Wet, hacking cough hours after vaping?

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I’ve recently upped my vaping frequency, doing 3-4 sessions on my Fury 2 using dosing capsules throughout the day and then hitting a bowl or two on my Splinter Z or in the Dynavap at night. When I vape at home at night I usually do it through water, but not always.

Last night I took some big hits off my Fury through water, then later another set of big hits from my Splinter Z through water, then another smaller session with the Z because I was testing a new stem. Both the water sessions I did at higher temps/wattages (385-410 for the Fury, 38-42 watts for the Z).

About two hours after going to sleep I woke up with a nagging, persistent cough, and when I would breathe in I would wheeze and my lungs felt wet. I also had bad heartburn and I’m not sure if that is connected. In all my years of vaping I’ve never had an experience like that. The coughing was intense and the wheezing was scary (since I never experienced it before).

I was able to get back to sleep after about 10 minutes, and this morning I can breathe fine and don’t see any colored mucus.

Needless to say I’m going to take a break for a few days. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this, what might cause it, and anything I can do to avoid it. Am I just vaping too often? Too much filtered through water? Too high temps when using water? Maybe I just need to not vape on nights when my heartburn is acting up.

Any insight is welcome!

Last edited:

paehtod

Don't worry, you just vaped too much big hits and your throat hurts and produced something to lubricate but caused cough. I had experienced these few days ago, we may consider it as "too much high temp convection hit" or too much "direct to lung hit".

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Don't worry, you just vaped too much big hits and your throat hurts and produced something to lubricate but caused cough. I had experienced these few days ago, we may consider it as "too much high temp convection hit" or too much "direct to lung hit".

So would my best bet be to vape at lower temps? Normally I don’t go above 360 F.

Monk Debate,

paehtod

My grindhouse shift (fury clone) is the vape that always caused me cough, even with water, so try use less the fury, and when your throat feel hurt, give it a break, drink some warm water:)

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
My grindhouse shift (fury clone) is the vape that always caused me cough, even with water, so try use less the fury, and when your throat feel hurt, give it a break, drink some warm water:)

Thanks! I don’t like the taste much from the Fury either so I may switch it for another portable option.

Monk Debate,

paehtod

The Z is one of my best option for portable, with the Wismec Sinuous P80, its OK portable/pocketable for me.

paehtod,

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
The Z is one of my best option for portable, with the Wismec Sinuous P80, its OK portable/pocketable for me.

I find the Z too big to be comfortably portable, plus it’s lined with glass. I’m considering the Impcognito or Dreamwood Glow 14 at the moment.

Monk Debate,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Strange cause I'm under the opposite opinion and always recommanded the Fury as one of the smoother vape!?! I reach to it when I'm sick and can't handle harsh hits... I never tried the splinter but I have the Iheat and it isn't as smooth as the Fury, I think this is a part of a full convection unit and consider conduction (or hybrid) vapes generally smoother

Personnaly I don't think your issue is related to vaping since you use very low temp and don't seems to vape so much bowls, @Monk Debate, Imp is very smooth for a full convection vape, I think cause the very small dose. It seems the Impcognito to be harsher due to the shorter vaporpath, I think a custom long stem might help here.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Strange cause I'm under the opposite opinion and always recommanded the Fury as one of the smoother vape!?! I reach to it when I'm sick and can't handle harsh hits... I never tried the splinter but I have the Iheat and it isn't as smooth as the Fury, I think this is a part of a full convection unit and consider conduction (or hybrid) vapes generally smoother

Personnaly I don't think your issue is related to vaping since you use very low temp and don't seems to vape so much bowls, @Monk Debate, Imp is very smooth for a full convection vape, I think cause the very small dose. It seems the Impcognito to be harsher due to the shorter vaporpath, I think a custom long stem might help here.

In general I vape smaller amounts at low temps but last night I was pushing the heat further up because I was using my vapes with a bubbler.

I think you’re right about the Impcognito and the regular Imp would be a better choice for me.

And for me I find at the lower temps at least that convection is easier for me to handle than conduction, perhaps because most convection vapes allow me more control over my draw.

Monk Debate,
Reactions: PPN

little maggie

I suspect it's the temps you used and not the vapes. You said this doesn't happen usually when you use lower temps.
I found the fury milder than any of my other vapes when used directly. With my other vapes I use a cooling device of some kind- not water. But when my temps are too high I end up coughing. The imp was the worst.

C No Ego

In general I vape smaller amounts at low temps but last night I was pushing the heat further up because I was using my vapes with a bubbler.

I think you’re right about the Impcognito and the regular Imp would be a better choice for me.

And for me I find at the lower temps at least that convection is easier for me to handle than conduction, perhaps because most convection vapes allow me more control over my draw.
one thing I've found with all vapes I've used so far, if I try and draw to fast they go harsh ... I've been in a hurry a few times and had a horrible session with irritated throat ETC on all my vapes over the years.. sometimes to they just go harsh, not sure why... like the last session was super smooth, same weed ETC and then harsh ....
we just turned on AC and the old air in their sitting for spring time was harsh and I had a few breathing issues from it... mowed lately too and it was an assault on the airways... did you possibly do something else that could have caused it?

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
one thing I've found with all vapes I've used so far, if I try and draw to fast they go harsh ... I've been in a hurry a few times and had a horrible session with irritated throat ETC on all my vapes over the years.. sometimes to they just go harsh, not sure why... like the last session was super smooth, same weed ETC and then harsh ....
we just turned on AC and the old air in their sitting for spring time was harsh and I had a few breathing issues from it... mowed lately too and it was an assault on the airways... did you possibly do something else that could have caused it?

I did have some bad heartburn that night which could have either been the cause or exacerbated the higher temp vaping I was doing.

I’ve been on a vaping break since my original post here, but last night I did two bowls in my Splinter Z between 33 and 38 watts and had no breathing, coughing, or wet lung issues. Thank you all for your input!

Monk Debate,

C No Ego

I did have some bad heartburn that night which could have either been the cause or exacerbated the higher temp vaping I was doing.

I’ve been on a vaping break since my original post here, but last night I did two bowls in my Splinter Z between 33 and 38 watts and had no breathing, coughing, or wet lung issues. Thank you all for your input!

glad you are better... could have been a spot of mold in a bud too that other night... I've head that odd moldy taste every now and then in the vapor indicating a bit of mold...

C No Ego,
Top Bottom