• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaporizer for travel

adamster

I Have a foreign travel coming up. I am looking for the safest idea to travel with a vaporizer. I can get oils in the destination country but i would then be flying back via London, and spending an evening there. I would love to vape between airports and then in the hotel room in Gatwick before my flight.
I am not usually doing oils but this is the best way including the odor for where I am staying in the destination country. I could also get oil in my home country. Should I just take one vape cartridge with me? I was thinking it's less of a risk to only take something one way. On the outbound also passing through London probably will not consume as I am meeting old friends who do not partake so it would be a bit awkward. I will not be able to get the disposable cart where im travelling to.

Last edited:
adamster,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I have traveled with flower for decades. Most of those years it was about combustion where I'd take some tin foil, scotch tape and a scissor and turn a clean soda can or something similar into a one-hitter. I'd grind the flower and place it in ginseng or ginkgo gel caps that I emptied to put the ground flower in and then I place the newly filled caps back into the jar with the real ginseng or ginkgo. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between those newly filled caps once they're in the container with the real thing. They even smell nearly the same. Before travelling back home or to the next location I would throw away the one-hitter. If I was coming back from somewhere like Mexico or Jamaica I'd also toss the gel caps because they look harder when you're coming back from a location known for herb.

For the last 5 years it was about flower vapes. I would buy cheap vaporizers "that actually worked" and throw them away before the return travel.

Now that I have access to legal herb I no longer travel with flower or flower vapes......Now travel means e-cig and cartridges since e-cigs and nicotine are most likely legal where I'm travelling to. The e-cig/battery isn't illegal and if they want to prove it's not a nicotine cartridge they'll have to really go out of their way. Depending on the location I may throw away the cartridge before travelling home.

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
Well if none of the direct options dont work, make some canna butter from herb/shatter and bake into some cookies and keep munching one every day. I did this is in thailand, edibles would be less risky i presume. Edible high is more psychedelic and fun experience for places with natural beauty.

His_Highness

@GetLeft -- What's the worse that could happen....confiscation? There's nothing illegal about a unused flower vape as far as I know. I mention in this thread that I sometimes bought cheap vapes that "work" for vacations like that and just throw them away before coming back to the states. I would have bought something cheaper like a cigar-pen vape though.

Tranquility

@GetLeft -- What's the worse that could happen....confiscation? There's nothing illegal about a unused flower vape as far as I know. I mention in this thread that I sometimes bought cheap vapes that "work" for vacations like that and just throw them away before coming back to the states. I would have bought something cheaper like a cigar-pen vape though.
The "worst" that could happen is it is determined to be drug paraphernalia--possession of which is a crime.

Have I heard of it happening? No. I suspect you'd have to be a politician-level jerk to piss off a cop enough to arrest for paraphernalia.

But, remember,

Schlumples

Resident Otter
I've been wondering about this too. I think I'd be comfortable flying within the states with my dynavap. Fully clean it before travel and before returning home. If I were ever questioned I would just say I use it for legal hemp flower (the truth--but it's not exclusively for that). I would of course not be flying with any substance, including hemp flower. Just the dynavap. I think this would be fine.

My concern comes with going to Canada, which I frequently do as I live along the border. I'm not sure if it's worth it as border patrol (on the way back) can be pretty intense. It sucks though, because I never want to smoke again honestly. Then again, I could stick to edibles when I'm up there.

Hm, I do wonder - speaking of hemp flower, has anyone traveled/flown within the states with it? I imagine it would actually be fine, particularly if still sealed in the original bag with the appropriate lab reports.

His_Highness

@OldNewbie - A flower vape can be used to vape lavender and ginger. If you're concerned about getting pulled for paraphernalia wouldn't having something like ginger in your possession mitigate the concern?

Don't get me wrong....I would never take the chance unless the vape had never been used.

Tranquility

@OldNewbie - A flower vape can be used to vape lavender and ginger. If you're concerned about getting pulled for paraphernalia wouldn't having something like ginger in your possession mitigate the concern?

Don't get me wrong....I would never take the chance unless the vape had never been used.
The statutes are written quite broadly. Case law tends to limit expansive definitions of things. I don't know of a federal case that prevents paraphernalia liability because a pipe-like device has a sticker on it saying "tobacco use only" with a small bag of tobacco tied to it.

I understand the argument and know it applies in like situations in my state. For instance, it is illegal to possess "any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a billy, blackjack, sandbag, sandclub, sap, or slungshot,". The "billy" meaning applies to just about any stick-like thing that could be a weapon. A baseball bat has been found to be such a billy and it has not--depending on the context. In your trunk in a bag with other sporting equipment has been found to not be a weapon while tape on the handle and under the driver's seat has been found to be one. As you're trying to build a facts and circumstances argument AGAINST you having said "billy" as a weapon by keeping a catcher's mitt tied to the butt of the bat, you still have to live in the real world.

What is the cop going to do?

If you happen to have a bat in a bag of balls and mitts and are provably on the way to a softball game and a cop determines (after a search) it is a billy and a weapon and arrests you--what happens? You go to jail and have the chance to argue in front of a judge it was a softball bat and not a billy or a weapon. You might win. However, the statute was written broadly enough to include the facts of your particular situation and give that nice officer "probable cause" to arrest. That means you won't win if you sue the officer for being wrong. (Assuming you won your criminal case.)

Paraphernalia laws are written to cover the carved out apple with some tinfoil just as much as super-digital herb heater (With lights and sounds). While it is possible that apple is going to be used to prove up gravity or be used to keep the doctor away, a cop is not going to hurt himself thinking too hard about if you might have a defense to any arrest he might make. As to IF the defense would work, it depends. One good summary of how the court might look at our vape:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=8688167052149067906&q=Paraphernalia&hl=en&as_sdt=2003
Posters 'N' Things, Ltd. v. United States, 511 US 513 (1994)
The objective characteristics of some items establish that they are designed specifically for use with controlled substances. Such items, including bongs, cocaine freebase kits, and certain kinds of pipes, have no other use besides contrived ones (such as use of a bong as a flower vase). Items that meet the "designed for use" standard constitute drug paraphernalia irrespective of the knowledge or intent of one who sells or transports them. See United States v. Mishra, 979 F. 2d 301, 308 (CA3 1992); United States v. Schneiderman, 968 F. 2d 1564, 1567 (CA2 1992), cert. denied, 507 U. S. 921 (1993). Accordingly, the "designed for use" element of § 857(d) does not establish a scienter requirement with respect to sellers such as petitioners.​

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I have been flying domestically with my well-cleaned Fury 2 without any issue. I put it right in the security tub with my shoes and cell phone when going through TSA. I've only been asked once what it was. Told them it was a vaporizer and they just passed me through.
This year, while I might bring the F2 as a back up, I plan on traveling with a Boundless Terp Pen in its original packaging. I'll clean the body well, but at 10 bucks for 2 refill tips, I'll just bring new tips and toss the used ones before returning. Luckily I'll have rosin waiting for me where I'm going, otherwise it would be a no go altogether.

Trying to hide stuff from the TSA is a sure way to create an issue. In fact, being deceptive about hiding some materials is an issue in itself. Vaporizers themselves are legal for domestic travel according to the TSA website.

Last edited:

His_Highness

@OldNewbie - For sure....No debating the statutes.

I believe the potential for enforcement is next to nill though based on the parameters of the discussion (Unused vape and no cannabis) at least in the US. I've had conversations with "the law" on the different topics of enforcement in different areas and when it comes to something as minor as paraphernalia without residue or an illegal substance .... it's going to come down to what kind of mood "the person enforcing the law" is in. If enforcement is determined to ruin your day they will find something to do it whether it's a unused vape or not.

If paraphernalia as we're discussing it were something to really be concerned with in the US wouldn't every vape manufacturer or retailer that uses the mail for delivery be subject to federal prosecution?

Last edited:

Tranquility

@OldNewbie - For sure....No debating the statutes.

I believe the potential for enforcement is next to nill though based on the parameters of the discussion (Unused vape and no cannabis) at least in the US. I've had conversations with "the law" on the different topics of enforcement in different areas and when it comes to something as minor as paraphernalia without residue or an illegal substance .... it's going to come down to what kind of mood "the person enforcing the law" is in. If enforcement is determined to ruin your day they will find something to do it whether it's a unused vape or not.

If paraphernalia as we're discussing it were something to really be concerned with in the US wouldn't every vape manufacturer or retailer that uses the mail for delivery be subject to federal prosecution?
As I said, you'd have to be a jerk while being looked at for something else for anyone to even care. They have other things to do then mess with people just because they can.

As to the fear of vape manufacturers, each case is very fact and circumstance. Is the only real reason why Chong (in the clip) was sent to federal prison was because he admitted the items were intended for pot? That's the point of the clip, he had no idea anything he was doing could be illegal.

Why enforcement of paraphernalia laws are so all over the place, I don't know. Each jurisdiction has its own standards of enforcement and legal definitions that could give defenses. The bottom line is, I completely agree it is unlikely one would be arrested. However, depending on the specific facts, there is probably going to be probable cause to arrest a person in such situations--even with a clean item. If you would have a valid defense to a cop saying in his training and experience all the people he's seen with such a device used it for consuming, or as the addict calls it, "vaping" the marijuana's depends on what a court would believe.

Last edited:

His_Highness

As I said, you'd have to be a jerk while being looked at for something else for anyone to even care. They have other things to do then mess with people just because they can.

As to the fear of vape manufacturers, each case is very fact and circumstance. Is the only real reason why Chong (in the clip) was sent to federal prison was because he admitted the items were intended for pot? That's the point of the clip, he had no idea anything he was doing could be illegal.

Why enforcement of paraphernalia laws are so all over the place, I don't know. Each jurisdiction has its own standards of enforcement and legal definitions that could give defenses. The bottom line is, I completely agree it is unlikely one would be arrested. However, depending on the specific facts, there is probably going to be probable cause to arrest a person in such situations--even with a clean item. If you would have a valid defense to a cop saying in his training and experience all the people he's seen with such a device used it for consuming, or as the addict calls it, "vaping" the marijuana's depends on what a court would believe.

Agreed....I fought a traffic ticket and won because I didn't argue that I entered the intersection when the light was green. I argued that the officer couldn't tell when I entered the intersection. I argued that the officer was parked in a way that he couldn't tell when I entered the intersection and therefore couldn't tell whether I broke the law. I got advice from a lawyer who said don't ask a question you don't know the answer to and set up your questions so the officer can't back away from the answer you need to win.

First I asked the officer where he was parked. Then I asked which way he was facing. Once I had those two questions answered I asked whether his positioning allowed him to tell when I entered the intersection or did the restaurant block his view of the intersection entry point based on where he was parked. The officer answered honestly that the restaurant blocked his view of the intersection entry point and the prosecuting attorney immediately told the judge he was dropping the ticket. I was surprised by how abruptly the prosecutor called it. I didn't even get to ask the last question which would have been "Could I have entered the intersection before the light was amber or red". The light in question was notorious for changing quickly. The judge said I owed the officer a "thank you" for his honesty because he always takes the word of the officer.

What the judge said backs up your assessment that probable cause and a judge that gives more weight to the officer may result in a conviction in most cases.

sickmanfraud

I've been wondering about this too. I think I'd be comfortable flying within the states with my dynavap. Fully clean it before travel and before returning home. If I were ever questioned I would just say I use it for legal hemp flower (the truth--but it's not exclusively for that). I would of course not be flying with any substance, including hemp flower. Just the dynavap. I think this would be fine.

My concern comes with going to Canada, which I frequently do as I live along the border. I'm not sure if it's worth it as border patrol (on the way back) can be pretty intense. It sucks though, because I never want to smoke again honestly. Then again, I could stick to edibles when I'm up there.

Hm, I do wonder - speaking of hemp flower, has anyone traveled/flown within the states with it? I imagine it would actually be fine, particularly if still sealed in the original bag with the appropriate lab reports.

@Slotheus cannabis is legal in Canada. If you have family/friends in Canada you could leave an inexpensive vape there.

How expensive are disposable cannabis vapes/pens/cartridges?

If I had to travel to a location where my medicine is illegal I guess that I would bring something like Vivant Alternate ($100) and CBD if CBD Is legal at my destination. If CBD alone wasn't enough for my pain issues I would clean and carry the vaporizer across state lines, but not across international borders unless I was returning to a legal state.

Schlumples

Resident Otter
@Slotheus cannabis is legal in Canada. If you have family/friends in Canada you could leave an inexpensive vape there.

How expensive are disposable cannabis vapes/pens/cartridges?

If I had to travel to a location where my medicine is illegal I guess that I would bring something like Vivant Alternate ($100) and CBD if CBD Is legal at my destination. If CBD alone wasn't enough for my pain issues I would clean and carry the vaporizer across state lines, but not across international borders unless I was returning to a legal state.
I know, it's the return to the US part that I'd be nervous about. My friends in Canada are all out west so unfortunately nobody to leave a vape with where I usually go to (Ottawa/Quebec/NS). I think I'll probably just stick to edibles when I go back up there, and leave the vape at home. US border patrol can be insane.

Legal vs non-legal state is honestly irrelevant. Border patrol is federal and they enforce federal laws.

Last edited:

GetLeft

I'm not one for tempting fate so I'll just head down free of anything vape related and hope for some good vibes when I get there. Otherwise it will be my first t-break in a few years.

Top Bottom