• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Would this be a good start? Suggestions?

Lemming

Hi all, new member here.
I've read quite a bit recently and searched the forum too; i still think i'd be better off with some guidance and suggestions on my case.
I've quit tobacco many years ago; have had weed very little and intermittently since.
Nowadays i starterd growing for my own use, mostly CBD strains; i make edibles but having weed around, some inhaling is inviting ;-)
Currently if i want a hit, i just dig an old stone pipe i stored in the garage, add a tiny bit (very little) of weed and get one small hit.
That's it; no sessions, no people around. Just me in the garage at the end of the day for one or two tiny hits.
I want to start vaporizing, since even in this minimal scenario i do not like the harshness of smoke, nor i think it's any good. Actually, even if minimal, i do feel some disconfort in the throat for a while.
So here are my priorities and plan:

- Want softer experience for throat and lungs
- Minimal amount of weed used; one or two hits is enough
- Efficiency not a problem
- Torch, battery, plug... Whatever works, no real preference
- Fast and convenient to prepare, use and put away is better
- Less than $200 would be ideal

So with this in mind, i was thinking to get a VapCap and a torch lighter; i have been considering a Solo 2 or even a plug-in but i think the VapCap would be a better fit and even cheaper.
One doubt i have is regarding the smoothness of the vapor: will i find it nicer on my throat than the pipe i'm burning with now?
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the help, best
Lemming.

justcametomind

ime the downside to the vapcap is that it's hard to tell if/when going close to combustion, especially with tiny amounts of CBD weed.
I'd get a Fury Edge v2 which is electric, no techinque is involved and it's known for being a good first and budget friendly vape.
If you go desktop Extreme V Tower is a good desktop at the nicest price you can find for a plugin (99$). Any money spent on desktop units is better spent than on portables (no need to invest on batteries, replaceable or not, easier heat dissipation).

Last edited:

GoldenBud

because VapCap/Solo II/Fury Edge they are all conduction devices - you heat the material, without inhaling in the meanwhile. the taste is not pure 100%, comparing to a convection device.
get some Desktop log/ fw7 / io / lotus / extreme Q also great choice ... some vape which is also durable and also 100% convection
VapCap is although the best choice of vaporizer if you need something very small. which is not the case I think?

Greenleaf88

Idk why people are guiding you away from a dymavap, sounds like it is the device for you. If you don't want a warm hit lay off the airport small amounts, efficient, and very tasty. You can use a torch or induction heater or any heat source.

If you respect the click you will not combust it clicks at a temp so it doesn't combust if you decide to push its limits and combust it on you not the device.

It not expensive for under 100 dollars you have one and it will last forever. I sound like salesman lol.

The solo is not something you would be looking for seeing as it takes a while for the device to get going and requires a longer session. Now if you said i wanna a device i can sit and have a session with that was tasty i would tell you solo.Take one hit from a vapcap put It down come back to it later.

Lemming

Thank you all for the advices!
Too bad they are contrasting :-)
I have considered both options, the VapCap and a V Tower (EQ is actually almost the same price and supposedly nicer).
Price wise it's not a big difference; i'm trying to picture myself using either solution to get an idea. Hard to do with something you never used!
From my total ignorance i do imagine the following pros and cons:

VapCap
pros:
- Small and easy to get out and put away
- Reasonably fast to set up and use
- Simple and unbreakable
- Seem to work well with very small doses
cons:
- Need to use a torch (or IH, nice but more dough)
- No bag option
- No aromatherapy
- Shorter vapor path

EQ
pros:
- Better vapor (?)
- No need to use a (refillable) torch or extra $ IH
- Longer path
- Bag option
- Aromatherapy (i actually grow many aromathics and it would be nice to use them this way too)
cons:
- Takes longer to heat
- Bigger to store and get out
- Can break with time
- Not sure it works ok with small doses

I can see myself ok with either solution, but surely i imagine things wrong somewhere... The VapCap would be the straight substitute to my current pipe use; the EQ could improve on that or just make things unnecessarily more complicated.
Please keep the info coming; i'm sure i can make the better decision with informed help.
Best,
Lemming

Greenleaf88

I had a eq i loved it replaced it with a volcano. If you want to make bags eq is a great option.

Greenleaf88,

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
The EQ is the vape that made me quit combustion for good, so it holds a special place in my heart.
That being said, when it stopped working I haven't felt the need to buy another, especially because (just like any other Arizer product) the extraction is slow. Very slow.
Also, you can get fantastic vapor quality from a VapCap. And the fact that it has a shorter vapor path could be ideal if you're quitting combustion.:2c:

Vaporware

I don’t want to make your decision harder, and for your use a VapCap sounds like a great option, but if you ever want to use one with a convection heater you can also get a log like a WoodScents or Heat Island (I think you have to ask Alan to make it compatible). In that case your capless VapCap becomes the bowl and stem.

I’m sure the Arizer desktops could get the job done for you too, but if you like the idea of a VapCap I think it’s a great place to start and they’re easy enough to resell if you decide you need something different.

Vaporware,
  • Love
Reactions: LesPlenty

Lemming

Thanks for the replies.
As for the EQ, the more i think about it, the more i doubt i'll enjoy it. It takes several minutes just to heat up and then it is suitable to longer sessions. I'm used to go to the pipe when i'd like a hit, normally after dinner; pick it up, load a TINY bit, fire it and done. I just don't see myself planning this much ahead nor having a long session once ready.
Despite the shortcomings i'm sure it has, i suppose the VapCap would be a good start; at least it would get the job done for not too much money and fits better in the routine i'm used too and the stricter schedule / small amounts.
@VaporWare interesting about the log option for convection; but i'm in the EU: where and what should i look at for such options? Looks expensive enough, but an option nonetheless to be added in the future.
Lemming

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I think the folks recommending a budget desktop might not have noticed you saying you step out to your garage to smoke.

I have several vapcaps and they're a nice budget option for the dugout/one-hitter approach only with vapor instead of combustion.

That said, a vapcap is definitely not the most gentle or cool when it comes to reducing throat irritation. You also need to hit it like you're taking a massive cigarette drag (or two or three stacked up) if you want bigger hits. The draw resistance is pretty tight and you won't get as much air through it as you your little glass bowl.

I do still have my Fury Edge but it's just languishing unused for a theoretical hike use case when I'd worry about breaking my Tinymight. As an on demand convection snob I know I'd prefer one long hit from a Tinymight, Lotus, Splinter, Milaana, Tetra or any Sticky Brick to two hits from a Fury Edge, Mighty, Solo II or any session vape I've owned.

I do own a number of vapcaps and three induction heaters. The efficiency and durability are first rate but at home my flower is nice enough that I almost always reach for a Splinter Z or Tinymight to enjoy dense, lower temp convection clouds before getting dark and toasty. A vapcap is pretty much toasty to burnt toast from a flavor standpoint, although you will stretch your weed more than probably any vape I can think of (and that's a lot of vapes). For one hit and quit you do seem an obvious candidate

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
What about the Flowermate cap for a budget portable. First time around use?

A log would be good too for a quick rip and put away as well.

The problem with a log is it wouldn't be that quick unless you're able to leave it out and plugged in, not sure if thats an option for OP.

I personally love my log, its the only plug in I own (for now...) but I do leave it plugged in nearly 24/7, so its always ready to go.

If OP has outlets and a little table or bench in the garage a log would be great...he could even put it on a timer so it comes on like 30 mins before coming home and shuts off at midnight whatever.

If it could work, it would be a great option to replicate one or two small bowl hits.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Battery powered vapes will disappoint. The Dynavap (aka vapcap) is my portable of choice. It is not true that it tastes toasty- you can get the sweet flowery aromas if you don't heat past the click and heat near the top edge of the cap.

For better tasting and bigger hits without much waiting around to get baked, you probably need to spend more than 200 (and get a bubbler) or go DIY.
The Arizer EX is ugly as hell and is more or less OK if you mod it with a shorter bowl ( search for DDave's mod) , but it's an old design that hasn't aged well. A log vape would be a better choice over the Arizer. They only consume 10 -20 watts or so, so you can leave it on.

Last edited:

badbee

Too bad they are contrasting :-)
It's a challenge...

Comparing an EQ to a VapCap is a bit of an apples to roller skates comparison. Two devices with very different usage patterns. From your description I don't think the EQ is what you want, too big, takes too long to warm up and use, not ideal for microdosing. The vapcap sounds like a match in most ways except that they tend to give quite hot hits. Put it through a cooling stem or small bubbler and it's much easier to take. Most vapes benefit from external cooling.

Many people love the VC (vapcap), I have two I very rarely use. My complaints about the VC are that it's too hot, the hits are too small and I find the external heat source and exposed hot cap a nuisance. You might love it.

You also might do fine with one of the more standard entry level vapes like the Fury 2, POTV One or something from Arizer. They will be slower than the VC but are affordable, convenient, easy to use on the go or in the garage, mostly idiot proof. Pair it with a bubbler (see a trend here) for extra cooling. You don't need to use water in the bubbler, the dry glass will still absorb a lot of heat.

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
I don't think a log would be a good idea, as they take forever to heat up, so probably won't be ideal for the OP quick hits in the garage.
For the intended usage I'd go for an on-demand unit, hence why between the EQ and the Vapcap he initially considered I suggested the latter.
Of course Splinter, Milaana, Glow, Sticky Brick are all great alternatives (with different learning curves).

Lemming

Ok, so i think an on demand is the way to go for me. I've also been loking around for places to get it in EU.
Basically i narrowed it down to 3 possible solutions, all of them with the option for a water filter:

- VapCap
- Lotus (with J-Hook and adapter)
- Dreamwood DLX V2 pro

If i understand it right, the Lotus and Dreamwood would produce the best vapor and have better flow. One thing i'm not convinced about the Dreamwood is to inhale from the flame itself; isn't it better to not inhale (from) a butane flame :hmm:
Of these, i'm leaning towards the Lotus with the J-Hook (it's cheaper and to me looks better than the long aluminum pipe).
Thanks; i'm getting a much better idea from all the suggestions.
Lemming

Lemming,

GoldenBud

Of these, i'm leaning towards the Lotus with the J-Hook (it's cheaper and to me looks better than the long aluminum pipe).
it's your best option, yeah, you don't inhale co2/h2o from the products of the complete combustion of the butane, all the air is 100% clean. VapCap imho less good option because you basically lose terpenes taste, and the coughs are harder unfortunely in VapCap usage......
Dreamwood DLX you inhale co2/h2o from the combustion of the butane .....

and if you break the J-hook , you can purchase 3 J-hooks in 30$ from dhgate or something, so it will never be costy for you (the Lotus WPA is not breakable...)

GoldenBud,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ok, so i think an on demand is the way to go for me. I've also been loking around for places to get it in EU.
Basically i narrowed it down to 3 possible solutions, all of them with the option for a water filter:

- VapCap
- Lotus (with J-Hook and adapter)
- Dreamwood DLX V2 pro

If i understand it right, the Lotus and Dreamwood would produce the best vapor and have better flow. One thing i'm not convinced about the Dreamwood is to inhale from the flame itself; isn't it better to not inhale (from) a butane flame :hmm:
Thanks; i'm getting a much better idea from all the suggestions.
Lemming

Lotus is a good choice, great taste and efficiency, clean pure convection on demand, very durable and simple, once you get the technique down... Go with that I say!

Shit Snacks,

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
I don't know. Maybe (quite certainly) I'm biased by my onw experience, but I wouldn't suggest to a first timer a vape like the Lotus or the DLX Pro, where you need to "sense" the vapor, especially to avoid combustion.
I've had a few smoking friends trying for example my Milaana or my Glow and they kept pushing the fire button because they couldn't feel anything.
In my opinion, it is better to first get accustomed with vapor temperature and impact, which is very different from smoking a pipe, even with low amounts. A Vapcap could help in that aspect with a minimal investment, but if the OP wants to take the full convection route I'd suggest something like a Tinymight, P80, etc., even though those might be a little over the stated budget.

Lemming

I don't know. Maybe (quite certainly) I'm biased by my onw experience, but I wouldn't suggest to a first timer a vape like the Lotus or the DLX Pro, where you need to "sense" the vapor, especially to avoid combustion.
It's a good point but one i already took into consideration; i do have some experience with vapor, especially with a friend's volcano when he was still using it. The subtle, more aromathic flavor with no smoke is what i actually look forward to.
Also i'm willing and actually looking forward to learn how to use it properly and to my taste; that's how i normally like things: less automatic, some learning curve but also more flexibility. I'm still tweaking the way i brew all the different teas in my small collection and looking for a way to not look like a snob doing it.
And maybe it's just a way to justify that i'm not going to spend so much money for the better ones :lol:
Thanks,
Lemming

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Go with the lotus. Yeah it takes a little time to get a proper good feel for the device, but after a few bowls you'll be fine. It ticks all your boxes. You can even get it with a wpa if you want (I got it as a pack and tend to use 50:50 aluminum pipe vs wpa), as others have mentioned the j hook setup is great and helps practice as well. Good torch is important, I find that the ones with the sticky bricks have the best consistency for me

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Get a WS and leave it ticking over in the garage with the aromatherapy cup in to mask any other smells left behind after a quick convection hit or let the Dyna tip soak for 30 seconds on the heater for a little added conduction.
Then get a low temp Cap from Dynavap to use on Ed's stem for a portable away from home with a torch or IH ...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've had a few smoking friends trying for example my Milaana or my Glow and they kept pushing the fire button because they couldn't feel anything.
In my opinion, it is better to first get accustomed with vapor temperature and impact, which is very different from smoking a pipe, even with low amounts. A Vapcap could help in that aspect with a minimal investment, but if the OP wants to take the full convection route I'd suggest something like a Tinymight, P80, etc., even though those might be a little over the stated budget.

Yeah many times handing a vape to someone like that they can't use it, but also I've had just as many times handing it to them and they are in love... if someone is not used to any vape, it doesn't really matter what they start with really, my first vape was unregulated open loop manual on demand pure convection (thermovape t1) and I did fine with it! Just sets your standards high lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Top Bottom