Wife's Birthday tomorrow VOS, Eclipse Vape, or ...

matthend

It is the wifey's birthday tomorrow and I found a new headshop down the street from my house. We had an SSV and both loved it, but unfortunately it was stolen. I was thinking of getting her either the eclipse or the vape-or-smoke. She has never been a pipe person when smoking, doesnt like the taste, but a portable vape should eliminate that. With the eclipse, how long is the heatup time with either a bic or a torch type lighter? as far as ease of use, the VOS seems great. They also had a Viva La Vape Riot that interested me as it is whip based (monster clouds) and has what seems to be very precise temp control on it. The temp control was the only issue with the ssv, we ended up with a few marks that we made for sweet spots for the temp knob. Does anyone have any experience with these and can help a poor indecisive husband out? The headshop also has the predator, which it touted as the best there is...

matthend,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Lucky wifey! Or lucky you having a wife that would accept a vape as a present! I'd be crucified!

They're all pretty different, the models you mention. What do you guys want form a vape; Portable or home unit? Vaping bud or hash or concentrates?

And are you just going to buy from your local shop, or will she mind waiting a few days for a delivery if you order online? You'd have more choice and better deals.

I wouldn't recommend the Viva La Vape myself- they're cheaper generic vapes you can get off Ali Baba. That said I've never tried one, so can't comment based on experience. They might be great vapes, but I'm not going to take the gamble. I doubt that the temp control is quite as precise as it appears though.

I have the Eclipse. Heat up time is very quick- a matter of seconds really, especially with a torch, but it's only really good for concentrates. Can't recommend it for herbal vaping, but if you guys get lots of concentrates it's a fine choice :D

Check out the Vape or Smoke thread. I've decided not to buy one myself based upon that feedback, although again for concentrates some guys seem to speak highly of it.

Never used a Predator either, but really not confident that it IS the best there is.... :lol: My partner just came in looked over my shoulder as I was looking at it and said that she thought it looked like quite an attractive looking stylish vape for a woman!??? (strange tastes) So there you go (although she did emphasise that it shouldn't be her next present :/ )

WatTyler,

matthend

best wife i could ask for!!!

The headshop has the ones i mentioned in stock, which is a bonus as I could go get it today. We vape bud pretty much exclusively though. I have read the VOS thread, and it seems iffy as far as getting your heat right. I may get her a portable for her birthday and order the predator soon from amazon for the house (it is only $125 compared to $200 for a replacement SSV) Thanks for the response, it is helping...

matthend,

max

Out to lunch
I haven't tried an Eclipse, but it seems aimed more at concentrates than bud. The VOS I do not like. The Predator is not one I'd choose ("which it touted as the best there is"- not hardly), vs. the competition, but if $ is an issue, $125 is a hard to beat price, especially at a headshop. You could get a MFLB AND a home whip vape at those prices, for less than just an SSV. If you're able to buy online though, a DBV can be had for not much more than the Predator at Amazon. Don't forget to check our Retailer discussion thread with FC discount codes.

max,

matthend

the predator is 125 at amazon and 250 at the headshop. I can find the MFLB locally for $125, but I am not sure if I like the proprietary battery or the price... is the mflb that much better for a portable option?

matthend,

mob

mmj over bs
This reminds me of the time Homer bought Marge a bowling ball for her birthday :p are we sure this is for her?
I literally just got my MagickWand about an hour ago I honestly can not believe how fat the hits I'am getting I kept looking at the the bowl thinking I was combusting, but after 3 hits the bowl wasn't charred one bit. This was with the wpa. I'll post a review for the MW after I really get some use out of it. For now I would say its well worth looking into.

mob,

max

Out to lunch
The Predator at $250 would be a big no for me. The DBV may be the most popular whip model these days, and you can find some pretty good deals on eBay and with FC discounts for around $150-160. The V-Tower (Extreme without bag fill and remote) can be had for about $100. It's not quite up to par with the DBV for thick hits, but it's the only decent digital model anywhere near this price range.

As for the LB, it doesn't use proprietary bats. You can use any NiMH bats rated at 2000 mAh or higher. Price wise, you can't beat a $100 vape with an unconditional lifetime warranty. And $100 is about right I think if you'll contact a couple of our recommended dealers for a price quote. Most people would certainly agree that it's a better portable than the two you mention, at least for vaping bud.

max,

matthend

so comparing the two portables, the LB is twice as good as the eclipse? And yes, the wife is honestly elated about getting a vape for her Bday. I think I will do a portable right now and get a whip for home. Most likely the SSV, but I will look around (I dont think anything delivers hits like the ssv period)

matthend,

mob

mmj over bs
matthend said:
so comparing the two portables, the LB is twice as good as the eclipse? And yes, the wife is honestly elated about getting a vape for her Bday. I think I will do a portable right now and get a whip for home. Most likely the SSV, but I will look around (I dont think anything delivers hits like the ssv period)

As for a portable I'd go with the MFLB but if you've never used one please understand the hits are nothing compared to a ssv.

mob,

weedemon

enthusiast
for a portable vape :

for buds i recommend the mflb.

for concentrates and hash I like my eclipse. (unless i am at home then it's ssv all the way again :))

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

I agree portable vape wise

best for herb is the MFLB and best for concentrates is the Eclipse.

If you want a whip type vape, they best on the market are the DBV and the SSV. DO NOT get some shitty whip vape like the predator( just thinking about it is :puke:)

Nycdeisel,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
mob said:
As for a portable I'd go with the MFLB but if you've never used one please understand the hits are nothing compared to a ssv.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but it strikes me as too vague to be helpful. For one thing, someone could take it to mean that the MFLB doesn't work nearly as well as the SSV. I think the evidence against that is pretty overwhelming.

Maybe you meant that the SSV delivers big heavy hits that the LB isn't capable of, since that's the most common criticism. As I have said elsewhere, if you can't get clouds out of your LB then you just haven't learned the right technique.

The LB doesn't work the same way as the SSV, but if that's what you meant you didn't express it well. If you're like me and don't like heavy hits and prefer not to stretch out your stash a bit, the LB is great.

pakalolo,

weedemon

enthusiast
I think the main difference between the mflb and the ssv are:

SSV: Huge hitter, NOT stealth. Awesome vape :D

mflb: smaller hits that require a bit of time to get used to. I like to tell people who have never used it yet, to take tiny tiny hits. Use the smallest draw speed you can manage while remaining comfortable. this ensures you are actually vapin. most people who suck too hard and are telling me the box sucks because they have the temperature far to low by hitting hard...

there is a bit of a learning curve on the mflb, but it's worth it once you know how to use it!

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

You meant prefer TO stretch out your stash right?

In my experience and opinion, the LB is the most efficient vaporizer. I think this is true because not only can you load a small amount and get hits of different degrees of temperature, but you are taking smaller hits compared to a lot of other vapes, which makes it easier for you to absorb more and exhale less.

I agree though, the MFLB is def not supposed to do what the SSV can do, they are very different types of vaporizers.

Nycdeisel,

weedemon

enthusiast
it's pretty amazing the flavour you get the first time you use the mflb if you do it correctly. I think it might be the most tasty vaporizer I have used to date!

SSV has fantastic flavour on the first hoot, then good flavour for the next 2-6 hoots. after that is is really diminished. I love my DDV and it's my daily driver. flavour diminishes in the mflb too, but i think it truly is the one that gives me the best flavour experience.

the mflb will also help stretch your stash compared to the ssv you were used to. I'd say about 1/3 as much as you would load into your ssv is how much you will use in the mflb per trench. i consider myself a seasoned consumer and i definitely have a tolerance compared to my friends. but if i am going from totally sober, 1 trench and i am already feeling it. 2 or 3 more and i am fuct :p (this amount consumed by myself) I usually only do 1-2 trench and then just repeat as necessary.

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

Yes, the flavor I get from the LB is different than that of any other vape I have, with the same strain to compare accurately of course.

I find better taste from my SV then I had from my DBV(both used with similar water pieces), just my :2c:

Nycdeisel,

nr-cole

matthend said:

The DBV is almost identical to the SSV with the only difference being that it is assembled in China whereas the SSV is assembled in the US. Good way to save a few bucks.

nr-cole,

matthend

Well we decided bypass the immediate gratification of the local head shop, and I am going with the LB and most likely a replacement SSV (I think I found a great deal on one :D:D) If this deal on the SSV falls through, how does the Arizer 4.0 Extreme Q compare to the SSV? I also found a package deal on that and a LB for about $250. Thanks for the advice folks, this is helping a lot.

matthend,

matthend

btw, is the general consensus that I would be better served with the LB than the Iolite?

matthend,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Most guys on here will say MFLB I reckon, it wins on many criteria (esp. reliability), so prepare for the barrage. There are times though when I choose my Iolite over my LB- it's much better for me when doing an activity- mainly when I'm fishing or on long car journeys and don't want to concentrate on vaping; battery pushing, sipping and trench tossing. I can just puff away hassle free on my Iolite with a whip tubing attachment for about half an hour, no thinking needed. Not something that can really be done with the MFLB. But it all depends on how you want to use your vape as to whether that's an advantage.

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
matthend said:
btw, is the general consensus that I would be better served with the LB than the Iolite?
some will probably say otherwise but i think the vast majority would agree with that statement.

imo: mflb > iolite

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

I agree, people who think the Iolite is better probably have not tried the MFLB :)

Nycdeisel,

matthend

that was my assumption about the mflb, anyone want to chime on on the extreme q vs ssv?
thanks again

matthend,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Nycdeisel said:
I agree, people who think the Iolite is better probably have not tried the MFLB :)
Not to get OT, but it's not quite that black and white IMO. LB isn't for every situation at all. As well as for vaping whilst otherwise busy, I'd say Iolite is better also for parties/groups than the LB though- less learning curve for new users and battery consumption could be an issue for big groups. :2c:

Don't know about the EQ myself, except what can be read online. Love my surfer, but you know that's a good vape already. Less to go wrong than the more complex EQ electrics, maybe? And cleaner airpath, if that's a consideration for you.

WatTyler,
Top Bottom