Last edited:
NCFRC,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Why don't you use a switching step-down voltage regulator? You would get more efficiency and a more constant output voltage, as well as being able to set it to the correct value.

Last edited:
KeroZen,
Reactions: Joel W.

NCFRC

Much more cost effective and I use a high enough wattage resistor that there's very
little variance in output voltage. I can set the value or temp at anything I want.
I'm not trying to sell a thing , just help out someone who likes to solder things together :}

You can bust me all you want as I don't care. I only use MJ to help with my
dehibilitating depression and I'm no electrical engineer.
I'm sure there's better ways that have been done long before me.

I guess KeroZen needs to build his own design.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
NCFRC,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Well, I'm indeed toying with some ideas, but I'm afraid you got my intention wrong in the first place. No-one is here to bust you. Maybe I should have welcomed you more warmly? But my question was just out of curiosity, as you seem to have enough knowledge to use one, and it's not a pricey component these days.

Anyway, welcome to FC and I hope our friendly bunch community will help you feel better!

KeroZen,

NCFRC

I've submitted the idea to MF along with pictures. Maybe they'll develope a Lipo
battery to be used with their 2.0 power cord. That way portability wouldn't be a issue.

NCFRC,
Top Bottom