• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

what essential oil to mask vape smell???

MinnBobber

Hi, my wife has a super-human nose for smelling micro amounts of flower vapor :(

I've tried many commercial sprays to reduce the vape smell with little luck. Now I'm thinking of essential oil and diffusing them to eliminate(?) the smell.

I'd guess lemon essential oil and orange essential oil extracts would be top performers for this.

What essential oils have worked for you? Or not worked and avoid?

Any other tips? Does something like the "smoke Buddy Jr" help reduce smell??

Thanks

Tranquility

Are you trying to make things comfortable for her or are you trying to hide your vaping?

If the former, a smoke Buddy will mitigate her displeasure. You can also just choose to use outside or to blow your exhale into a trash bag and clip until finished. But, none of them will COMPLETELY remove the smell. They will just make a more comfortable environment for the wife.

If the latter, better to work out your issues than try to hide it. You will not be successful hiding vaping from a person who is smell sensitive and who is suspicious in the first place. EVEN IF you found some great de-smell-ifying pill, potion or powder; you will still get a little on your breath, person or clothing and carry it around with out. Not a lot--just a tiny little bit only she smells and BAM, you're having an argument about your deception rather than a discussion about your expectations from each other.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hi, my wife has a super-human nose for smelling micro amounts of flower vapor :(

I've tried many commercial sprays to reduce the vape smell with little luck. Now I'm thinking of essential oil and diffusing them to eliminate(?) the smell.

I'd guess lemon essential oil and orange essential oil extracts would be top performers for this.

Thanks

Are you sure it's the vapor? IMO cracking open a jar of dank leaves a stronger aroma than vaporizing said nug.

I like to diffuse orange oil while vaporizing, but I'm not really sure if it covers up the smell or not. People that don't vape/smoke are always going to be way more sensitive to the smell of herb. Have you tried Ozium? Ozium actually neutralizes odor, I'd suggest that first.

Truthfully unless you're trying to hide your usage I don't see what the hub bub is, regarding a tiny little bit of vapor... At least you're not combusting! Surely she finds the vaping to be a dramatic improvement over the alternatives?

Guess you could just make coconut oil capsules if you're losing the war here.

Best of luck to ya buddy!

MothChewMoth

Gamer Extraordinaire
I've been using Orange and Peppermint together; it's a very pleasant combination. Agree with @invertedisdead that nugs and even my AVB smells linger way longer than any vapor residue. If you can make sure those are in smell proof containers, that goes a long way.

Also yes, short of Ozium and a vacuum hood, there's always going to be some sort of smell. Thankfully my significant other is cool with me vaping around the house as long as I'm not leaving open canisters of weed and AVB around. :lol:

flammy

Thanks

A smoke buddy will definitely help with the smell of the vapor. Don't get the junior and go ahead and get the full size. I have both and for home use, the full size is definitely recommended. On top of a smoke buddy, purchase some activated charcoal and place in the room in which the herb is stored. If you have quality herb, it will smell just by opening the jar and the activated charcoal that you place nearby will help in eliminating that smell.

Hope this helps.

CastIronHits

Slightly Crispy
Use an essential oil that smells like cannabis? Then you always have plausible deniability, instead of just trying to mask the smell. I would get some Catnip and start using that for a week, by the time you pull out the cannabis no one will know the difference. :rofl:

MinnBobber

I just don't like the dialogue, "have you been smoking again?" , after taking two hits at my vape station.

My stash is very contained to smell proof jars. Like inverted said, nugs smell really strong. This winter, I walked to far side of house, opened a stash jar and pulled out a tiny nug to check the moisture by feel, and put back in jar. I returned to room where my wife was and she said, "have you been smoking?.

Another true example: she was outside gardening but I was trying to leave inside as neutral as possible so took two small micro puffs in lower level bathroom with fan on. Blew the almost invisible vapor clouds toward fan. Wife comes in shortly and, " have you been smoking again?" She was working downwind of where the vapor exited :(

She has super-human cannabis stiffing abilities......

Tranquility

I just don't like the dialogue, "have you been smoking again?" , after taking two hits at my vape station.

There is nothing but communication that will help. Dialogue or confrontation are your choices. If you have discipline and resources you would reduce the chance of getting caught. But, is that what you really want? It's not like the reduction means you will never get caught. If you vape enough, even a tiny chance becomes a sure thing over time.

You don't want to be inhaling Ozium.

https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16004084

flammy

There is nothing but communication that will help.

Thanks for saying it better than I could. My better half doesn't love the smell either but doesn't have an issue with my usage. That said, I employ the methods that I described above to appease her.

We're both professional adults so when we have company over, its best to not have it reek of herb. The smoke buddy will truly go a long way in mitigating the vapor odor. If you're going for stealth then the Jr is the way to go.

If you do choose to go with a masking scent solution, I would suggest going with something strong like oils from Yankee Candle. The biggest downside to this method is that she will either connect whatever scent that you're using to your cannabis use at some point or you'll need to leave it on all the time. She seems to tough to fool...LOL.

Last edited:

Tranquility

As long as we're spitballing here to reduce odor issue from cannabis use, air purifier tech has improved a lot in the last few years. I haven't really looked into it but, for the price of a good vape, you might be able to get a device you plug in that can remove all the free floating smells from a space in a couple of minutes. I don't know of which ones work best as I don't use one. A quick search shows many choices that claim to solve the problem for smokers.

shredder

When I restarted using marijuana after being drug tested for many years I figured I would have a hard time with my wife concerning issues just like yours.

It helps that I'm a medical user, but I had my wife along with me from the start. I took her to compassion club meetings and to a mj doctor appointment.

She still had a dim view of it, but I slowly won her over. She had some pain and I made her some mj capsules. That led to brownies, and then to vaping. Now she vapes more than me. Be careful, lol.

Top Bottom