Zirconia balls instead of rubies in ball vapes?

goldfinger

Does anyone have experience with this in a ball vape? If so, which vape? How did it work? Did it impact your operating temperature? Which is better in your opinion?

goldfinger,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

"
Zirconium dioxide has a thermal conductivity of 2 W/(m·K), which makes it perfect for situations where heat needs to be contained.
"
so it's more like borosilicate glass (around 1W/m*K) , and boro beads are much cheaper....

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud

babunja

"
Zirconium dioxide has a thermal conductivity of 2 W/(m·K), which makes it perfect for situations where heat needs to be contained.
"
so it's more like borosilicate glass (around 1W/m*K) , and boro beads are much cheaper....
hello I'm looking for balls that are as safe as possible, I was thinking of boro balls this one: https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/10...2218fcNP1jpw&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2itaMsite

But also ruby but i don't know if is safe as boro

Ruby: https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/10...2218fc9jUV6C&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2itaMsite

I'm interested in safety and efficiency, I know rubies conduct better than boro balls, but are they so much better if we don't count the recovery time?

babunja,

Gomaruana

hello I'm looking for balls that are as safe as possible, I was thinking of boro balls this one: https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/10...2218fcNP1jpw&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2itaMsite

But also ruby but i don't know if is safe as boro

Ruby: https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/10...2218fc9jUV6C&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=gloPc2itaMsite

I'm interested in safety and efficiency, I know rubies conduct better than boro balls, but are they so much better if we don't count the recovery time?
I might order the glass ones, how do you know it is boro glass? I'm a bit afraid of breaking them. They are way cheaper then the rubies though.

Gomaruana,
Reactions: babunja

babunja

I might order the glass ones, how do you know it is boro glass? I'm a bit afraid of breaking them. They are way cheaper then the rubies though.
we are in the same boat, however I ordered them and they must arrive at the end of March, I asked the seller and he said they are boro balls, you can only trust them and check when they arrive. I will keep you up to date!

babunja,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I looked at the thermal properties and didn't think they would be a good material for ballz. Perhaps as an addition to other balls, they could increase heat retention marginally. Smaller balls are less likely to crack and I think 3mm is safe with any of the suitable materials. It doesn't even matter if they crack!

babunja

I looked at the thermal properties and didn't think they would be a good material for ballz. Perhaps as an addition to other balls, they could increase heat retention marginally. Smaller balls are less likely to crack and I think 3mm is safe with any of the suitable materials. It doesn't even matter if they crack!
yes I know, but before taking the ruby I want to try the boro ball

babunja,

Gomaruana

"
"
Do you know the conductivity of the rubies?
Stainless steel has around 16w/mk, is a lower number better for keeping the heat?

Gomaruana,

GoldenBud

Do you know the conductivity of the rubies?
Stainless steel has around 16w/mk, is a lower number better for keeping the heat?
around 40 W/m*K as mentioned..
then Rubies tend to hold heat better than Stainless steel, yep

GoldenBud,

babunja

mostly i can't find a single post, video or anything comparing ruby balls to boro balls, If you have seen any please send me the link thanks

babunja,

Gomaruana

Wouldn't a high conductivity number (rapid heat exchange?) mean that they lose their heat faster?
Edit, if I understand it correctly a high conductivity number means a lot of heat can be removed when in contact with air.
Would that mean to get the same hot air effect you would need more boro balls because they don't give off the heat as well as the rubies, but they will cool down slower because they retain the heat longer?

Last edited:
Gomaruana,
Reactions: Cheebsy

GoldenBud

mostly i can't find a single post, video or anything comparing ruby balls to boro balls, If you have seen any please send me the link thanks
ye I understand.... it's actually a bit hard to find an official post about x beads vs y beads because in the industry they don't use beads usually, because of the risks of beads falling on somebody etc', safety is important when you work with big systems with high temps etc'....
Wouldn't a high conductivity number (rapid heat exchange?) mean that they lose their heat faster?
no, for example wood has a very low K value and it's a great insulator (because of its air pockets)

GoldenBud

Rubies is the best solution for people who want to mimic the Glass Symphony XLR into a smaller build. because GS used boro beads, and Rubies K value is much bigger than Boro, hence it keeps the heat better, but with overall smaller build. so you "mimic" a huge GS into a smaller build. available for very fast draws.

GoldenBud,
Reactions: hoptimum

Gomaruana

Gomaruana,
Reactions: 364F

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
Heat capacity makes a difference too. Higher heat capacity and heat conductivity allow for more heat storage and faster transfere of heat and recovery time.
On paper it looks like SiC is top and Corundum/Rubies next. Aluminium nitride looks better, but given that the thermal resistance changes with heat the temperatures we run our injector heads at Silicon Carbide may be better. SiC has a more stable thermal conductivity, and a higher thermal capacity. Definatley looks like its better than Ruby. Silicon nitride isnt quite upto Rubies performance. On paper.
My placebo effect tells me pool balls would work well if i could just make an injector head big enough.
dunno if beads even exist with its hardness of material?
it has a lower maximum temperature than SiC, I imagine it would be easier to form into any shape while hot than Sic because of that.

Had to edit, Just looked at the price of the bowl and coughed vapour everywhere. $149 for a tiny ceramic bowl? you could get a huge arse crucible made of Sic for that. You could fit alot of concentrate and balls in a Sic crucible thats 11cm high x 9.5 wide at the top. For $15 from china. And ruby looks prettier.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Heat capacity makes a difference too. Higher heat capacity and heat conductivity allow for more heat storage and faster transfere of heat and recovery time.
On paper it looks like SiC is top and Corundum/Rubies next. Aluminium nitride looks better, but given that the thermal resistance changes with heat the temperatures we run our injector heads at Silicon Carbide may be better. SiC has a more stable thermal conductivity, and a higher thermal capacity. Definatley looks like its better than Ruby. Silicon nitride isnt quite upto Rubies performance. On paper.
My placebo effect tells me pool balls would work well if i could just make an injector head big enough.
yeah, you're right. the cp value of SiC is much lower than the cp of the Rubies, hence it's easier to warm SiC, the beads will be ready sooner. so it's better by its K value and cp. only question left is how much SiC cost vs Rubies or Boro beads? boro has great cp value but not too good K value.

GoldenBud,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Top Bottom