White residue in Wand Hash

Valheru

<420.exe>
So, this is my 3rd time making some wand hash. First time I made it with 2 stems from my Solo, and everything went off without a hitch. I poured some iso in a pyrex pie dish, and soaked my stems in that, then let it evap, then scraped. Voila.

The next time, I did very similar, except I put the stem and ISO in a ziplock bag and let it set for a couple hours. Then I poured it on the same pie dish, and when it evaporated it left me with a milky white puddle on top of it all. The oil/hash dried to the plate, and the milk white residue was left on top. I smelled it, and it didn't smell like anything, so I poured it off and scraped upthe hash. Was bomb.

Now, I'm doing it again, in a ziploc bag with my LSV wand, and milk white spots are forming around the perimeter of the evaporating iso/hash mix. I'm using 91% ISO. I'm thinking maybe it's just the 9% water that's left over, but why is it white? My real concern is that the ISO is pulling something outta the ziploc bag and THAT's what I'm seeing. Has anyone else ran across this? What should I do?

Valheru,

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Just spread it out a little thinner and let it evaporate a bit longer....

SSVUN~YAH,
Reactions: Valheru

OO

Technical Skeptical
Not likely from the ziplock bag, more likely salts or other impurities. More information is necessary to make a somewhat educated guess however.

OO,

Valheru

<420.exe>
well I left it for a long time, and now it's just a bunch of white milk liquid. I checked that link that ol dude posted earlier, and they had like a white chalk dry substance. This is actually like milk. I understand you may need more info to help diagnose. Just lemme know what you need. I'll run down everything I used, 1 ziploc huge freezer bag, 91% Isopropyl alcohol, LSV Wand, Pyrex dish, Air. If I'm missing an important detail, please enlighten me, because I obviously am missing something.

I mixed the white shit with the alcohol mixture, and It's like I said, just a milky white substance that has separated from the wand hash.

Valheru,

gvape

From my experience I get this when I do reclaims from my Oil Water Pieces. I believe it has to do with water & iso being mixed together. Whenever my iso mixture is drying out I almost always get milky puddles at the end. If you let it sit long enough that will evaporate too.

Again I could be wrong, but this is my educated guess.

irishroots8477

dont worry man i've had it happen to me before. idk why it happens, might be tiny particles of organic material.

i think you're letting it sit too long in the iso.. the way i learned was to shake, shake in a jar for about 45s-1 minute then strain and evaporate, even that way there was some milky residue sometimes

irishroots8477,

OF

Here's a novel idea, do the same thing with no wand? No reclaim at all. Just the baggie and ISO.

If it's something to do with the baggie (which I think is the case.....) you'll get the same white stuff, right?

OF

Valheru

<420.exe>
Ok, so I just let the white stuff evaporate. This is my scrape

scrape_zpsba2658b4.jpg

I scraped it all together and made a nice ball. Took a little chunk and vaped it with some Girl Scout Cookies with my LSV and got BLITZED! Couldn't even finish the bowl, it was still very light colored.

I think I'm gonna try the idea suggested by OF and see if it's the bags. I actually think I'm letting it sit too long. My second wand hash that I made actually sat in a baggy with ISO and my Solo stem for like 5 days (the first five days I had my LSV lol). And this one sat in the solution overnight, so maybe it's a combination of sitting too long in the plastic bag, but all I can say is it doesn't seem to be a problem as this goo gets me goo'd.

robwars

It's from the water in the ISO, get it all the time. No worries.
Batch from this morning -
robwars-albums-setup-picture208242-img-1823.jpg

Sorry not wand hash.... But ISO and THC non the less :spliff:

robwars,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I still think that even if using the bag and alcohol alone produces the white stuff that it isn't bag related, ISO that you buy isn't pure, and can have residual hydrocarbons in it depending on the source, and these can precipitate out as a white waxy substance (paraffins). You can also get water soluble salts coming out of the polar portion of the solvent/water mixture, which would give a solid residue, versus a residue that was between solid and liquid.

The polymers in the bag are very stable to these kinds of solvents, likely a similar polymer to the bottle you bought the ISO in (I'll leave you to check that).

OO,

Valheru

<420.exe>
Yeah, the bottle it's in is plastic, and I was using freakin name brand Zip loc bags lol. I think it's the generic 91% ISO I got at Walgreens. It was weird, whenever it was evaporating, there were small puddles around the edges that were milk white, and when i disturbed the plate and made it wave around, it'd seep into the ISO mixture again, but you'd see the traces of where it was melting in, like marble. I just mixed it all up. Still really awesome stuff though. It doesn't even smell like ganja, it smells like tea. Like pure tea.

Top Bottom