• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What's your temp stepping method? Longer shesh vs 1hit extraction

PutOneInTheAir

E-nano, DynaVaps, v3pro, ROFFU
It would be curious to hear other members preferred methods of temp stepping in detail?

I'm just starting to experiment with it to be honest, I did something like 350 Fahrenheit then next move was 375 then 495 all the way up to 420

I have some questions to you hit at a particular temperature and then make the switch once you don't see no visible vapor anymore? Or do you just take a hit at each temperature? I would be curious to hear other people's methods so I could experiment?

I would also love to hear others opinions on temp stepping gets you more effects or are you on the other camp that faster extraction gets you more effects? I know quite a few people think If you could kill a bowel in one or two hits it's more effective than longer consumption with the same amount

PutOneInTheAir,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It depends on the vape and the mood and the buds, there are too many variables, never do just one thing all the time, also if you extract a lot at the lower settings, there will be less for you at the upper settings, so you can also think of temperature as how quick you want to extract and what levels of extraction you desire... Theres just as many opinions that feel temp stepping gets you higher than one quick rip, like I say variety is the spice of life, more vapes more herbs more settings and styles of use, it all works

PutOneInTheAir

It depends on the vape and the mood and the buds, there are too many variables, never do just one thing all the time, also if you extract a lot at the lower settings, there will be less for you at the upper settings, so you can also think of temperature as how quick you want to extract and what levels of extraction you desire... Theres just as many opinions that feel temp stepping gets you higher than one quick rip, like I say variety is the spice of life, more vapes more herbs more settings and styles of use, it all works
I've always just went off of AVB color, I don't think most manufacturers hit the display temperature and it seems to be widely all over the place between different vapes so AVB seems to be the only one that I could get it off of.
I've seem to find a common ground where the flavor doesn't run out before everything's fully extracted so I always try to dial in a balance between extraction and flavor that makes sense? Haven't really messed with that stepping up in temperatures too much but something fun like you said different variety

Shit Snacks

I've always just went off of AVB color, I don't think most manufacturers hit the display temperature and it seems to be widely all over the place between different vapes so AVB seems to be the only one that I could get it off of.

That's what I'm talking about, the temperature settings are different on different types of vapes that work differently, it depends what they are measuring exactly, where the temperature sensor is, it's not typical that they are actually measuring the temperature of the load itself at all so it's not going to be accurate that way... That's why I always say temperature control is relative to the device and you have to learn what the numbers mean for you and your use. AVB can also be misleading as different vape technology extracts different ways, darkness is not necessarily an indication of proper extraction... You can get full extraction keeping the herbs light with many vapes.

I've seem to find a common ground where the flavor doesn't run out before everything's fully extracted so I always try to dial in a balance between extraction and flavor that makes sense? Haven't really messed with that stepping up in temperatures too much but something fun like you said different variety

Yep, that's exactly what I do, because I flavor chase, I don't really like it when it starts to taste bad, depending on the size of the load and the vape, sometimes it starts to taste bad when there's still plenty left, I don't like to use vapes like that... I like to use a modest load on demand where I can see the progress, but now with a lot of experience that I have, even more than that the taste is so pure and I am tuned into the vapor so that I can feel the progress and know :tup:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
100% agree with this. I love to temp step with my TM. Just about the perfect vape for this. I never temp step with my desktops. It is just too much effort. I naturally temp step with the vapman as the pan heats more through the course of a session.

Temp-stepping rules with the right vape and mood. I never really examine my duff because that doesn't really tell me anything that I care about.

Shit Snacks

Yeah desktops equilibrium makes sense to keep it at the one setting you want to use, I might start a little lighter during the day and then turn it higher at night depending on that vape though...

And yeah the TM is an ultimate temp stepper, with full temp control on the dial, I start very low as possible typically with a pure glass pathway, and I will take one hit at each temp step, turning the dial tiny bit by tiny bit between settings, so there is nothing left by the time I am at level five really... If I want to do a quicker bowl I will start higher or temp step quicker, I like to use session mode for a one hitter through water, so I don't have to hold the button down during the hit, I just turn it off as I am seeing the vapor fade and continue inhaling to fully clear the heat and vapor.

OP is using Roffu so you just have to find what temp step settings will work for you there (I used mine extremely low like starting below 300 low)

PutOneInTheAir

Very very interesting discussion! I've always thought that color of AVB indicated the amount of extraction? But you are correct now that I think about it because sometimes I could just look at AVB and you can see it lifeless at a golden brown. Basically you're just going off of flavor once it goes rancid there's no use for it anymore? Which is one thing I've been trying to pay attention to because it's just really not worth it I've took some stuff that I felt could have been extracted more got a nasty hit when I threw it in the Dyna vap and the effects weren't anything amazing for the quality of flavor.

I am trying to mess around and just find a set temperature that I feel is the best middle ground but I'm still in the upper range of 400s on the ROFFU
With my e nano I keep it at 6.533333333334289 (and tape that sucker down)

The DynaVap I have the Skullcandy inserts on my wand so I adjust the thickness and at the end of the day I was going for the one hit extractions but starting to go back to two or three even on the half bowl setting, just kind of enjoying the scenic route.
Honestly the more I've been on this honeymoon with the ROFFU I'm only using DynaVap bowl sizes. I'm in the camp where they're pack too small extractions than one big and have a fresh flavor each time. I actually am impressed how much attraction you get from those amounts in the ROFFU. My flavor does seem to disappear pretty quick though on this device by the second hit I think the lowest I point is 370f which leads me to believe that the heater is running pretty hot

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Even with dry herb vapes with the ability to easily temp step, the vast majority of the time I stay at a fixed temp for the entire session.

I think it may be for a few different reasons:

A) I subscribe to the idea that different cannabinoids and effects occur at higher/lower temps and I prefer to stay in the mid range,

2) I'm a microdoser mostly and focus on getting decent enough extraction, then put it away, and

D) Decisions such as temp stepping could potentially be impacted by people's access to flower. For example, if you grow your own plants you may feel slightly less compelled to use up every bit of potential in a session since it is plentiful. (?)

Like others have said, definitely no single answer for everyone or every situation. Have fun!

(BTW, I'm currently at 5 on my TM2 and extract in 2 to 3 hits)

Shit Snacks

Even with dry herb vapes with the ability to easily temp step, the vast majority of the time I stay at a fixed temp for the entire session.

I think it may be for a few different reasons:

A) I subscribe to the idea that different cannabinoids and effects occur at higher/lower temps and I prefer to stay in the mid range,

2) I'm a microdoser mostly and focus on getting decent enough extraction, then put it away, and

D) Decisions such as temp stepping could potentially be impacted by people's access to flower. For example, if you grow your own plants you may feel slightly less compelled to use up every bit of potential in a session since it is plentiful. (?)

Like others have said, definitely no single answer for everyone or every situation. Have fun!

(BTW, I'm currently at 5 on my TM2 and extract in 2 to 3 hits)

Yeah temp stepping doesn't mean you go high to finish though, you can stay low like I do with the TM, if I set my TM at 5, I kill it in one hit, it's very tough for me to take more than one hit at one setting, so I start lower to make the (typically pretty small) bowl last longer and milk the delicious flavors...

not worth it I've took some stuff that I felt could have been extracted more got a nasty hit when I threw it in the Dyna vap and the effects weren't anything amazing for the quality of flavor

Yeah exactly, when you have other vapes, you can compare and see how the extraction was in another vape, that will reveal to you that the color is not everything, far from it! You can usually feel the moisture that was extracted from a load (or not yet extracted) regardless of color, and so the more experience you have, you can notice that with the flavor and quality of the vapor itself...

My flavor does seem to disappear pretty quick though on this device by the second hit I think the lowest I point is 370f

Yeah this is a problem with Roffu, you're not using a device that is known for great flavor, especially on the high end, dynavap has simpler materials but with its tech is also not a flavor champ at all imo...

PutOneInTheAir

Yeah temp stepping doesn't mean you go high to finish though, you can stay low like I do with the TM, if I set my TM at 5, I kill it in one hit, it's very tough for me to take more than one hit at one setting, so I start lower to make the (typically pretty small) bowl last longer and milk the delicious flavors...

Yeah exactly, when you have other vapes, you can compare and see how the extraction was in another vape, that will reveal to you that the color is not everything, far from it! You can usually feel the moisture that was extracted from a load (or not yet extracted) regardless of color, and so the more experience you have, you can notice that with the flavor and quality of the vapor itself...

Yeah this is a problem with Roffu, you're not using a device that is known for great flavor, especially on the high end, dynavap has simpler materials but with its tech is also not a flavor champ at all imo...
I agree The Dyna is it not for flavor chasers I have found ways to make it better One used glass stem to multiple smaller hits less heat It will get pretty flavorful but out of all these vapes flavor-wise I will rate it like this

E-nano king on flavor and hits.

V3PRO 2nd for flavor, not good hits (two free flowing for the heater}

ROFFU ok flavor hits good for portable that can pack a punch.

DynaVap hits second hardest and is a little lower flavor than the ROFFU. I think the Dyna is a more balanced equal vape as far as extraction color and flavor though. But if I use a glass stem and I use my induction heater and puff on my vap cap while it's heating I won't even get to the click and I will have delicious flavor with a good hit. One of the coolest things about the induction meters in my opinion

I think what I like about the Dyna is it's fast on demand that will fully extract with very little ease and minimal time and so simple to clean. But my E-nano wins on this category also. Portability and heat up time are the only negatives I find.

I have noticed what you're saying you can feel the moisture and you could just look at it and just know that that load no matter what the color is is just dead just no life to it anymore. The ROFFU is just a really nice discreet cannabis vape that will blend in with e-juice vapor units in public, a DynaVap not so much you definitely know what's up with that look 😆

wee

With a volcano hybrid I fill a bag: 180c 12sec, 190c 12secs, 200c 20secs.
I found < 180c doesn't really do anything.

wee,
Reactions: 364F

AJS

Calm Consistency
I temp step with my portables as temp is adjusted almost instantly.
Usually, there's a low temp starting point, a medium temp where I spend most of my time, and then a high temp to finish it off if I want. The Crafty+ makes it easy with its bootup temp, boost temp, and max temp boost.

My plug ins like my Herborizer / Nano XL, I just change my hit style to reflect what I want.

Even on high temp, you can get a "low temp" hit if you draw a bit faster and don't hold out your hit for too long.
Then I can just draw a bit slower on the next one when everything is hot, and get a darker hit to finish it off.

My plug ins are always a 1-2 hit killer though for the most part, unless it's mid-day and I'm going dry and try to draw out the sesh.

howie105

With a new digital vape, I select a starting temperature, usually around 310 f (arbitrary selection) and move up by ten to twenty degrees till the loads is done by not producing, tasting bad or combusting. Once the starting temperature range is established, it's divided between the number of desired hits. Lastly, the opening and closing temperatures get finalized (adjusted), and it's off to the races. Analog and non-regulated vapes follow a similar process, but require more interpretation and time.

Last edited:

Cloud McLongFoot

This kinda thing is the reason I waited so long and researched so much before deciding on my tm2. Wanted something that could do both if needed and it definitely can. I find temp stepping good when I've got the time to chill but can also kill a load fast, especially with my new stem. I'll usually go 6 to 8 over a few hits. Through water I'll go 8.5 and kill it to chocolate brown in 2 big pulls

Baboose1948

I use a pax 3 when I'm not using my dynavap and always temp step. I have the custom temp set at 340 and that's where i start. From there I just work my way through the pedals. 340, 360 and end on 380. I really go up to the fourth pedal which is 420. I normally break a half packed bowl into 2 sessions, starting low and finishing high... in more ways than one ✌️

Baboose1948,

CleanHippie

Really depends on my mood and the bud I have.
If I'm wanting maximum flavor I'll slowly step it up, if I'm busy and need a quick rip its usually a 3 step process with massive clouds.

LeftBased

338f in roffu on demand mode produced caramel brown abv/duff. However results may vary depends on source material, inhalation technique. And grind type. The small grinder that comes with roffu works nicely.

I could turn up the temp if I want the super sleepy cannabinoids to smack me.
I like a balance since it is a hybrid I'm vaping. I am satisfied with it.

LeftBased,

cpl5938

I step temp with an Arizer AirMax. I start at 370f and go up by 2-3 increments for 4-5 hits. Then I turn the unit off and when I come back later to finish off the tube, I start at 385f and go up to 400f or so for 6-8 hits. Definitely have to go high temp for the last couple of hits. I could go even farther but the taste is my guide of when to stop. Dark ABV by the time it's over.

350 to 390 then to the max of 430 to finish it off on my POTV one. Gets nastier tasting and harshing on the last two settings but they don't last as long as the first one.

hardlawjockey,
Top Bottom