Volatizer M2

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Ok, i'm trying to revive this topic and see that its been unused for a bit. I got the VM2 on 420 at a local headshop for about $150...and for the most part I enjoy it. But, I am having trouble finding a sweet spot for that Vake we all crave. Because the bowl has only a 9mm stem on it it cannot be used with anything but soft glass water pipes etc...so I have had no luch in acquiring a true QUALITY glass piece that would better suit my needs. Going back to the bowl it HUGE and it has to be...it obviously has to accomodate the large seal from the actual wand. With that being said it seems that I could never put the right amount of product in there and I usually end up burning to quickly or it takes me forever to acheive proper vaping temps. Also, im a bit OCD about my toys and like to keep them in good shape as we all know how much money we spend on this stuff. A huge pet pieve that hit me was immedately I started to notice discoloration on the ceramic ring that seals the heating coil.Ugh! So if anyone on FC could offer any tips on the M2 or is interested in just chatting about im all ears.

:peace:

mvapes,

arf777

No longer dogless
Hey
I've had a Volatizer VW2 for a really long time. Was my 2nd vape ever (after the Vapir one, which I chucked). I still go back to using the VM2 every once in a while, and every time I do it is surprising how good the vape can be. It isn't one of the easiest to use, though. I thought it took as much practice as the VHW, which of course does give better vape then the VM2 (IMO). I like the VHW so much I've owned 2, both now broken.

But the obvious advantage the VM2 has is durability - my VM2 is nearly indestructible, and I've used it with many bowls other than their standard one. Just need to futz with it a bit (to make sure you don't accidentally combust). Of the vapes I've used, it's the only one with heat wand-like uses that is totally unbreakable. The trade-off is the taste. I don't taste the various parts of the VM2 when vaping per se, but it is just not as pure a flavor as the VHW or even the MW (though its closer to the LSV - for some reason that ceramic element causes a scorched taste, when the one in the MW does not). Again, all just my personal opinion. But until the VXC FINALLY ships to all of us pre-orderers, I will keep occasionally using the VM2.

arf777,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Yeah, I bought it cause the price made sense and I had been looking for a decent wand. It seems to get the job done and it is from what I can tell built like tank. I just dont like the resrtiction to soft glass because of the 9mm slide. It actually did an awesome job placed over an old sherlock I have....much faster heat up and gave somewhat of a nice flavor. I am really interested in your review of the VXC, its really an exciting piece and could address the issues with a continuously hot table top. I think my next investment will either go to the PD or possibly another log piece. It seems thats all the rave and to be honest I just really love vaping. One more question, when using the standard VM2 bowl how much are you packing in? With the gargantuan bowl it seems that it takes forever for the heat to make its way to the herb unless your constantly pulling on the bong. I get higher from deprivation of oxygen than I do my nugz...lol

:peace:

mvapes,

ShadowVape

Vrip CSR
Manufacturer
FC Vapor Heads I've been asked by Mark to post on this thread to clear a few things up. Evidently Mark still has a M2 in his own collection (will have to try it to give my opinion), owned the original Volatizer, and was friendly with the inventor (as one of the early vapor pioneers; now deceased) and is friendly with the current rights holder. The company's current focus is their new portable "iolite-like" vaporizer, but it was the vision of the original inventor to run vapor through water for a moisture conditioned and cooled experience as he, like Mark, was aware that with most herbs of choice it's the heat and the dryness and not the actual "tars" that is bad for the throat and lungs.

Points of clarity/contribution Mark asked that I post after reading through the thread:

1. Stinkmeaner's assertion that a blindfolded test of all glass paths as opposed to paths that include wood, plastic and metal would lead to no difference in taste or quality is 100% incorrect from many side by side comparisons done by Mark personally over 13+ years of pushing vapor (with all due respect Stinkmeaner---your contributions and participation always appreciated).
2. Stinkmeaner's assertion should lead to a Vapor Challenge where exactly such a blindfolded test is conducted with many different products and should be sponsored by FC!!! (VripTech will be there FOR SURE!!!)
3. Although the M2 is a "wand" that can be used with water pipes it is very, very different from a VHW because the element is essentially a metal car lighter type element with a ceramic heat exchange/insulator inside a plastic housing intended to be used with a quartz or glass bowl (all materials of which the airpath is exposed to) and there is no way to adjust the temperature outside of the user either pushing the button for juice to flow to the element or letting off on the button for juice not to flow to the element.
4. Although the VHW heat source is indeed based upon a soldering iron with on-board temp control it has a completely different element that has been custom sourced for the application now on V 3.0 and beyond, and as has been pointed out the true beauty of it's design lies in the glass cover giving you a 100% glass heating surface that effectivelly heats the air by a dial control with thermo-coupled feedback to more than hot enough for even concentrates or hybrid smoke/vapor if clean vapor isn't the preference on only 60watts of power and which mates perfectly to the proprietary Vaporization Chamber Bowl that uses flow form physics to produce broader spectrum vapor per pass (this is where the flavor advantage comes from---but yes for experts only or those that can afford to use glass).
5. For years pre-VHW Mark used the M2 when on international holiday because he didn't want to carry a heat gun and yet of course wanted vapor and not smoke. The beauty of the M2 besides it's price point and durability of a plastic housing metal element is that it can be plugged directly into 12V for in-car usage by way of an adaptor (remember the element is basically a car lighter element) and once you get the technique dialed in you can get darn good vapes off of it....but it is technique specific and you will burn and smoke your way through dialing in on it and if you're used to all glass you WILL taste the metallic component. Mark recommends using it with concentrates for the best flavor and a more forgiving medium than raw flowers.
6. Today with the VHW and an inverter you can take the all glass, vortex and sequential venturi enhanced vapor car/hotel room portable with a similar footprint size wise as the M2---but you do have to be careful because to benefit the all glass flavor you will be dealing with glass tools!

Not trying to stir any muck just wanted to clarify and conrtribute! Next time I'm at Mark's I'll ask to try the M2 myself and report back! Vape On....

arf777

No longer dogless
I totally agree with the points Shadowvape posted (from the vrip dude). I owned both a VHW and VM2 side by side for a long time - my VHW is broken now but am going to get a replacement.

If you've been vaping with a glass-only path (like the VHW) or even a good ceramic one (like the MW) you will definitely get a less pure taste from the VM2. And you will combust some of your herbs while learning the right range to use. No dispensaries where i live yet (both DC and MD are working on them - yay!!) so I don't know how it is for concentrates.

But the VM2 is a beast - got home from work one day to find my 100 lb bulldog chewing on it like it was a bone. took it from him, plugged it in and it worked fine (he hadn't chewed the cord). Only other vape I've seen as tough is the PD - log vapes are really tough, I would guess MZ is just as durable.

As for the bowl - like with some of my heat wands, I have often used the VM2 with the stock slides on my glass pieces. The bowl it was designed for is huge, and I've never seen it with anything but a 9mm stem. But I've found plenty of 14mm and 18mm slides that are the right size to use with the VM2. Just took it with me to my local glass shop and tried multiple slides til I found one the right size. Worst case, can always get a custom piece made, pretty cheap to do in my part of the country. Recently had a custom 14mm adapter for my incredibowl made, was only $30.

Unfortunately, due to my job, I'm a bit paranoid about posting pics.:uhoh: Laws are changing here tho, so maybe one day.

arf777,
So I recently got this vape in a trade from a great forum member... And I like it.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock bowl, although the hits can be reasonably dense and are pretty tasty. But the way it can be used on any number of conventional pipes, as long as they have a evenly level bowl so you can make a decent seal, is just great. It's a damn cool way to revive a bunch of your old combustion pipes. For water use I'm using the vapocane bowl, which work great.As others have noted, the unit is very tough and robust. It kind of turns convection vaporizing into a fun little game with all the variables to mess with. This same aspect could really frustrate a novice vaporizer but just kind of adds to the unit's charm in my mind.

Edit: the VM2 is indeed fantastic for concentrates. It can go far higher in temperatures than many can. It has a range from super gentle heating all the way to combustion. Also, the spherical glass connection on an LSV waterpipe adapter fits the VM2 perfectly. The rubber gasket seals completely to the top of the spherical glass connection.

charliedontsurf,
I guess the edit button disappears now after a certain length of time. I just wanted to show some bowls that will allow the VM2 user to use modern glass.

A generic martini bowl, Pyramid bowl,and a LSV waterpipe adapter all work perfectly.The Pyramid can be found Here and the WPA from many places online. I recommend the shorty.

m34Po.jpg
CjnsH.jpg
0e0LA.jpg

All are also compatible with the Vriptech, although the Pyramid only with the silicone attached.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom