Will we ever see a portable ball vape?

RedZep

As in using balls for extra heat mass and retention.

Is there any reason this would not be possible? Does anyone know if any are being worked on currently?

RedZep,

Farid

I've seen people use balls with direct inhale butane, similar to a vaporgenie.

Then there's invertedisdead's sand castle which is also butane powered.

Finally there's the discontinued vape that the vape critic made, the g43, but I'm not sure if the balls are used to store heat in the same way, or if it's more for heat diffusion.

The issue I see with any high mass heater in a portable is that it is a huge energy drain. If you want a portable that has good battery life, that's not ideal. Likewise if you have a butane vape, high mass means a longer heatup time, more butane consumption, and sometimes requires a larger torch.

The long heatup and larger torch might not be an issue for a portable that you don't take out and about, but it doesn't work for the pocketable.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
High Mass and heat retention are generally undesirable features in an electric portable.

Also most ball vapes don’t heat evenly enough to work well without a heat soak to first reach an equilibrium.

With butane power like my vapor wand, the energy density is worlds higher than lithium batteries so it can overcome the lag of a high mass design.

RedZep

I've seen people use balls with direct inhale butane, similar to a vaporgenie.

Then there's invertedisdead's sand castle which is also butane powered.

Finally there's the discontinued vape that the vape critic made, the g43, but I'm not sure if the balls are used to store heat in the same way, or if it's more for heat diffusion.

The issue I see with any high mass heater in a portable is that it is a huge energy drain. If you want a portable that has good battery life, that's not ideal. Likewise if you have a butane vape, high mass means a longer heatup time, more butane consumption, and sometimes requires a larger torch.

The long heatup and larger torch might not be an issue for a portable that you don't take out and about, but it doesn't work for the pocketable.
Thanks. This pretty much wraps it up. I was only thinking about the efficiency of ball vapes once heat soaked. Makes sense.

badbee

The G43 was technically a portable electric ball vape, but only technically. It required a glass piece with an 18mm female and it can't be safely moved until it's been given a good 15 minutes to cool off. As others said, high heat storage and portability don't get along well.

Texus

Yeah, Zenith and Angus are gonna change that situation real soon. Due to power requirements, glad Angus has swappable 16500s. And conceivably you could have multiple box mods for more portable life for Zenith

Texus,

Texus

I wouldn't really consider Angus a ball vape, it is a halogen vape with balls on the top of the halogen so it's part of it but not really the base I think? Symantics
Honestly not too familiar with design. But like my Halo enough to be psyched about that type of hit in a portable

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Honestly not too familiar with design. But like my Halo enough to be psyched about that type of hit in a portable

Yeah I don't really consider the halo a ball vape either, but to be fair it does have rubies, a different design otherwise too, like it also has steel mesh in its heater... I do think halogen seems to be very effective in general (that is how I classify the two) :tup:

Texus

Yeah I don't really consider the halo a ball vape either, but to be fair it does have rubies, a different design otherwise too, like it also has steel mesh in its heater... I do think halogen seems to be very effective in general (that is how I classify the two) :tup:
Looks like you are going to need to define what counts as a ball vape then if it isn't a basic definition along the lines of "a vape in which the heating element is supplemented by heating balls of suitable materials to enhance the vape's heating properties."

Texus,
Reactions: Arawfish

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Looks like you are going to need to define what counts as a ball vape then if it isn't a basic definition along the lines of "a vape in which the heating element is supplemented by heating balls of suitable materials to enhance the vape's heating properties."

Sure, I think it's when the heating element is not only supplemented, but completely driven by them, that's why I don't think halogen counts personally, it is the bulb that is the driver not really the balls (ball vapes have much more balls, more than enhance)

GoldenBud

beads tend to reduce the airflow and they need a lot of time/energy in terms of battery life... seems like it will never be a good call in a portable.... unless cases like Powerbank is available to the user / vape of 2x 18650 or so....with long preheat

just spent a little time thinking about it, Glass Symphony XLR had a huge air inlet.... something that will never be possible in a portable, still remember how it hits, so hard

CouchLog/Zenith, these vapes are somewhere between beaded ELEV8R and the GS.... if powerbank available, it can be used as a portable...

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
that's true, the FLAM (Lamart) vaporizer was hitting very well. huge clouds if the preheat was
True dat, just not a stand alone vape. You need adds on for that, j hook, bong, etc. It's more like a butane ball injector head. I wouldn't classified it as a ball driven portable, but hey, just :2c:

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: GoldenBud
Top Bottom