Who Else Has a Problem With Their Pet's Vomeronasal Organ (VNO)?

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
The Jacobson's organ allows animals to smell what you are feeling, or your pheromone signature changes in response to what you are feeling - anyway, I've become convinced that my cat can smell what i'm feeling, and won't come near me when I'm in ADHD mode, or disconnected emotionally, no matter how technically proficient my petting is, it does not hold her attention or get her worked into a trance unless I am expressing dopamine.

I finally figured out why my cat runs away or comes to me - she's a dopamine snob! Okay, it turns out cats and other animals have this Jacobson's organ that clues them into what you're experiencing, so if you come at a cat expecting the experience of petting it to uplift your spirits, the cat has another idea, the cat wants you to get you head in the right place first, get the love juices flowing, then approach it.

I've been so focused on building my home computer lab I haven't been expressing dopamine much, so she's been staying away, and when she does come I'm having a hard time (you know, the divorce may have something to do with this too). never mind.

I learned about the Jacobson's organ watching canadian tv show "Regenesis" but later learned I could get the cat to come by doing my dopamine meditation and blowing in her direction - she'd come running and stayed much longer than before, as long as I could keep it up, so to speak.

VWFringe,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Cats use the Jacobson's organ to smell things more deeply, and our cats use theirs all the time. If any of us are in a bad mood, they stay away, but that's the only mood they avoid. My daughter has ADHD, but her cat never avoids her. Cats are hard to understand a lot of times, but I still love them.

Vicki,
Reactions: t-dub

hanfhead

is high
This is also how a snake smells. It samples the air with its tongue and brings it back in and inserts the tips of the forks into the jacobson's organ, which are holes in the roof of its mouth. I was not aware other animals besides reptiles even had them. Interesting.

hanfhead,
Reactions: Vicki

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
If a cat yawns you can see them in the roof of their mouth, they look like large freckles or dark spots. I also love cats, but particularly males. I find they are more relaxed and social.

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki
Top Bottom