Volcano vs Silver Surfer? Bag vs Whip?

Newb

Omg please help me lol. Off topic, but I get off probation(13 months drug free) on the 17th. I'm looking into investing in a smoking device. Originally I was going to get a bong, but I actually got really interested in vaping.

So basically, how does the vapor quality and build quality of these vaporizers, volcano and ssv, compared against each other?

Extra comments:
I really like the whip style vaporizer over a bag, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Newb,

Jeremy Driscoll

If you like the whip over a bag/ Yet your wondering what the advantages using bags. Why not get one. That can do both? I got my HA for one of those reasons, but the weird thing is. I hate using a bag. So I only use it for the whip so I advise you get a unit that can both.

Congrats on off probation.

As for your investment in a bong, you can still use a bong with vaping. Simply use an adapter to connect.

As for volcano well. I have never used one but the ones I saw are freaking built nice.

Yoshimattsu

I owned a Volcano Classic for the last 3 years, just sold it last month. It was an amazingly designed machine and it really does a great job of delivering potent dense vapor, unfortunately I never really liked using the bags, they're big, loud, and always made me feel like a delinquent huffing paint or something. :(

SSV is a great vape too, great flavor, powerful draws,lots of options, and american made.. Plus you can get an adapter to mate with a bong or other bubblers/waterpipes! :rockon:

Jeremy makes a great point though, why choose when you can have a device that does both?

Yoshimattsu,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
the build quality is great on both. you can't really go wrong with either, it just comes down to bag/whip preference.

i've used the volcano a fair amount, and i've used my ssv religiously since i got it over 5 years ago....it still works just like the day i got it....

personally i prefer whips, but i'm not really a social partaker...the bag does excel at being able to pass it around the circle...

lwien

Originally I was going to get a bong, but I actually got really interested in vaping.

How 'bout doin some vaporbonging? For that, I'd suggest a small 12" tube or bubbler with medium diffusion and an LSV (Life Saver Vaporizer).

Regarding bags versus whips, most people that get vapes that can do both, like the HerbalAIre or the Extreme Q, end up using the whips in solo mode and the bags in party mode. Whips provide a thicker, richer, fresher hits at lower temps than a bag vape. But in party mode, nothing beats the idiot-proof factor better than a good bag vape.

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
I vote SSV amazing vape highly customizable i hear the best "whip" vape. I hear the Volcano is the best "bag" vape. i hear the HA /EQ does both but not the best at either one. I got the SSV and could not be happier. No noisy and expensive bags to replace. Just clean the parts with iso every other week and you are good to go for a lifetime..

Newb

Man, I really want the SSV, but than again I really want the Volcano, but I don't know why. I guess its the name, price and reputation that the Volcano has that makes me want to own one. Buying 2 expensive vapes at the same time is a no no for me. I need to choose just one, then maybe I'll be the other later.

I hear you can use a whip on the easy valve, anyone ever try this before?

Newb,

lwien

My suggestion is now this. Buy a combo vape like the Extreme Q or the HA. Maybe even buy a used one if you can find it, for that is the ONLY way that YOU can decide which deliver system YOU prefer. After you do make that decision, then you can either sell that combo vape for either an SSV or a 'Cano or decide to keep what you got.

Pcpvapors

For what it's worth, I'd save the cash and get a da Buddha the difference between the two is really personal preference which I found neglible. They can be had relatively cheap. Even if you prefer the SSV after your research just go with a manufactured blemished unit, I've used half a dozen of these "blemished" units and its pretty damn hard to see where the fuck up is, and it functions just as well.

Pcpvapors,

Newb

My suggestion is now this. Buy a combo vape like the Extreme Q or the HA. Maybe even buy a used one if you can find it, for that is the ONLY way that YOU can decide which deliver system YOU prefer. After you do make that decision, then you can either sell that combo vape for either an SSV or a 'Cano or decide to keep what you got.

Thank you for your input.

But I am wondering if anyone has tried using a whip on the easy valve of the volcano.

Newb,

Yoshimattsu

Do you mean like using a whip to pull from the bag, or directly from the filling chamber? Because I don't think you want the hot air generator blowing directly into your throat, it would be too hot IMO.:2c:

Yoshimattsu,

Primasilva

Professional Procras... I'll finish this later ;-)
But I am wondering if anyone has tried using a whip on the easy valve of the volcano.

Congrats on getting off probation! My boyfriend has a year to go (one down) and has been living vicariously through me ;)

I was looking at Volcanos, too, but to use a whip, I've read that you have to buy this:
http://www.gotvape.com/volcano-vaporizer-vapor-dome.html

An extra $250 ON TOP OF $600? No thanks! I think I'll get the HerbalAire or Extreme Q instead.

Edit: I looked through the forums and found this:
"You can attach a hose to an easy valve but it only works with the pump on, but it blows to hard to get a nice hit, I tried it but it is not as satisfying as the bag. I have not tried the vapor dome but in theory you could make something similar by attaching a hose to a whole in the bag for a whole lot cheaper, I have not tried this but I saw a video on Youtube and it seemed to work."
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/can-you-use-a-whip-with-a-volcano.2525/

Primasilva,

max

Out to lunch
how does the vapor quality and build quality of these vaporizers, volcano and ssv, compared against each other?
I used an SSV for years, and the build quality is as good as you'd want. Also sucked many a bag of vapor, and the SSV provided a much more enjoyable vaporizing experience- much thicker vapor (meaning more vapor per hit, not more total vapor) and you have more control. A bag of vapor from the Volcano is no different than the vapor in a bag filled by the herbalAire, Extreme, etc. The vapor is diluted by the fan/pump forcing the air through the bowl, with the most vapor always in the first bag (unless you add more herb to the bowl).

IMO you should determine how you want to get your vapor, not whether you need a 'cano or not. It's very well built but so are many models these days. You can get quality models much cheaper that will give you both bagged vapor and direct draw. The days of needing 'Volcano quality' are long gone. The vape industry has advanced a lot in the last 6-8 years, while the Volcano design has only added digital, and at a higher price.

max,

hoptimum

IMO, the SSV is a necessity and the Volcano is a luxury. Despite its simple design the SSV is surprisingly versatile, with a wide temperature range that allows for multiple variations in draw speed and consumption. You can take low temp hits for flavor but also hit it hard and fast at higher temps for lung busting big hits. The DBV is very similar but if you can geta blemished SSV for a similar price, go for it. I like the ergonomics better and it just looks more cool than the DBV. The Volcano is a powerhouse, but IMO, its a bit too much for a solitary user.

hoptimum,

lwien

The Volcano is a powerhouse, but IMO, its a bit too much for a solitary user.

This "may" imply that the 'Cano is too much for a solitary user because it is such a heavy hitting vape (powerhouse), and that, I don't believe is true. If anything, the SSV/DBV is more of a "powerhouse" in that regard.

lwien,

hoptimum

I meant powerhouse in the sense that its powerful at filling bags quickly and efficiently,which makes it great for groups. But I agree, you can get much bigger hits from the SSV. IMO, most vaporists seem to enjoy variety and you dont get much variety with the Volcano, unlike the SSV.

hoptimum,

lwien

I meant powerhouse in the sense that its powerful at filling bags quickly and efficiently,which makes it great for groups.

That, I agree with but I think the main reason why it's so good for groups is that it's virtually idiot proof. No need to worry about draw speeds, combustion, blow back into the wand, breaking glass, etc etc. With the valve system, you don't even have to worry about holding your fingers over the end of the bags. The Volcano has got to be the best party vape on the market, but as a solo vape, there are other things to consider.

lwien,
Reactions: hoptimum

Newb

That, I agree with but I think the main reason why it's so good for groups is that it's virtually idiot proof. No need to worry about draw speeds, combustion, blow back into the wand, breaking glass, etc etc. With the valve system, you don't even have to worry about holding your fingers over the end of the bags. The Volcano has got to be the best party vape on the market, but as a solo vape, there are other things to consider.

FFS!

I can't decide on which vape to buy. Everyone brings up good points.

What vape do you personally use man?

Newb,

lwien

Water filtration with the LSV is optional.

But in regards to hitting it through water, I've found that hitting it through very warm water allows me to take a MUCH larger hit than I could with my DBV, which is basically the same vape as the SSV. Actually, the LSV is the same vape as well, minus the whip, made by the same company.

lwien,
Top Bottom