NFC wall powered modbox, no battery and my first thread

GI

Hi, this is my first thread, if i do something wrong, sorry, my english is not so good, I don't know if i have to present myself first...cirrect me, please.
My question, is possible to made an regulated or unregulated vape modbox, like 510 vapes that is powered by an wall adapter or similar supply ? If i want to use for example a Dream wood glow on a box wall powered without battery ? There are something on the market or DIY some plans kits ? Thanks

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Hello ! Yes it is possible,but i am not familar with the specs of the glow so i cannot make recommendations for the power supply.
Insta Heat (aka iHeat) Just email to alan@toasty-top.com and see if he can do something for you. :)
What is the resistance of your GLOW ? How many watts do yo need at what voltage ?
If it needs 20 amp power supply,those are one hefty SOBs..

GI

Ah thank, no i dont have a glow, i have something similar made by myself, with a old rda deck and an argis legend, i like to have a desktop version...i remember the old forum instaheat...i dont go over 50w with my dreamwood clone.

jagi,

Abysmal Vapor

What is your resitance ? Ohms Law Calculator check this one if you have troubles with OHM's law.
For example if you resitance is 0.250 to get 50 watts you will ne like 15 amps at 3.53553 volts.. Which mean that you will need at least 20amp 4v PSU..Take a look at led PSU.. here is the PA for TUBOevic for size reference(it is a PSU connected to a battery dummy that fits in the vape.. If you want endless power ,well somewhat endless,get a 4 battery mod like wismec RX300,havent touched my PA since then,it will be also cheaper.Just dont forget to put them up for charge before you go to bed :).
GVjfYRo.png

Abysmal Vapor

Well do you want to build the controller yourself ? Or use it to power a boxmod ? Power supply 5v and 15 amps at least cause you need slack.You can create a dummy battery out of wood/cork,put two pins/flathead bolts on both sides and wire the + to one end and - to the other and put that in the mod,you will probably have to drill the mods door for the wires,depending on the model. If you want to build a controller yourself. You will need a buckboost/step down converter to manipulate the output. You will need one that is rated for 12 amps. . Also you will need voltage/amp meters to display what is happening.That is a bunch of parts ,soldering ,if you have dont consider yourself a handyman ,maybe you shouldnt bother.

GI

No, i solder something but I'm not so expert...but maybe sme friends or maybe there's something just ready on the market ? Many people nade unregulated boxmod and it looks very simple and also dangerous if not use with brain...i just ask, maybe is not so difficult find a buck coverter and made some solder....the old forum post about instaheat don't loojs si difficult but i find very little information about these thing...

Hippie

Yes - they're sometimes known as passthrough devices and or vapestations (altho I think the vapestation is really just the power supply)
Analog box mods sell kits and have build videos on youtube to show you how to put them together, if that's what you're after

Hippie,

GI

Yes, i see them, i have an old pico box, if i fon6d the right power supply it's enough to feed with the fake crok battery or doesn't work or damage the box ?

jagi,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I was reading through these posts and wanted to ask if you just want to power the mod with a power supply. In that case, yes, your wall supply would need to meet the battery specification. You can use a power supply in the range of 3.2V to 4.2V, a single cell mod must be able to handle that. And if the mod is capable of outputting 50 watts, that is just about 12 amps at 4.2V... but it can be closer to 16 amps at 3.2V (or whatever the valid range is). This is a lot of power that batteries can do these days without real effort. However, a 4V 15 amps supply is rather odd. So people also add a DC-DC converter to dial in the voltage from a more common power supply.

If I am completely off the mark in this reply, please ignore. Bottom line is that a MOD is a version of a DC-DC converter with intelligence.

TommyDee,

GI

Batteries are easy, if i look at the adapter that need.... aren't so cool...big heavy bricks.

jagi,

GI

But with a coil of 1,6 ohm i need a 7v 6A adapter for 42w isn't possible to use this value or is too low ?

jagi,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
That is what the MOD takes care of. If you want to eliminate the MOD, then yes, you can just use a DC-DC converter. Then you can set the voltage or the current. The ohms will determine the power needed at any specific voltage level.

This is a simple setup of a variable voltage power supply. I am using a 18v 65w adapter. The converter on top of it can change the voltage to whatever I want up to 8 amps.
49732424096_72d184fc00_o.jpg

This is available up to 10 amps for instance. 3 to 12 volt capable.

091a28b0-40ad-405c-aa39-5e72dded49ab.jpeg

Last edited:
TommyDee,

GI

That is what the MOD takes care of. If you want to eliminate the MOD, then yes, you can just use a DC-DC converter. Then you can set the voltage or the current. The ohms will determine the power needed at any specific voltage level.

This is a simple setup of a variable voltage power supply. I am using a 18v 65w adapter. The converter on top of it can change the voltage to whatever I want up to 8 amps.
49732424096_72d184fc00_o.jpg

This is available up to 10 amps for instance. 3 to 12 volt capable.

091a28b0-40ad-405c-aa39-5e72dded49ab.jpeg
Thank you, and you know were i can find this adapter ? look not too big.

jagi,

TommyDee

Vaporitor

GI

Ok, thanks, maybe it's better to chose a dell or hp that i maybe have and a separate converter.

jagi,
Reactions: TommyDee

GI

Ok, thanks, maybe it's better to chose a dell or hp that i maybe have and a separate converter.

jagi,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I like this little converter... ebay link

It has a switch to limit the output to 12 volts. Better yet, it gives better sensitivity to the dial. And a project box can locate the dial anywhere.

TommyDee,

Abysmal Vapor

@jagi Are you a Fist of the North Star fan ? I have just opened one of those all in one PSU and you are better off with one that has separate control.. I can take photos of the insides if you like,wiring got burned cause it is too thin,i dont suggest running those for prolonged period. Also take a look of the open led PSU. They heat less than the closed plastic ones and are very affordable.
I have 8.5A 12v with 8a 4016xl based controller and it doesnt even get hot at 90w..
Jagi-profile.jpg

Abysmal Vapor,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
True, lab supplies are nice for general DIY. Didn't even think of that. For non-DIY'rs, the open frames are a bit more than they feel safe around.

I'd sure like to see the insides of those supplies. You can actually open them up or was a forced entry?

Damn, you just reminded me; I have 120 watts open frame on hand... CRS!

TommyDee,

Abysmal Vapor

I opened it up,by i am a bit clumsy and manage to break one of the teeth,but you can open it without a problem,work the angles with a knife.
Look for the slimline cases. This is the one i use. Actually i dont find them dangerous,you can secure them in a box with the controller,it doesnt get hot at all. I guess i am owe to take a photo of my DIY,too :)). I used a simple plastic lunch box. You can insulate the terminals with silicone or j-weld if you like,it is what they do,in those closed box ones. :)
View attachment 1468

Attachments

• res_ac6ce868d750eea7e8335999c8833e26_full[1].jpg
    res_ac6ce868d750eea7e8335999c8833e26_full[1].jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 51
Abysmal Vapor,

Abysmal Vapor

It is the 3-12v 5a version. You can see what clearly got wrong in the bottom left corner.
P1010993.JPGP1010996.JPG
P1011003.JPG

Abysmal Vapor,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Wow! That is old school. Caps frying is part of that. You almost want to just fill it with potting and forget it.

The main feature of course is the transformer providing AC isolation, as it were.

Thanks for posting those! Very enlightening.

TommyDee,
Top Bottom