• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Wiring a foot pedal momentary switch with three wires to an IH

flyin911

Use, Misuse, and Abuse!
i’ve got this foot pedal momentary switch i want to incorporate into one of my IH, but the third wire is throwing me off. everytime i seem to get my head wrapped around it another variable pops up. It has a common, NO, and NC, and i was thinking from looking at the diagram on the back of it that I should connect the white common wire and the black NC wires together, but in my cedar box mains unit i clipped the NC wire following the vapoven guide i think it was. i’ve got several units to choose from to put it on any help is appreciated

flyin911,

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
i’ve got this foot pedal momentary switch i want to incorporate into one of my IH, but the third wire is throwing me off. everytime i seem to get my head wrapped around it another variable pops up. It has a common, NO, and NC, and i was thinking from looking at the diagram on the back of it that I should connect the white common wire and the black NC wires together, but in my cedar box mains unit i clipped the NC wire following the vapoven guide i think it was. i’ve got several units to choose from to put it on any help is appreciated.

I think you may be overthinking this. I assume you want NO (normally open), so use the white & red wires. If in doubt check it with a multimeter. Connect the white wire to the positive power input and the red wire to the load, so when the switch is pressed it will supply power to the heater. Just like a light switch in your home.

Last edited:

flyin911

Use, Misuse, and Abuse!
I think you may be overthinking this. I assume you want NO (normally open), so use the white & red wires. If in doubt check it with a multimeter. Connect the white wire to the positive power input and the red wire to the load, so when the switch is pressed it will supply power to the heater. Just like a light switch in your home.
so wats the third wire there for? i know nothing about electricity and IH are the only things i’ve ever fuvked with

flyin911,

flyin911

Use, Misuse, and Abuse!
ima try that now, thanks fer the reply 🤘

flyin911,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Let me try to help explain the 3 wires.

The white one is marked COM or common. You want to use this connection.

The red is marked NO or as @Exsmoker says Normally Open. In other words, when the switch is not being pressed (normal state) the circuit is open and not connected. Press the switch and the circuit is connected.

The black USD marked NC or Normally Closed. This means the circuit is connected when the switch is not pressed, i.e. in its normal state.

NO and COM are most likely the ones to use but it depends on how the IH is designed. If you get it the wrong way around the IH will be active when the button is not pressed.

badbee

so wats the third wire there for? i know nothing about electricity and IH are the only things i’ve ever fuvked with
Switches like this one can be configured in one of two ways. Normally Open means the circuit is not connected until you hit the switch, Normally Closed means it is connected most of the time and disconnects when you hit the switch. You just pick one and ignore the other wire (wrap some electrical tape over it for safety). You want NO (I assume).

Top Bottom