Vaporizers To Be Banned In US Mail

Planck

believes in Dog
It's done, except for the kicking and screaming. It started when the FDA attempted a ban in 2010 but this was rejected by a series of appeal courts.

FDA Approves First E-Cigarette
10/13/2021 -
On Oct. 12, 2021, the FDA authorized the Vuse e-cigarette and cartridges, marketed by R.J. Reynolds one of the world’s largest cigarette manufacturers. The move is the first time the FDA authorized any vaping product. According to a statement from the FDA, the organization “determined that the potential benefit to smokers who switch completely or significantly reduce their cigarette use, would outweigh the risk to youth.

Premarket Tobacco Product Application (PMTA)
Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act Table of Contents

A little light reading from FDA. :bang:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Why are you guys acting like big tobacco is against e-cigs...they make and sell
I already explained this in my post. Atria, a company that also owns tobacco giants, owns Juul. Mostly all the other vapes you have seen are NOT manufactured, distributed, or supported by Big Tobacco. Also, it's a no-brainer that when 11 million people in the US alone quit cigarettes, there is less cigarette revenue.

Make it illegal for anyone but your friends and that is exactly what is happening.

Yes, precisely. Good post. That's about the story. It leaves out some crucial details but that's about it.

When does this crap take effect?

It already has.
It began Oct 21, 2021. All vaping stuff is hereby banned by USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
As I've said, though, there are regional carriers that are going to pick up vape shipments, in time.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
We'll have to see how my CBD will be delivered.

CBD itself is not banned by any of the shipping companies.
However, certain cbd dertivatives or those containing more than certain amounts of THC 'may' be prohibited by your State.

This is a 'vape' ban, anything having to do with devices vaporzing your material. It is not a CBD ban, aside from possible State rules.

DJ Colonel Corn,
Reactions: Planck

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Why are you guys acting like big tobacco is against e-cigs...they make and sell both?!?!?
For many people ecigs are an offramp to tobacco consumption. That is even what they were initially intended to be, I believe. I think it was a happy accident that people decided they liked them and they became a replacement rather than a way to quit. Either way, the tobacco companies wanted their piece, either as an offramp as their last piece, or for those continuing users who created a new ongoing market for them.

Like the fossil fuels industries (oil, gas, coal) and the drug companies, the tobacco industry has always been very powerful and does actually write, directly or indirectly, pretty much all the legislation that pertains to them. That is one of the greatest flaws (in my opinion) in the American legislation apparatus. It is not new, but it may be newly powerful as it no longer has to operate in the dark. It is a sad story, and will never change without a few decades of democratic control, which is quite unlikely in the current environment. Not that there are not Democrats feeding at this trough, there certainly are, but I think it is fair to suggest that most of the congresscritters caught with their hand in this cookie jar seem to be members of the GOP.

It would help a lot of congresscritters could not lawfully hold stock, a concept that so clearly encourages corruption in many of its forms, but making that happen seems as unlikely as getting ALECs hands off of American legislation.

cybrguy,
  • Love
Reactions: Planck

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I hate to bump this older thread, but I thought I would do so instead of starting a whole new discussion.

The PACT act is in full swing now, new administration, yaddy yadda.

My question is mostly to the manufacturers and retailers - How has this affected YOUR business (to your clients) and how have you worked around this to continue providing service? I recently spoke to one of my favorite OG vape makers and he stated they shut down indefinitely because of all of the paperwork and legal mumbo jumbo that the PACT act is.

How has the market been adjusting to these new changes?

snowdrop7756

I fell down a rabbit hole and just found out about the PACT act yesterday. I wasn't into the vaporizer scene back when all this shit hit the fan. Clearly dry herb vaporizers seem to be shipping/importing just fine and there are plenty of retailers working. Was there a misunderstanding of the ACT? Are companies just dancing around the law by using terms like "aroma therapy devices". I did see some arguments on reddit around the definition of the word compound. Regardless of the ACT it seems like ALL shipping companies have banned vaporizers? Are there risks of confiscation or for consumers shipping for warranty replacement?

snowdrop7756,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

I fell down a rabbit hole and just found out about the PACT act yesterday. I wasn't into the vaporizer scene back when all this shit hit the fan. Clearly dry herb vaporizers seem to be shipping/importing just fine and there are plenty of retailers working. Was there a misunderstanding of the ACT? Are companies just dancing around the law by using terms like "aroma therapy devices". I did see some arguments on reddit around the definition of the word compound. Regardless of the ACT it seems like ALL shipping companies have banned vaporizers? Are there risks of confiscation or for consumers shipping for warranty replacement?
It was supposed to block ecig devices following the popcorn lung business. It was poorly written and misapplied, has kind of come to be understood as NOT intending to block dry herb devices, it's generally fine now to ship dry herb vapes. The renaming business is an attempt to be clever, but it does seem to help differentiate them and apparently the USPS is content with the nod-and-wink. The risks are probably small, but just today someone posted on being contacted by customs to explain how the device in question was not an ecig. There was an issue a few months ago with an overzealous customs person handling Vapman orders was refusing to let them proceed under the ban. They changed carriers and it seems fine now.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Behind the scenes, there was a lot of high-level discussions and lobbying between the largest vendors in the industry and the US Postal Service. It was determined that the letter of the law was focused on concentrate and prefilled vapes and dry thermal extraction devices were not within the scope.

However, this is why many vendors have discontinued their "concentrate pads" or other accessories which allowed you to use a dry vaporizer with concentrates.

Believe me when I say this was a VERY stressful time for all of us smaller vendors in the industry. Hell I had another mild heart attack when I saw someone replied to this thread, thinking that there was some new development (as the law also singled out accessories, not just the devices themselves). So thanks for that :lol:

snowdrop7756

Behind the scenes, there was a lot of high-level discussions and lobbying between the largest vendors in the industry and the US Postal Service. It was determined that the letter of the law was focused on concentrate and prefilled vapes and dry thermal extraction devices were not within the scope.

However, this is why many vendors have discontinued their "concentrate pads" or other accessories which allowed you to use a dry vaporizer with concentrates.

Believe me when I say this was a VERY stressful time for all of us smaller vendors in the industry. Hell I had another mild heart attack when I saw someone replied to this thread, thinking that there was some new development (as the law also singled out accessories, not just the devices themselves). So thanks for that :lol:
It's interesting, if you can even call it that, all the laws that basically are so poorly written which just get ignored or are unenforceable. I can't recall where I read it, but the average person breaks some law multiple times a month and could theoretically end up in jail if it was enforceable.

Anyway glad to hear something was worked out with USPS, it is odd to me they were able to bend given they're a federal agency. Are UPS & FEDEX technically still off limits? It seems DHL is still shipping a lot of things to the US even though they've had a pretty hard stance.

snowdrop7756,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Anyway glad to hear something was worked out with USPS, it is odd to me they were able to bend given they're a federal agency. Are UPS & FEDEX technically still off limits? It seems DHL is still shipping a lot of things to the US even though they've had a pretty hard stance.
You can thank some of the largest retailers in America and their lawyers for lobbying to the USPS. As far as I understand, UPS and FedEx followed USPS in their decision. Which is a relief because when the PACT act was first passed, both FedEx and UPS stated they wouldn't handle shipments either which would have ROYALLY f'd me over lol.

I can't recall where I read it, but the average person breaks some law multiple times a month and could theoretically end up in jail if it was enforceable.
You probably have heard how insurance companies are starting to implement AI into determining who is eligible for care and such (with horrible results). It's only a matter of time before AI is used to enforce laws more strictly than currently possible with a human workforce alone. And I have no doubt there will be an exponentially greater number of false-positives. :uhoh: :(

snowdrop7756

Looks like someone just got their venty confiscated by usps with a not so friendly letter.

Curious how his appeal process goes.

In fairness he bought from LCV in France which also carries ends. Maybe the store itself is on a blacklist?

snowdrop7756,
Top Bottom