• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What books are you reading?

DirtyD

Re reading ' The Third Eye ' by T. Lobsang Rampa. My dad turned me on to this book when I was about 12 or so. An autobiography of a Tibetan Lama. Killer book. Short and reads fast too. Cheers, D.

DirtyD,

DirtyD

Autobiography is what I meant to say. Sorry about 3x post. Love you Fc! D.

DirtyD,

Dank_Star

In space no one can hear you purr.
Hey guys ! Can anyone recommend some Ursula Le Guin novels ? the name is new to me but her reputation seems pretty awesome. Many thanks in advance.

Edit to reflect that this was intended for the bookworms thread. Sorry for the potential detour !

Last edited:
Dank_Star,
Reactions: DirtyD

DirtyD

Yeah I've read a lot of the books in the same section of the libary as Ursula like Bradbury, Arthur C Clarke, etc. But never read anything by her. I would also like to know a good one to read. Wow. Nothing but crickets around here!:::::::
Anyway, just finished ”"Sinkin Spells, Hot Flashes, Fits and Cravins"" by Ernest Matthew Mickler. SAME AUTHOR of the cult classic - ""White Trash Cooking"" which I also HIGHLY recommend. Yes these are cookbooks, but not only are the recipes delectable looking, the stories in between are just pure gold, Jerry. An older lady I know gave them to me. I'll bet you could order them online. Cheers! I just created a " what cook books are you reading" thread .... thanks FC! D.
Edit::: Anything by H.P. Lovecraft but ESPECIALLY "" The Shadow Out Of Time" a short novel , but will scare you at a cellular level. Heavy shit. Cheers again! Let's hear about some more good books! D.

Last edited:

Megaton

Recently finished reading the Hyperion Cantos, and also read the third Dune novel which was good, albeit a bit weird.

Currently re reading Wyrd Systers by Sir Terry Pratchett, as I realised that I had not read the Tiffany Aching novels, so I got very excited to read a Pratchett story line that I hadn't experienced yet so I started right at the beginning of the witches arc, got a run of about 11 books total to read (started at Equal Rites) and I am very excited to get lost in the Discworld for the first time for the last time.

Dank_Star

In space no one can hear you purr.
I've developed a penchant for science fiction lately. I've just finished reading "The Stars my Destination" (AKA Tiger Tiger) by Alfred Bester. A quick read but very good. I should finish "Non Stop" by Brian Aldiss over the weekend. Again, a short but very enjoyable novel. Both of these were written in the mid -50s but have aged remarkably well. Next up will either be some Philip K Dick or maybe delve into some short stories from "Dangerous Visions" As you can see I'm taking a sort of historical approach to exploring the genre.
@DirtyD I'm intrigued by your cookery book recommendations...Next time I'm on Amazon...:sherlock:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Ah... good old crazy PKD is a must read! :D

A scanner darkly, Ubik, Three stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Flow my tears..., The man in the high castle... you name them!

Currently reading/listening to an old long out of print classic for the Lovecraft/Machen/Cosmic Horror crowd... T.E.D. Klein's The Ceremonies, which just was released by Audible in a new audiobook edition :)

https://horrornovelreviews.com/2013/09/24/t-e-d-klein-the-ceremonies-review/

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Ceremonies-Audiobook/B07SM17YG2

John Coaltrain

I'm reading Being, Essence and Substance in Plato and Aristotle by the French philosopher Paul Ricoeur.

I've become fascinated by postmodern philosophical theology lately, and was surprised to learn there are deconstructive and constructive varieties of postmodernism.

The deconstructive vein – at least the radical variety of such thinkers as Derrida and Barthes – leaves me uninspired. The constructive vein of such thinkers as Ricoeur, Hans-georg Gadamer, and, to a lesser extent, Martin Heidegger is fascinating.

In this book, Ricoeur examines the metaphysics of Plato and Aristotle and critiques some of the presuppositions which have somewhat burdened the course of Western philosophy since antiquity, namely, the respective stasis of Platonic essence and Aristotelian substance, as each of these pertain to a general notion of being-itself.

I'm also slowly reading my way through a collection of early Coptic Gnostic writings referred to collectively as the Nag Hammadi Library – which was discovered in a cave in Egypt in 1945. Some of it is deeply, deeply fantastic (in the true sense of the word); much of it is tediously dull and unimaginative; some of it is inaccessably bizarre; and a little bit of it reads like some of the 'orthodox' religious sentiments of the diverse expressions of monotheism and ditheism in and around the Mediterranean of late antiquity.

Last edited:

DirtyD

Just finished" Tortilla Flat" by John Steinbeck, hilarious, haven't read it in 25 years. Also try " Cannery Row" by same author, both short books and excellent reads.... Also re reading the original Dune series ( all but the first one) . All by Frank Herbert. Awesome sci fi. Anyway, Cheers!! D.

Tranquility

I've started down the rathole of what is known as "SCP". I don't know if I can escape. It seems there's a little bit for everyone--especially if you like science fiction. I don't know how to describe SCP other than it relates to anomalies the foundation must secure, contain and protect. It is fan driven and takes a little time to "get" it. But, once you do, there's a ton of interesting content.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

Tranquility,
Reactions: macbill

yung fuggingson

The Dark Path: Conspiracy Theories of the Illuminati & Occult Symbolism in Pop Culture, the New Age Alien Agenda & Satanic Transhumanism

yung fuggingson,
Reactions: Squiby

vapirtoo

Wow such a wide range of interests!
Kurt Vonnegut was my fave back in my 20's as was Lobsang Rampa.
At one point a friend and I had read almost everything they wrote.
Zelazny's Amber series still amazes me as well as Frank Herbert.
J. Krishnamurti with the no observer mindset has always been a challenge!
Right now I am rereading, The Count of Monte Cristo by the Haitian author
Dumas.

Top Bottom