Want to “build” my own table. Need advice from home DIYers

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I need to get a table to butt up against a kitchen island in a very limited space.
I have been unable to find one in the exact height/width pre-made, so I was thinking of building it myself using pre-made parts.

I am going to buy steel legs with leveling feet (so I can adjust up to an inch to get height perfect) and a custom cut wood top about 1 1/4“ thick. It isn’t a large table - 27” x 36” and am planning on using one inch square legs.
Will these measurements support a normal table load?

Is it as easy as I think it is? I have a cordless screwdriver, and a level. Just screw the legs into each corner, make sure it‘s level and voila!

Or am I missing some important steps?
Am I missing key tools? Do I need a drill to make holes for screws first?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
If the top is a soft wood like pine, then you may get away without pre drilling holes. Personally I always pre drill regardless.

Make sure that the screws aren't to long, you don't want them poking through the table top. Get ones that are long enough to bite into the wood and give a good grip though.

Does the wood top come with a finish coat on it?

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Home Depot has jigs that will line up the leg with the table and keep it square while you pre drill your holes and screw them in. We had to do a similar project in our garage for a shelving unit that wouldn’t have fit if it was premade (odd sized) and the jig helped a lot more than I would have thought. Also try not to over tighten the screws. Luckily ours didn’t matter if it didn’t look great, just needed to work good. Good luck!

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Does the wood top come with a finish coat on it?
I have several options for this that can be done for me, but I need to research which would be best for dining/kitchen table. If you have any thoughts off the top of your head, I’m open to suggestions.

One of the MANY obsessions I have acquired from FC is my love for a beautiful wood grain - so many options for the type of wood AND finishes. Sometimes too many options make it hard to make a decision!

At the moment, this is what I am thinking of getting:
https://hardwood-lumber.com/african...pdkrZZ1VCYn67_E7krJA4eTwIZ3ExiOcaAhGjEALw_wcB

Thanks @KidFated. - I will definitely go check out jigs.

Sounds like I will need a drill. Will have to borrow one from someone.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
So many beautiful woods out there indeed, that African mahogany looks stunning!

Wood finish comes down to personal preference and the end use of the wood in question. I absolutely love oil based finishes because of how they bring out the colors, but for a table top in the kitchen I would probably go for durability over aesthetic and recommend some sort of varnish/polyurethane.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have several options for this that can be done for me, but I need to research which would be best for dining/kitchen table. If you have any thoughts off the top of your head, I’m open to suggestions.

One of the MANY obsessions I have acquired from FC is my love for a beautiful wood grain - so many options for the type of wood AND finishes. Sometimes too many options make it hard to make a decision!

At the moment, this is what I am thinking of getting:
https://hardwood-lumber.com/african...pdkrZZ1VCYn67_E7krJA4eTwIZ3ExiOcaAhGjEALw_wcB

Thanks @KidFated. - I will definitely go check out jigs.

Sounds like I will need a drill. Will have to borrow one from someone.
I see that this supplier/fabricator offers a variety of pre-finish options for you.
I suggest contacting them to discuss your application (what the top will be used for, etc.).
Some are more food-safe than others. Something like the "Salad Bowl' finish may be appropriate? if you plan food prep.
I also definitely suggest oil-type (penetrating) finish as opposed to surface coat (like polyurethane). Keep in mind that with most oils, re-application can be necessary after some years. It can be pretty easy to do.
If you go with any of these hardwood tops, you will need to pre-drill for the screws. Don't drill all the way through! Big rookie mistake!
Enjoy; this will look great.

Top Bottom