Volume of ABV in recipe confusion

TwistedGray

Hey everyone,

I have a large jar of ABV, and I have only cooked with it twice. One time I made banana bread with 10 grams of ABV, and it could have put down a small bear. I was out of it for a while. Now I am working on some chocolate to dip stuff in, and I've chosen to half the quantity (5 grams).

Either way, in both instances that is a LOT more than what you can buy at the store. Five grams is 5,000mg which is a LOT of THC! All recipes I find online call for that amount (5-10 grams +/-). It doesn't make sense to me.

The edibles you buy from the store at 10mg each meaning and the package is usually 100mg. That would mean for those 10ish gummies that you buy they only used 0.1g per package. When you put 0.1g of ABV on the scale, it's miniscule...it seems too little. With my 5 grams of ABV, I could make 500 edibles? While the 0.1g of ABV seems miniscule, the ability to infuse 500 cookies with the 5 grams of oil seems to fall on the other extreme (I would be eye dropper-ing it on the cookies).

Am I misunderstanding something? Have not been able to wrap my head around this...

howie105

I always start low with a new ABV dish dose and work my way up to where I want to be. It takes more time (days to weeks) and effort then just guessing but in the end I get the effect I am looking for.

MinnBobber

Let's look at 5 grams of ABV, what's in it?

5 grams of ABV really came from 5 plus grams of buds---some weight is lost in vaping, but let's keep it simple.

5 grams of bud @ 20% potency = 1 gram of goodies = 1000 mg THC

Now you need to estimate what was lost in vaping. What temps do you vape at?
ABV that was vaped at 370 F loses much less than ABV that was finished at 445 F.

I'd go with an average of 80% of the THC was pulled out via vaping.
That leaves the ABV as 20% potency.

20% of 1000 mg "starting THC" = 200 mg THC in your 5 grams of ABV

20% left might be high, as it might be closer to 10%, especially for my 445 F vaped ABV

But let's split it and say 15% of orig THC remains.
15% of 1000 mg = 150 mg of THC in your 5 grams of ABV.

A dose is probably more like 15 mg for experienced cannabis users so:
10 doses in your 5 grams of ABV

You just need to estimate how much of the goodies remain in ABV after it was vaped and that
has huge variance---depending on temps, number of draws, etc.

For me, with ABV vaped at 445 F, I don't think I get 10 doses from 5 grams of ABV....somewhat less.

Does that make sense??

-dab8-

Dyna-saur

5 grams of ABV really came from 5 plus grams of buds---some weight is lost in vaping, but let's keep it simple.

ABV that was vaped at 370 F loses much less than ABV that was finished at 445 F.

20% left might be high, as it might be closer to 10%, especially for my 445 F vaped ABV

You just need to estimate how much of the goodies remain in ABV after it was vaped and that

For me, with ABV vaped at 445 F, I don't think I get 10 doses from 5 grams of ABV....somewhat less.

Does that make sense??
This is HUGELY helpful, thank you!!!

CVC4455

Does that make sense??

Great explanation!

Treetopsman

I have been using ABV for some time now. Using 20% THC flower, on average, and vaping to the low 400s, I make brownies with 10 grams of ABV. The batch makes 32 doses, and they are pretty close to what you get from a 10 mg commercial edible. Maybe a tad stronger.

I extract using an espresso maker into 1\2 cup coconut oil mixed with 1\4 cup water. No off flavors in the brownies.

Top Bottom