Which vape - Dynavap/XMax/510 ?

boomhill

Greetings FC members!
Before getting into my question that includes 3 completely different systems, let me explain my requirements.
I’m a weekend toker who’s looking for my first vaping device to avoid combustion for slightly healthier consumption. I’ve been vaping nicotine liquids for few years now and have a couple of mods and RTAs and well versed with building coils and stuff. Unfortunately I live in a non weed friendly region that also limits my access to purchasing various devices. What I’m looking for my first vape:
1. Prefer to be able to vape flower or hash.
2. Not bothered about flavor (shouldn’t taste like shit but fine if tasteless) or cloud production.
3. Should be somewhat efficient. Coming from smoking I suppose any vape would be better in this regard.
4. Preferably easy to use. The Mrs and I have sessions together on weekends and she wouldn’t appreciate extra efforts for relaxing.
5. If battery powered it needs to use replaceable 18650.

From what I have researched so far, my first preference would be a 510 tank like Dreamwood Glow RCV18 (can manage to source) or Stempod SI (Not sure if I can get it delivered). Can look for other considerations and check if I am able to get them. I am unsure how well these work with hash.
Advantages: Cheapest, Easily slap on my existing mods
Disadvantages: Moderately difficult to use (puffing/getting herbs to heat before drawing pulls), any other?

Xmax V3 Pro - I can easily purchase one of these, however at like twice the price of a Dreamwood. That kinda takes the vfm part out. Some others like Tinymight, Arizer are available but way too expensive so disregarding them.
Advantages: Easiest to use
Disadvantages: Price, more prone to failure considering others are simpler devices.

Dynavap - Like the XMax, Dynaverse items easily available to me, but at more reasonable prices. However if I add IH the cost baloons up by a lot. And I’m not sure how cumbersome using a torch will get.
Advantages: Better hit?
Disadvantages: Difficult to use, Most expensive if adding IH.

What do you think I should get? Like I mentioned I would prefer a 510 tank as it seems relatively easy to use while being cheap. The Xmax has some really nice features making it the easiest to use so if it has better quality vape than a 510 tank, I don’t mind spending the extra cash. Only concern would be long term reliability as the other 2 would surely outlast it. Finally with the Dynavap, I’m not seeing a big reason to choose unless I missed something.

boomhill

Welcome to FC! Sounds like you've done quite a bit of research, I do think that Glow could handle what you need out of it particularly if you are patient with it...?
Yes. How would a Glow do with hash? Also one thing I missed out on is that I don’t get the greatest quality weed, so possibly will need slightly higher temps to extract the best out of it. I would be using wattage mode on my mods, so would 40-50w be sufficient?

PeteyS

I have a love/hate relationship with my Dynavap. I find its effiecint, and hard hitting, but hard to get consistent results. For example using it for lower temp extraction is difficult.
You also need to use a torch with it, and thats one of the major issues i have. Torches are for most part garbage quality resulting in a poorer overall experience at times, and they need to be refuelled with butane every other day if your a average toker. Also, my "mrs" will not use the dynavap at all.

I would go for a x max V3 for your desires. Its almost too good of a vape for the price. Full convection, electric, hard hitting, glowing reviews, but made in China.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
A 510 in wattage mode is going to require some getting used to - draw speed and length, feathering the button so you hopefully don't combust (yuck). Yes, they can be awesome vapes (I do use a Splinter sometimes) but my wife could never use a vape with that much learning curve.

The V3Pro would make a great choice, they seem to be holding up well, should last a long time as a weekender. Don't know about hash in it, maybe wrapping it in some flower or hemp fiber or something...

Depending on where you can get things from, POTV (US and Canada) have released a special edition V3Pro that includes a glass mouthpiece and bigger capacity battery.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Echoing some others, a 510 without tcr is quite the learning curve. I actually find the dynavap extremely consistent and simple with a torch, but it’s not a vape I reach for to temp step so consistently getting low temp extractions with it isn’t an issue for me. Not trying to yuck anyone’s yum and I know it’s doable, but it seems like a less-than-ideal vape if you value those things as opposed to respecting the click and going as dark as that gets you.

If you or your wife can’t stand torches the v3 pro is great for the price and where I’d otherwise start. The dyna is just a little more consistent at delivering even extractions and great clouds. It’s also a “buy it for life” purchase, which I appreciate.

GoldenBud

tinymight 1/2
70w 18 air intake holes are the real thing
510 scene is going to die, you can't get tubomyevic mods anymore :(

GoldenBud,
  • Sad
Reactions: XpeeN

AlphaDeltaF1

Greetings FC members!
Before getting into my question that includes 3 completely different systems, let me explain my requirements.
I’m a weekend toker who’s looking for my first vaping device to avoid combustion for slightly healthier consumption. I’ve been vaping nicotine liquids for few years now and have a couple of mods and RTAs and well versed with building coils and stuff. Unfortunately I live in a non weed friendly region that also limits my access to purchasing various devices. What I’m looking for my first vape:
1. Prefer to be able to vape flower or hash.
2. Not bothered about flavor (shouldn’t taste like shit but fine if tasteless) or cloud production.
3. Should be somewhat efficient. Coming from smoking I suppose any vape would be better in this regard.
4. Preferably easy to use. The Mrs and I have sessions together on weekends and she wouldn’t appreciate extra efforts for relaxing.
5. If battery powered it needs to use replaceable 18650.

From what I have researched so far, my first preference would be a 510 tank like Dreamwood Glow RCV18 (can manage to source) or Stempod SI (Not sure if I can get it delivered). Can look for other considerations and check if I am able to get them. I am unsure how well these work with hash.
Advantages: Cheapest, Easily slap on my existing mods
Disadvantages: Moderately difficult to use (puffing/getting herbs to heat before drawing pulls), any other?

Xmax V3 Pro - I can easily purchase one of these, however at like twice the price of a Dreamwood. That kinda takes the vfm part out. Some others like Tinymight, Arizer are available but way too expensive so disregarding them.
Advantages: Easiest to use
Disadvantages: Price, more prone to failure considering others are simpler devices.

Dynavap - Like the XMax, Dynaverse items easily available to me, but at more reasonable prices. However if I add IH the cost baloons up by a lot. And I’m not sure how cumbersome using a torch will get.
Advantages: Better hit?
Disadvantages: Difficult to use, Most expensive if adding IH.

What do you think I should get? Like I mentioned I would prefer a 510 tank as it seems relatively easy to use while being cheap. The Xmax has some really nice features making it the easiest to use so if it has better quality vape than a 510 tank, I don’t mind spending the extra cash. Only concern would be long term reliability as the other 2 would surely outlast it. Finally with the Dynavap, I’m not seeing a big reason to choose unless I missed something.

Hey, welcome to FC and wise choice picking up a vape!!

Having owned regulated, unregulated and butane powered vapes; the easiest to use is going to be the xmax v3 pro. If you want have a nice easy session that’s going to be your jam. Load it and power it up and you’re having your self a session with your lady.

The dynavap gets my recommendation as well because it’s so versatile and can easily be used with Hash as well as flower. I could also suggest building your own induction heater for the dynavap. Kits out there for $40 and that really makes the experience much easier. https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/wiskey_tango_foxtrot/pulse-induction-heater-dc97ee

Also, if you’re not into torches and don’t wanna build an induction heater, an alcohol lamp is such a serene way to use the dynavap.

I VOTE DYNA.

Cheers!

Farid

I'll echo what others have said wrt unregulated devices: the learning curve is high. Accidental combustion is common, and it will take time to train your wife.

The Dynavap also has a learning curve on the heatup, however if you learn it, you can easily heat it for your wife, and it will be easy for her. I also think the induction heater is hardly necessary, and you should give a torch a shot first. Then if you still find that difficult you can get an IH. Dynavap excels with hash too.

I know you mentioned arizer being out of your price range, but they can be pretty damn cheap some places. Much lower than the MSRP.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes. How would a Glow do with hash?

This is exactly why I think you should get the glow, yes unregulated it is going to take a learning curve, but if you are not used to any other vape then that doesn't matter? This would have the full power needed for hash and strong effects, you might need to do it for your SO if they cannot learn it themselves easily, some people take right to it, some people struggle, you never know so I think it is worth taking the leap if it is the most cost effective option for you as well... You'll have to do more research to see about people using hash in it, but I can pretty much guarantee they do, since the glow is more popular in Europe, Germany, where hash is also pretty common perhaps? I think there are plenty of people that are using hash in theirs... I'm not sure how they are, if they are using jackpods with steel mash or some sort of hemp fiber or rayon to hold the hash as they vape it with the pure convection full powered high temps (Glow has a strong kanthal heating element so you just set it to different wattage which basically controls how fast it will heat up and you can modulate your use of the button to further control)

Also one thing I missed out on is that I don’t get the greatest quality weed, so possibly will need slightly higher temps to extract the best out of it.

That actually doesn't make sense, if it's low quality weed, it will extract fully at lower temps probably... Like I don't know what not great quality means, is it dry? Then it's going to vape quickly with poor flavor is all... Going to depend how you grind and pack, there are a lot of variables with stem-based pure convection on demand.

I would be using wattage mode on my mods, so would 40-50w be sufficient?

Yes exactly and with wattage the temperature is all relative, you're going to have to learn to not think in terms of temperature at all, and yes that is plenty of what's, you won't need to go that high, I think you'll be using it below 40 typically, I only have the Glow 14 though I've never tried the 18 although I have iHeat and Splinters for that size...

Using 18 mm male adapter as WPA you should be able to use other glass and get a feel for what the glow can do for you, you might also enjoy it with a wood stem or a cooling stem dry, there are a lot of variables with a vape like this, that's why I think it would be the best option for your situation!

V3pro is a fantastic budget vape, but if it is going to be very expensive to you comparatively then it may not be worth it, it can be a bit limited especially if your goal is to vape hash... And yeah I wouldn't want to fuck with a torch either but you could check out the Dani vape too?

boomhill

Thank you all for your suggestions, some excellent points there guys!
Accidental combustion is one of things that can get really annoying. I don’t mind the learning curve at all, but it’s going to be a difficult task for my wife to get the pulsing and drawing correct. If it were a simple set it once and forget setups, would’ve been a no brainer. But now your inputs made me realize even with a torch lighter, the learning curve on a Dyna would be easier than a wattage controlled 510.

If going the Dyna route, what do you guys suggest getting? The newer cheaper B or the M? Sounds like a nice option to go with B and save money. The shorter length might be more prone to burning fingers though.
Xmax is looking a bit more lucrative even if expensive. To put things into context, Xmax v3 pro would cost me about $200 :(

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thank you all for your suggestions, some excellent points there guys!
Accidental combustion is one of things that can get really annoying. I don’t mind the learning curve at all, but it’s going to be a difficult task for my wife to get the pulsing and drawing correct. If it were a simple set it once and forget setups, would’ve been a no brainer. But now your inputs made me realize even with a torch lighter, the learning curve on a Dyna would be easier than a wattage controlled 510.

Yeah that's for you to decide, I find the DV and a torch much more annoying to use, I am more used to using pure convection on demand semi regulated with a separate glass stem WPA bowl, some people take right to it, and once you learn it it can be second nature... I just much prefer that battery power control, you want to be able to combust if you're trying to fully extract hash

If going the Dyna route, what do you guys suggest getting? The newer cheaper B or the M? Sounds like a nice option to go with B and save money. The shorter length might be more prone to burning fingers though.
Xmax is looking a bit more lucrative even if expensive. To put things into context, Xmax v3 pro would cost me about $200 :(

Yeah I think the problem is you are going to be too limited with the V3 Pro and it won't be enjoyable for hash, and I think $200 is too expensive to pay for one honestly...

Farid

The B might have one benefit over the M, and that is it will be easier to pass safely. What I mean by this is with the M, the mouthpiece and the hot tip look more similar, so it's possible for your wife to mistakenly put the hot side against her lips.

When I share the M I like to put a black rubber mouthpiece on it, to make the mouthpiece side more obvious. With the B that's not an issue.

Vaporware

I do like on demand convection best, and I think the Glow is in that category? I think that a VapCap or two is also a good option though, especially with an induction heater, and it might work better with hash.

Since you’re not interested in flavor I’d say think about how you load, use, unload and clean each one and see which seems like it fits you best.

I know you said things like the TinyMight were too expensive, but depending on how much you use on the weekends and how much you’re bothered by the shortcomings of other devices it could still end up being worth the money. Some people come back disappointed by something like the V3 Pro and just end up spending more in the end.

On the other hand, all of those devices have happy users (I still use VapCaps sometimes), so don’t feel like you’re choosing garbage if you go with anything on your list. Just know that they’re not, at least in my opinion, the best around*. You may still change your mind about flavor or other things you don’t think will matter too. :2c:

*To be fair I don’t know the Glow well, so it may be a solid choice. I just haven’t heard a lot of praise for it, and generally 510 devices can take more time and effort to get dialed in…if you’re used to that and don’t mind it though, it may work out great for you.

If you want simplicity though, VC/IH is pretty simple to me, TM is even easier but a different style, and if you want longer slower sessions rather than something that hits you hard and fast, conduction heaters like the DaVinci or Arizer portables may work well for you.

For hash though, the little I get goes into my Omnivap.

…I wrote a lot more than I intended to after the * :rolleyes:

GoldenBud

Some percentage of the Terpenes/Thc are being cooked in the VapCap before you can take a draw, hence I think VapCap is important to have just for diversity, and small bowl ofc is great, but, also get some 100% convection on-demand too..

GoldenBud,

boomhill

Yeah that's for you to decide, I find the DV and a torch much more annoying to use, I am more used to using pure convection on demand semi regulated with a separate glass stem WPA bowl, some people take right to it, and once you learn it it can be second nature... I just much prefer that battery power control, you want to be able to combust if you're trying to fully extract hash

Yeah I think the problem is you are going to be too limited with the V3 Pro and it won't be enjoyable for hash, and I think $200 is too expensive to pay for one honestly...
Makes sense. As with any opinions, I've heard people either say torching is not an issue while others swear they can't do without an IH. I personally don't see a challenge from the videos I've seen. But ofcourse, actual experience will differ depending on how I pack a bowl, hit, etc.
Fair point on the V3 Pro, if the price was more reasonable I wouldn't have thought much about it. But if I'm spending more I would expect something that would cover all my needs.

The B might have one benefit over the M, and that is it will be easier to pass safely. What I mean by this is with the M, the mouthpiece and the hot tip look more similar, so it's possible for your wife to mistakenly put the hot side against her lips.

When I share the M I like to put a black rubber mouthpiece on it, to make the mouthpiece side more obvious. With the B that's not an issue.
Yes! That's the first thing I thought as well.

I do like on demand convection best, and I think the Glow is in that category? I think that a VapCap or two is also a good option though, especially with an induction heater, and it might work better with hash.

Since you’re not interested in flavor I’d say think about how you load, use, unload and clean each one and see which seems like it fits you best.

I know you said things like the TinyMight were too expensive, but depending on how much you use on the weekends and how much you’re bothered by the shortcomings of other devices it could still end up being worth the money. Some people come back disappointed by something like the V3 Pro and just end up spending more in the end.

On the other hand, all of those devices have happy users (I still use VapCaps sometimes), so don’t feel like you’re choosing garbage if you go with anything on your list. Just know that they’re not, at least in my opinion, the best around*. You may still change your mind about flavor or other things you don’t think will matter too. :2c:

*To be fair I don’t know the Glow well, so it may be a solid choice. I just haven’t heard a lot of praise for it, and generally 510 devices can take more time and effort to get dialed in…if you’re used to that and don’t mind it though, it may work out great for you.

If you want simplicity though, VC/IH is pretty simple to me, TM is even easier but a different style, and if you want longer slower sessions rather than something that hits you hard and fast, conduction heaters like the DaVinci or Arizer portables may work well for you.

For hash though, the little I get goes into my Omnivap.

…I wrote a lot more than I intended to after the * :rolleyes:
Yes the Glow would be an on demand convection, which I too feel from my pure research without experience knowledge, should work better. I understand most folks would have both devices for different situations/moods, but for now I'm gonna be using a single vape.

Some percentage of the Terpenes/Thc are being cooked in the VapCap before you can take a draw, hence I think VapCap is important to have just for diversity, and small bowl ofc is great, but, also get some 100% convection on-demand too..
Noted.

im not a robot

Also, if you’re not into torches and don’t wanna build an induction heater, an alcohol lamp is such a serene way to use the dynavap
i would like to second this. i was initially really turned off by the entire aesthetic experience of torch lighters & got an alcohol burner with my first vapcap. it gives off a high school science lab meets cognac by the fireplace atmosphere & also extracts really well as it takes a bit longer than the torch. i eventually got a cheap induction heater, and this is the most comfortable way of using a dynavap, but alcohol burner is surely the nicest.

i dont know the glow, but vapcap is probably the better option for hash? have you considered the vapman? work as well if not better with hash, and has much better flavor than dynavap imo. i know you said flavor is not important, but good flavor is still preferable? but using a torch is obligatory until the station becomes available again. it is incredibly efficient, a stellar microdoser, and a pretty little object in a reasonably priced package (but more expensive than dynavap).

Top Bottom