Winegums' Woodcraft

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Do you just clean out your chamber with a pick over the hole and then press the ball to drop the material into the box?
That's the basic idea, I'm still thinking about incorporating a debowling tool in future versions but I'll have to do a bit of designing first.

I typically tap out my vapcap tips on the side of the funnel which usually works, if not I use my cap or a needle to clean it out.

Irish vaper

Hey guys, got a ABV box in d 420 sale and it amazing. :rockon: :rockon:

rm3DFux.jpg

baofPWV.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've made a bit more progress on two custom orders. One half of the first order is the 18mm/14mm stem and the other half is a fancy triple bay case with laminated Black Walnut and Figured Maple.
50hUfIq.jpg

The other order I'm working on is an exotic tapered square stem designed by @phattpiggie and built from wood supplied by the customer. I normally don't like to duplicate another artist's work but felt that in this case the design is close enough to pieces I've done myself, also I have nothing but respect for piggie's work. Thus far things are going smoothly and the initial blank is beautiful already.

z1eo4TZ.jpg

3tpJUZa.jpg

D86rJ3m.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'm on the final stretch with this long stem. I spent this morning grinding in the tapers. I first started with two opposed sides and scribed lines that I could work up to. I need to round the corners and taper the mouthpiece a bit more.

9GIkxOH.jpg

s73yDpb.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@Winegums it's great seeing how you go about it.
I decided not to lathe the taper then grind and opted to grind from start to finish. It ended up being less frustrating this way, I just chilled out to some Blink-182 and took my time.

Here's the stem all finished, the pictures definitely do not do it justice and they cannot convey the density that the piece has when it is handled.
yeOcyoN.jpg

kJWF9K5.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'll be gone to Cali until the 20th and once I'm back I'll be able to start making things again. Doing home renovations has really eaten up my time and taken longer than expected. I'm sorry for those who have orders with me that I wasn't able to complete before I leave. I intend to dive into the work as soon as I can as I will be eager to get things done after my trip.

Those interested in my work may want to keep up to date with this thread as I will be mainly posting all of it here now. After recent events I don't feel much like posting in the Dynavap thread and am finding it harder to come up with the energy to make new accessories for their vapes. I feel like I should take a step away and look at other options.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I'll be gone to Cali until the 20th and once I'm back I'll be able to start making things again. Doing home renovations has really eaten up my time and taken longer than expected. I'm sorry for those who have orders with me that I wasn't able to complete before I leave. I intend to dive into the work as soon as I can as I will be eager to get things done after my trip.

Those interested in my work may want to keep up to date with this thread as I will be mainly posting all of it here now. After recent events I don't feel much like posting in the Dynavap thread and am finding it harder to come up with the energy to make new accessories for their vapes. I feel like I should take a step away and look at other options.

No problems...completely understandable...take the time you need! You have tremendous skills for a young man your age....I've every faith you'll go wherever you want in this life...right after you make me a few more long-stems! :rofl:

Have a great trip!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
No problems...completely understandable...take the time you need! You have tremendous skills for a young man your age....I've every faith you'll go wherever you want in this life...right after you make me a few more long-stems! :rofl:

Have a great trip!

Who knows where I’ll go? If woodworking and vapourizer accessories aren’t a realm where I can thrive then , I’m considering going into garden design as I also enjoy working with plants. It’s been quite tough to have a job as someone who makes for a niche market. Sales are infrequent, and the work is difficult at times.

I have begun to feel as though my designs and creativity aren’t desired as much? I do not do what I do for money but rather the creative release that it gives me. Replicating designs that other makers have made doesn’t satisfy that need. It also puts me in an awkward place where I feel like I’m a human copying machine. These requests have become more and more frequent which really has had a damping effect on my creativity as of late. I do not mean any offence to you or anyone for wanting these designs as they are beautiful but they are not from my mind.

My physical abilities are something I developed to support my creativity and designing. Even as a small child I wanted to make the things I dreamed up in my head a physical realisation. My creativity is what drives me to be a maker. I realized a few years ago that I’m always happiest and most content in life when I have finished producing one of my designs. When ever I stop being creative depression sinks in and the drive to make things dies.

I’m not sure if this is how other artists work, but I must excersize my creativity or it becomes anxiety monster that consumes me.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Winegums, I'm so sorry for you. That's a real so called creative crisis. Fuck it! Feeling as a copy cat isn't very amusing. But don't despair you are a really fine and creative woodworker with own very nice ideas! :myday:

I for myself for example would like to order two devices at your shop but am still waiting for darker, more vivid woods as I've told you before. Your stash cases and your abv box with closable knob are really awesome constructions. IMO the spalted marple is your most interesting wood for that up to now. But am still waiting for some local burls or something like that.

And don't be fixated on VC accessories only. There is a lot of need for accessories for other vapes.
Examples? A nice stable stand for the Mighty from S&B. A stand for the heater of the Glass Symphony. Just two things which are immediately passing through my mind when I'm remembering what people are often looking for.

Perhaps you should do some brainstorming for needed parts?

I believe there are a lot of potential customers out there who go along with me.

Cheer up! ;)

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I for myself for example would like to order two devices at your shop but am still waiting for darker, more vivid woods as I've told you before. Your stash cases and your abv box with closable knob are really awesome constructions. IMO the spalted marple is your most interesting wood for that up to now. But am still waiting for some local burls or something like that.
I have been looking for darker woods but there is not much that isn’t exotic and the trouble with burl is that it is fragile and full of hidden cracks.

I would love to work with figured black walnut if I can get my hands on it.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'm not quite sure why imgur pictures aren't working but here's what I've been up to after getting my shop cleaned up.

I had to develop a new tool in order to make a double ended stem for a customer which will also help me when I'm making longer stems. This gives me a good way to drive the piece without causing any marks on the ends. I used a hand file to cut the teeth in a short piece of brass I had laying around.
https://i.imgur.com/kdh1Qnr.jpg
kdh1Qnr.jpg

This is what I salvaged out of an otherwise failed piece. It has some marks and spots that I'm not happy with but it may make its way to my store front as a B grade item.
https://i.imgur.com/S8jWaBd.jpg
S8jWaBd.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
If at first you fail, fail some more, learn a few lessons and finally complete your goal. It's been far more difficult to make a double ended long stem than I thought. I made quite a few errors with my order of operations and tooling but I've now got it all figured out.

I'm finally done home renovations and can really dive back into my woodworking which I'm happy to do.

lFZ0Qmj.jpg

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Just caught up with the last set of posts.

I hear ya @Winegums, gotta enjoy the process. If not then the process has to change. I agree with @Hogni, nothing wrong with branching out from Vapcap accessories.

Garden design sounds cool as well. I hear a new market is in town :brow: maybe grow room design would fun to try out :D

Just an FYI, I went out with friends last week and my @Winegums custom stem with stash box was my weapon of choice. Got to use on a very crowded green surrounded by pubs with no issues at all. :tup:

My combusting pal (no not him on fire, just his tobacco and cannabis) had to wait until we moved to a less bait location before he got to destroy/smoke his stash.

Fuck combustion :rockon:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Hey guys I've switched my Store name to Chickadee and Oak as I needed something that wasn't related to another product. Winegums is a candy type and finding my Etsy and wood working was hard with search engines due to this. With this store front change I'll also be offering a wider range of products that include more general purpose or non-vaping specific wood products and crafts.

Last edited:

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I purchased a very nice looking custom XL Vapecase.

I am a terrible photographer and have an old smartphone. I'm sorry Winegums my pictures aren't going to do it justice.

This case has three compartments. It will hold a lighter, a dynavap, and a vial with your material.
Winegums sent me two extra vials for when I break the first one. Nice touch, I wouldn't have known where to get them. I also got a nice had written note that smelled "musty and damp, and a little sweet, as if it were haunted by the ghosts of long-dead cookies". I like it when the maker includes a little something personal like that. Sometimes its the little things that excite us.

vsdix5.jpg
np262u.jpg

oi5g6g.jpg

24yvjvo.jpg

2nukfes.jpg

5plzdl.jpg

2qs3shu.jpg

Everything I planned to put in this case fits well. The doors to the compartments open well. The magnets that keep the doors closed are of good strength. It has a nice feel to it. This is a case that would go good in a purse or personal tote. It would not be something you'd put in a pocket. It is elegant and unique something I am always looking for in this accessory market.

As a designer by trade I always look at things with an eye of, next time I have one made what would I improve? I like many things about this item. The only adjustment that would jump out at me for a future case purchase would be that I'd want a magnet in the top to pull off my vapcap like his other vapecases have. It was not something I caught in my initial viewing of the product prior to shipment so my bad. At this premium price point you'd want this case to have it all so it would be something I'd request in a future case.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I purchased this beautiful custom stem. It was a fun process. Winegums helped to steer me away from bad wood choices and came up with something quite nice.

I hadn't planned it that way but I think it looks good with my Ed's TNT log.

f13j4.jpg

343t3dt.jpg

k3p77.jpg

2yphrpl.jpg

24gvalz.jpg

It is pictured above with a previous Wingums stem.

They both will fit 14mm and 18mm. They are reversible! Both stems have a brass tube down the center.

The custom one I had purchased to use with Omni XL guts. While the omni xl guts fit in my old winegums stem they will not fit in the new one. I put some bomb ass butter on it to see if that would help, nope. The above picture is as far as I can push it in with all my might. I think I could maybe hammer it in but I think they would be forever stuck together. I will try it again in a week after the item has gotten used to this desert environment, maybe there will be a fitment change at that point.

It does work with the standard XL condenser and O-rings. I will use it that way and the omni guts will stay with the older stem.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I also got a nice had written note that smelled "musty and damp, and a little sweet, as if it were haunted by the ghosts of long-dead cookies". I like it when the maker includes a little something personal like that. Sometimes its the little things that excite us.
I enjoy writing the notes as they make it a more human experience in this age of electronically produced packing slips and pre-made thank you cards. I also love my fountain pens and will use any chance I can get to write with them.

I have no idea why the note would be Musty and damp? Must have sat in the delivery truck for a while.

As a designer by trade I always look at things with an eye of, next time I have one made what would I improve? I like many things about this item. The only adjustment that would jump out at me for a future case purchase would be that I'd want a magnet in the top to pull off my vapcap like his other vapecases have. It was not something I caught in my initial viewing of the product prior to shipment so my bad. At this premium price point you'd want this case to have it all so it would be something I'd request in a future case.
:doh: Thank you for the feed back, I honestly forgot to put the magnet in the case. I had planned to place it in the side of the case since it acts as a better stand for the vapcap but it slipped my mind after I had the case assembled. In the cases where I've placed it on the top it makes for a precarious setup that wants to topple over. I'm going redesign this feature of the cases as I am not happy with the way I have done the cap magnets so far.

While it's not as convenient or a perfect solution, the magnets for the bay doors are strong enough to pull off a cap when it's adjusted right. The poles of the magnets form a nice loop through the Bimetallic discs that makes them stronger together than one would expect.

The custom one I had purchased to use with Omni XL guts. While the omni xl guts fit in my old winegums stem they will not fit in the new one. I put some bomb ass butter on it to see if that would help, nope. The above picture is as far as I can push it in with all my might. I think I could maybe hammer it in but I think they would be forever stuck together. I will try it again in a week after the item has gotten used to this desert environment, maybe there will be a fitment change at that point.

It does work with the standard XL condenser and O-rings. I will use it that way and the omni guts will stay with the older stem.
That's very strange that both my Omni will fit inside just fine but yours will not? :hmm: I try hard to make sure the fitment of the inner diameter will accept all Dynavap parts but it seems like their tolerances are looser than I would hope. The fitment seems to wander from 8.05mm to 7.9mm, my older omni is exactly 8mm where my new one is slightly smaller.

I would love to have go and no go gauges but I'm not even sure that they would help me. There's no apparent pattern that the fitment follows even with the same generation of tips or condensers. I think @DDave also was running into this and has been asking questions before he sends his items out so that the customer has a better chance at a good fit.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've been busy in the shop making some stems yesterday and today. They will be going up tomorrow around noon. I salvaged some Mahogany dowels from an old table that was getting thrown away which was a nice find. Salvaging is a great ethical way to obtain exotics or foreign woods if you know what to look for.

The photo credit goes to my wife who has taken over the marketing side of the business.
25kugow.jpg

Top Bottom