Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Firewood9

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Roffu

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

MrPinkman

Hello all,

I am trying to decide if I want to get a new dry herb vaporizer. I have a couple of reasons as to why I want a new vape.

1. I want to move away from vape carts at least while I am at my house and also cut down on dab usage (og puffco peak).

2. I live in a state where pot is not legal and my GF doesn’t smoke. My girlfriend knows and is totally fine with my smoking I just feel bad when I reek up the apartment.

3. I have an OG Arizer solo that I probably bought around 2015 when I was a senior in high school. It was lost for years and found recently. That being said it is still in good condition. I think it has a really great taste but I don’t really love how long you have to sit there and rip it (5-10 min is too long). Also I hate waiting for it to heat up.

With that being said I have two vapes in mind the TM2 and the firewood9.

I have done some pretty extensive research and here is what I have gathered on both of the vapes. The one thing that I really like about both is them being able to take 18650 batteries.

TM2 - 75 watt max. convection vape. Very heavy hitter. Has inner glass workings so it’s very fragile. They recently made a bad batch of units (tons of posts complaining on Reddit). Overall bad button design. 10 year warranty.

Firewood9 - 50 watt max. Hybrid style vape. Heavy hitter. Has a glass stem but I don’t believe it has inner glass workings? Way more durable and pocket friendly.

I will mainly be using this vape in my garage and while taking my dog for a walk. I WFH so I would like to be able to just step outside for a minute or two take some big rips then come back inside. I would like to bring it to other events as well away from my home. Like when I go snowboarding I’ll leave it in my car. Possibly bring it out in the woods for hikes.

I am heavily leaning towards getting a firewood9. I am a little scared I might regret decision though. Is the firewood9 good enough to become a daily driver for home and on the go?

I am assuming both of these devices are a huge step up from my OG solo which will automatically make me happy.

I will put a poll up there are other vapes on my radar so I will list them as well.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
My vote is for the Firewood primarily because I haven’t tried the TM2, and it’s my primary vape when I’m out and about since the retractable stem makes it very easy to pocket. However it does have a bit of a learning curve (check the last 5 or so pages of the firewood thread for tips), but once you get the tempo down it’s very easy to use.

Only downside I could see for you is it has more conduction heating than the TM2 and is therefore a bit slower to extract. Generally the first hit or 2 is wispy for me, but by hit 3 it starts getting nice and cloudy.

All that said, I doubt you’d be disappointed with either vape. My vote is FW9 due to being very compact and a solid all rounder, but if you have a high tolerance and prioritise fast extraction I’d lean TM2.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
All that said, I doubt you’d be disappointed with either vape. My vote is FW9 due to being very compact and a solid all rounder, but if you have a high tolerance and prioritise fast extraction I’d lean TM2.
Perfectly put. I don't have a FW9, but I have a FW7 and I think both would suit you fine.

I would lean slightly towards the TM, but it's just a bit more versatile. Also the TM is in no way "very fragile". That's a claim made often by people who have never actually used it.

I would not advise taking either vape with you while snowboarding, but either one will be great for hiking, etc.

Zipford

I have the TM 1.5 but don't have the Firewood. If you just want to step outside the house and take some quick rips, the TM will do the trick. It heats up fast and is powerful. It goes through batteries quick, so you'll want a spare or two so you can swap them out.

If you want to take it on a hike in the woods, I think it is a little big to just throw in your pocket. I'm sure it can be done, but it is a little big for that. TBH, when I am vaping out and about, I take my Fury Edge and capsules. The vapor quality is not like the TM, but it is very pocketable and with capsules easy to reload discretely. The XMAX V3 Pro is also pretty good and better vapor than the Edge, but it is long and not comfortable to carry in a pocket for any length of time (but it does take a 18650 you can swap out).

MrPinkman

I have the TM 1.5 but don't have the Firewood. If you just want to step outside the house and take some quick rips, the TM will do the trick. It heats up fast and is powerful. It goes through batteries quick, so you'll want a spare or two so you can swap them out.

If you want to take it on a hike in the woods, I think it is a little big to just throw in your pocket. I'm sure it can be done, but it is a little big for that. TBH, when I am vaping out and about, I take my Fury Edge and capsules. The vapor quality is not like the TM, but it is very pocketable and with capsules easy to reload discretely. The XMAX V3 Pro is also pretty good and better vapor than the Edge, but it is long and not comfortable to carry in a pocket for any length of time (but it does take a 18650 you can swap out).

Honestly I am starting to think this may be the way to go and get best of both worlds. I am thinking I will get the TM2 for around the house. I will then keep my eye out for either a Fury edge or a xlux roffu sale for my discrete out and about vape. I wonder how they compare in size? The Fury edge looks like it is a bit smaller and discrete.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
TM2 - 75 watt max. convection vape. Very heavy hitter. Has inner glass workings so it’s very fragile. They recently made a bad batch of units (tons of posts complaining on Reddit). Overall bad button design. 10 year warranty.

Well yeah, not very fragile really, I don't know anything about a recent made bad batch, but it's more of an assembly line whereas firewood is literally one person so pros and cons... I also don't think the button design is bad, I think some people are hard on it and it is not the most robust, but they seem to have made it better lately as a result, I have never had a single issue with any of my three TM buttons at all nor have I had an issue with fragility or durability (my original took a drop from the couch to hardwood floor without issue in fact) it also does not have to extract quick necessarily, the full temp range dial helps you control the extraction, glass stem for your chamber and pathway is awesome, just like the solo, but so much better and more versatile, more capable, faster and more powerful... I prefer to use with plain WPA basket screen and a nice right angled hook or U-turn stem, other good vibes cooling stems that I have, there are a lot of options for different aftermarket stems, the stock setup is fine and the stock accessories are nice, but I don't use any of them anymore personally

Firewood9 - 50 watt max. Hybrid style vape. Heavy hitter. Has a glass stem but I don’t believe it has inner glass workings? Way more durable and pocket friendly

There is glass, for the mouthpiece stem, that connects into the ceramic elbow, that is below the ceramic oven chamber, so the pathway is largely ceramic, a bit more durable than glass in theory yes although not necessarily as easy to clean, the removable chamber capsules helps, you may want to figure out if you want the capsule version or the bowl version now which makes it more like the old FW7 style and possibly maximizes conduction better whereas the capsule design has more convection (though you can control this in other ways with how you load and use it) it is certainly smaller, might feel sleeker, although it also has some protruberance, I think either one would be better in a hard shell digital camera case, also since you mentioned the button on the TM being a weak point, I have to point out that the button on the FW is no prize honestly haha it is often mentioned to be a weak point, some people have had failure problems though that is not that common, I just think it's worth noting as well..

For what you describe I do think the TM is probably going to serve you very well, nothing is perfect, going to have a little learning curve either way probably depending on what you're most used to and how you get on with it, there are just so many variables, really nice to have the on-demand experience with either of these and the pure materials they are made with...

Fury or the other budget apes will be noticeably worse in the vapor quality in my experience although they work quite well and you cannot argue with the price, more portable and still versatile with many accessory options too

Zipford

Honestly I am starting to think this may be the way to go and get best of both worlds. I am thinking I will get the TM2 for around the house. I will then keep my eye out for either a Fury edge or a xlux roffu sale for my discrete out and about vape. I wonder how they compare in size? The Fury edge looks like it is a bit smaller and discrete.
The TM 1.5 with the stock MP is roughly 3/4 of an inch taller than my Edge, but I think the TM2 is a little bigger still. Otherwise they are roughly comparable on size, but while the TM has a mouthpiece sticking up the Edge has smooth rounded edges and is definitely thinner (the TM is not a uniform width and the Edge is thinner than the thinnest part of the TM). Again, not a crazy difference sitting on a table but when it's in your pocket you notice the difference. You'll also notice the TM has superior vapor quality and is quite versatile as ShitSnacks has pointed out -- I think the TM for home and the Edge if you want to bring something out with you on a regular basis makes sense.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Well yeah, not very fragile really, I don't know anything about a recent made bad batch, but it's more of an assembly line whereas firewood is literally one person so pros and cons... I also don't think the button design is bad, I think some people are hard on it and it is not the most robust, but they seem to have made it better lately as a result, I have never had a single issue with any of my three TM buttons at all nor have I had an issue with fragility or durability (my original took a drop from the couch to hardwood floor without issue in fact) it also does not have to extract quick necessarily, the full temp range dial helps you control the extraction, glass stem for your chamber and pathway is awesome, just like the solo, but so much better and more versatile, more capable, faster and more powerful... I prefer to use with plain WPA basket screen and a nice right angled hook or U-turn stem, other good vibes cooling stems that I have, there are a lot of options for different aftermarket stems, the stock setup is fine and the stock accessories are nice, but I don't use any of them anymore personally

There is glass, for the mouthpiece stem, that connects into the ceramic elbow, that is below the ceramic oven chamber, so the pathway is largely ceramic, a bit more durable than glass in theory yes although not necessarily as easy to clean, the removable chamber capsules helps, you may want to figure out if you want the capsule version or the bowl version now which makes it more like the old FW7 style and possibly maximizes conduction better whereas the capsule design has more convection (though you can control this in other ways with how you load and use it) it is certainly smaller, might feel sleeker, although it also has some protruberance, I think either one would be better in a hard shell digital camera case, also since you mentioned the button on the TM being a weak point, I have to point out that the button on the FW is no prize honestly haha it is often mentioned to be a weak point, some people have had failure problems though that is not that common, I just think it's worth noting as well..

For what you describe I do think the TM is probably going to serve you very well, nothing is perfect, going to have a little learning curve either way probably depending on what you're most used to and how you get on with it, there are just so many variables, really nice to have the on-demand experience with either of these and the pure materials they are made with...

Fury or the other budget apes will be noticeably worse in the vapor quality in my experience although they work quite well and you cannot argue with the price, more portable and still versatile with many accessory options too
Yea I agree, tm is not that fragile. Not more than most other vapes. You don't want to drop it off the top of a mountain but you probably don't want to do that with other vapes either right? The tm won't break from normal use. I have mine with me everywhere, at home and outside.

Good luck choosing @MrPinkman

popitup

I own both a TM2 and FW9 and I have a similar situation to you, coming off disty, where I primarily use my devices at home, though typically at a desk.

You will be happy with either device, but you should be aware of some key differences that might influence your opinion.

TM2
  1. Big, fast, tasty hits
  2. Huge ecosystem, and compatibility with other vapes / accessories
  3. Bigger bowls possible
  4. Closed capsule system
  5. Easy to clean
  6. Less pocketable than the FW9
  7. You can use this vape a bunch of different ways, WPA should come standard

FW9
  1. Big, fast, tasty hits, unique signature
  2. Some compatibility with the vapcap ecosystem
  3. Smaller bowls than TM2
  4. Open capsule system (no covers means more finicky to manage on the go)
  5. More difficult to clean
  6. More pocketable
  7. More involved ritual

TM2 is more press button, go zoom, whereas the FW9 is more artisinial, will require some tinkering, and the ritual is more involved.

The FW9 is very compact, feels great in hand and is quite the talking piece. It has a tighter draw than the TM2. I usually take the FW9 on walks.

The TM2 button is overblown, as an impacted user from the issue, my device was returned to me in a week, giving me time to explore my other devices, and newer versions of the button should already be tougher. I'm typically using this with a WPA + water piece or j-hook, not really a go-for-stroll situation for me. Even with my smallest bent stem, unless I have JNCOs, I don't know about pocketing it.

Both vapes I would recommend an after-market stem for, and maybe a jacket. TM2's stock cooling unit mutes the terps, FW9 is hot and dry, pilled stems are legit, failing that a bb9 or revolve.

Last edited:

The_M

I own both a TM2 and FW9 and I have a similar situation to you, coming off disty, where I primarily use my devices at home, though typically at a desk.

You will be happy with either device, but you should be aware of some key differences that might influence your opinion.

TM2
  1. Big, fast, tasty hits
  2. Huge ecosystem, and compatibility with other vapes / accessories
  3. Bigger bowls possible
  4. Closed capsule system
  5. Easy to clean
  6. Less pocketable than the FW9
  7. You can use this vape a bunch of different ways, WPA should come standard

FW9
  1. Big, fast, tasty hits, unique signature
  2. Some compatibility with the vapcap ecosystem
  3. Smaller bowls than TM2
  4. Open capsule system (no covers means more finicky to manage on the go)
  5. More difficult to clean
  6. More pocketable
  7. More involved ritual

TM2 is more press button, go zoom, whereas the FW9 is more artisinial, will require some tinkering, and the ritual is more involved.

The FW9 is very compact, feels great in hand and is quite the talking piece. It has a tighter draw than the TM2. I usually take the FW9 on walks.

The TM2 button is overblown, as an impacted user from the issue, my device was returned to me in a week, giving me time to explore my other devices, and newer versions of the button should already be tougher. I'm typically using this with a WPA + water piece or j-hook, not really a go-for-stroll situation for me. Even with my smallest bent stem, unless I have JNCOs, I don't know about pocketing it.

Both vapes I would recommend an after-market stem for, and maybe a jacket. TM2's stock cooling unit mutes the terps, FW9 is hot and dry, pilled stems are legit, failing that a bb9 or revolve.
Thank you for ur review, I’m in the same spot right now, trying to decide btw both.

I have few questions:
- Does fw 9 support usb 3.0 fast charge?
- Amount of bowls per charge for both?
- Should on the go user opt for bowl or capsule?
- How many hits per bowl/capsule in fw 9?
- how do u clean fw 9?

The_M,

Shit Snacks

Thank you for ur review, I’m in the same spot right now, trying to decide btw both.

I have few questions:

It is USBC, pretty sure not fast charging, best to charge cells externally anyway

That really depends on how you use them, especially for the TM, you can expect three to six bowls depending on the variables it could be more or likely somewhere in between...

That is up to you, the bowl makes it more like the FW7, where the chamber is more or less fixed inside the device, it can still be removed for cleaning though... Capsule version means you have to remove the chamber, but you can have spare chambers preloaded, so you load the chambers separately as well instead of while they are in the device... So depends how and where you want to use it? Which one might appeal to you more... The bowl version might have a little more airflow restriction as well to increase conduction more like the FW7 potentially while the capsule version has a bit more open air flow for more convection supposedly...

It depends on the variables, what temp settings, how full of a bowl, how the bowl is loaded, how you inhale, how long you hold the button and how long you inhale, even other variables potentially... Just like with the TM, it depends how you are using it exactly, it can be many many hits or it can be very few relatively

- how do u clean fw 9?

Like I said, you can remove the chambers for full cleaning, you can also remove the ceramic pathway beneath the chamber, this has a right angle turn, and that is where the glass stem connects, which also is removed for cleaning... There's also a steel mesh screen in the ceramic chamber, all of these can be soaked rinsed scrubbed whatever in with iso alcohol

popitup

No, pretty annoying, but Shit Snacks makes a good point.

Again, agree with Shit Snacks, depends on how you are using it. When I pack it tighter in bowl mode, I can easily kill half the battery in on session.

I personally think the capsule is better, and the bowl mode doesn't offer much, but maybe I need to work on my technique.

Bowl mode had a more restricted draw, and didn't really allow me to add much more herb. I also got negligent with my cleaning, and realized much later that gunk had been building up in "bowl mode" (see a few pages back).

Tough question, there are a lot of factors to consider.

Maybe better to compare to the TM2, with bowl in a low-medium heat setting, I get lighter vapor over more hits with the firewood. Again, this could be my technique, but I'm pretty sure it's due to the bowl side, and heating tech.

- how do u clean fw 9?
Not what you asked, but the TM2 is easier to clean for me.

The_M

No, pretty annoying, but Shit Snacks makes a good point.

Again, agree with Shit Snacks, depends on how you are using it. When I pack it tighter in bowl mode, I can easily kill half the battery in on session.

I personally think the capsule is better, and the bowl mode doesn't offer much, but maybe I need to work on my technique.

Bowl mode had a more restricted draw, and didn't really allow me to add much more herb. I also got negligent with my cleaning, and realized much later that gunk had been building up in "bowl mode" (see a few pages back).

Tough question, there are a lot of factors to consider.

Maybe better to compare to the TM2, with bowl in a low-medium heat setting, I get lighter vapor over more hits with the firewood. Again, this could be my technique, but I'm pretty sure it's due to the bowl side, and heating tech.

Not what you asked, but the TM2 is easier to clean for me.
Thnx, regarding bowl to charge question, can u have 3 -5 sesh (1 bowl each) with either of the devices assuming u use average temp, or whatever measurement u can provide.

Like do u need to plug device after every sesh or once per day like a phone?

I get swappable battery, i have vapes that support that, however i’m not like of swapping multiple times per day

The_M,

Shit Snacks

Thnx, regarding bowl to charge question, can u have 3 -5 sesh (1 bowl each) with either of the devices assuming u use average temp, or whatever measurement u can provide.

Like do u need to plug device after every sesh or once per day like a phone?

I get swappable battery, i have vapes that support that, however i’m not like of swapping multiple times per day

Yeah again so many variables but I think you can probably get away with one day per charge, swapping batteries at night perhaps necessary though... I'll have my own FW9 soon enough, but if I had to guess I think the TM2 is just slightly more efficient with the battery potentially (depending on settings) if you are trying to compare evenly same size bowls filled and settings I think you can expect around four bowls give or take per battery from either one though ultimately

Greenleaf88

Tm2 seems to fit ur needs perfectly.

I haven’t tried the firewood but u can rip thru a tm bowl in less than 3 hits if u wanted to.

Greenleaf88,
Reactions: MrPinkman

popitup

For a normal session on each device, I average 3-4 sessions for both the TM2 and FW9. Though I'll usually swap batteries before full dead to avoid a weak session.

On average, I would recommend the TM2 over the FW9, unless you specifically want a more pocketable and unique device.

Top Bottom