• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaporization temperature dependent selection of effects

LOCKSTOCK93

It's April 20th, and i just discovered this thread. Very nice, tdavie; thanks much!

LOCKSTOCK93,

CrazySmooth

wow! This subject is awsome! thx for taking time to post your discovery Tom! Now I only wish i had a quality digital vape instead of the analog HA.

CrazySmooth,

saeton

Hey,

Just bought 4 sativa strains and realized that I don't know what temps are better for a full, excitable, action-prone 'head high.' Been using mostly indicas before, and enjoy the relaxing feeling, but I'm looking for some more cerebral high and to get really appreciative of music and stuff like that.

What are the ideal temps for sativas when vaping?

modnote: Merged. Please search before making a new thread.

saeton,

Plant

go for a lower temps but with sativa's even the higher temps should give a morehigh than stone
but it depends on the strain which high :uhoh:
experiment with what you like best its so personal what temps people like and what high

Plant,

dwdrummer

I agree with above post. With my extreme Q I pack the elbow and let it heat up for a bit at 200 then back it off to 185-190 for the first few hits then up to 200 the next 3 hits. If i want a little more of a stoned feeling ill crank it up to 220 and do a few hits. But the first few hits at 190 are to me the best. I very rarely smoke indicas .

dwdrummer,

saeton

any differences in those temps that you've noticed?

what ranges do you mean for lower and higher (like 160-180, 190-220 c)?

saeton,

dwdrummer

saeton said:
any differences in those temps that you've noticed?

what ranges do you mean for lower and higher (like 160-180, 190-220 c)?
Sry those numbers are in Celsius. Ive never gone lower than 185 so i'm not sure what effect you would get. But to me 185-190 is more euphoric and to me the perfect temp to start out with. Obviously with higher temps your going to start to release more cannaboids which will give you a more stoned feeling. I just ripped my Extreme with some Blue Dream I got here in LA on Sunset which is a sativa and im at 190 and feeling pretty damn good! The cool thing is that you can rip it at 190, then turn ur vape off till ur next sesh and crank it to 200-205 and see what kind of effect you get.

dwdrummer,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
This is great information!!! Thank you, Tom! I've been trying our different temperatures all weekend. It's really interesting stuff. I set my vape to 440F and that sedative effect kicked in. I was out like I light. I think i found the cure to my insomnia LOL.

CombustionJunction,

pdxbmw

I read this thread yesterday and decided to do a little experiment myself. I used my Iolite during the day, set temp, 375F I believe, and experienced the wonders (energy, clear head, body high) of the vapors up to that temp. Before bed, I put the Iolite AVB in my DIY vape,

6dd82eea.jpg

(I will be changing the piece that comes out of the bowl to a 90 degree elbow shortly)

where the temp is higher, and was hit by the higher temp vapors. Within minutes I was able to fall asleep.

Before I had a vaporizer, I would try to only smoke sativa in the day and indica at night, but now it seems as though I can use the Iolite or any vape at a lower temp, and extract what I want, depending on what I am looking for. Next would be trying different strains and seeing how my body reacts to each at specific temps.

Patrick

pdxbmw,

2clicker

Observer
audiodelic said:
what about a vaporizer like da buddha? Does anyone have an approximate temperature scale of the knob from start point to alll the way up.
so that we can have some kind of reference as to where to set the knob at to get approximately close to a particular temperature ?
i think tryin to figure out the temps for that dial would be hard to get accurate. your best bet would be to use a laser temp gun to get your temp. im just not sure where you would point the laser into the heater cover...? the surface of the heater cover would be hotter than the air i would think.

would be clever to see a heater cover for da buddha and ssv that have a lil therm dial on the top for easy reference.

2clicker,

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
tdavie said:
Temperature oC Temperature oF General Effect
140 284 2AI
150 302
160 320 E,2AN,3AI,AE,AX,AS,BD
170 338 AX,2AN,AS,2AI
180 356 AE,AD,2AI,AX
185 365 SE
190 374 2SE,AD,AX
200 392
210 410
220 428 AI,AN,E,SE
225 437 SE
230 446 SE

As promised, here's the post. Don't read too much into it at the moment, since I'm posting this from work and I'm sure there are corrections to be made. But, in a nutshell if a particular compound had a boiling point of 157C, I attributed it to 160C, since the Extreme that I use can only increment or decrement 5 degrees at a time. I then went and cross referenced each property with each 'assigned' boiling point and put a tick mark in a rough table. When I was finished I was able to enter data for a particular temperature; for example, at 185C there is at least one compound that can contribute a sedative effect. At 140C there are at least 2 compounds that contribute an antiiflammatory effect. There are mistakes in here, I can guarantee that, but I will edit and notate corrections. And yes, vaporization of these compounds emeshed in an organic matrix is not the same as boiling of pure compounds.

I can offer two general conclusions; if you want an anti inflammatory/analgesic effect, keep your temperatures lower. And if you want a sedative/couchlock effect keep your temperatures higher.

Some more corrections and opinions to come tonight.

Tom
Thanks Tom, excellent info I'm sure we can all use!!

tonuzzi,

VB-MFLB

pdxbmw do you have more pics of your DIY vape? possibly pics of the building process, that things looks very smooth and professional. congratulations

VB-MFLB,

rotax

Zaporist
This is honestly, great research.
And in theory its very logical.
But I think in reality it will be a bit tougher to test/prove.
Things like draw time, draw strength, and including other attributes that will effect temperature.
I would think some of this may also apply to bags, however the fan may provide more consistent results in this case...

This is actually great for science and medicine in general. Since there is so little research/testing done on cannabis, let alone vaporizing cannabis.
It'd be great to get vaporizers to such a consistency that you could efficiently utilize a chart like that.
Then the next step would be the same sort of chart for each strain...
And apply a ratings system to categorize...
Instead of the simple "indica" vs "sativa" system..you further break down the effects.
Getting carried away now too. :p
I bet herb was never meant to be so ... elaborate and confusing.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
rotax said:
It'd be great to get vaporizers to such a consistency that you could efficiently utilize a chart like that.

The biggest problem is that no vaporizer measures the temperature at the herb. For example, the Extreme v3 (my model) lets me crank the digital display up to 260 Celsius. Well, clearly that's not the herb temperature because that's well beyond the combustion point but the herbs aren't burning.

Anything with a temperature controller is helpful to maintain consistency but I'm not aware of any device that can tell me that I'm really vaping at a specific temperature. What would be really useful to know is the fudge factor to apply to various vaporizers. magicflight posted some interesting thoughts about the Extreme (http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=69171#p69171) and there have been some discussions in the Extreme threads, but nothing conclusive.

Tom's table is useful as a guideline but the only way to apply it directly is by knowing actual vaporizing temperatures. All we can do with current technology is experiment and find the sweet spot, then approximate where we are on Tom's chart.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
^^^
The Ion claims to display the temp at the bowl to within 2 degrees C (maybe even less variance). I have been very pleased with the temp control on this unit and have found it be accurate enough to get different effects out of the herb. If someone were going to test this stuff out, I would currently only recommend the Ion for it.

stickstones,
Reactions: 364F

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
stickstones said:
^^^
The Ion claims to display the temp at the bowl to within 2 degrees C (maybe even less variance). I have been very pleased with the temp control on this unit and have found it be accurate enough to get different effects out of the herb. If someone were going to test this stuff out, I would currently only recommend the Ion for it.
QFT

I think I read some where that it's accurate to .5 degrees. I've definitely found mine to be deadly accurate when testing against this chart.

CombustionJunction,
Reactions: 364F

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
stickstones said:
^^^

I stand corrected. The Ion is not a model I've read up on. I shall go forth and correct this deficiency.

pakalolo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@stickstones; have you only used the Ion in bag mode, or have you also used it in whip mode? If yes to the whip question, did you buy a specific whip to go with it, or did you cobble one together out of parts you had lying around?

Tom

(apologies if this is off topic)

tdavie,

JackBlack7

Great and informative post, I think your OCD came in handy! I can't wait to run the chart test!

JackBlack7,

dreadlocknot

This is not based on experience, But might serve as a good template for people to input their own thoughts, experiences, impressions.

Temperature oC Temperature oF General Effect
140 284 1xE, 1xAE, 1xAD
150 302 2xE, 1xAE, 2xAD
160 320 3xE, 2xAE, 3xAD, 1xAN
170 338 4xE, 3xAE, 4xAD 2xAN 1xAX, 1xAS, 2xAI
180 356 4xE, 3xAE, 4xAD 2xAN 1xAX, 1xAS, 2xAI
185 365 5xE, 3xAE, 5xAD 3xAN 2xAX, 2xAS, 2xAI
190 374 5xE, 3xAE, 4xAD 2xAN 2xAX, 3xAS, 2xAI
200 392 5xE, 3xAE, 3xAD 2xAN 3xAX 4xAS, 3xAI
210 410 4xE, 3xAE, 3xAD 2xAN 4xAX 5xAS, 3xAI
220 428 4xE, 3xAE, 2xAD 2xAN 5xAX, 5xAS 4xAI
225 437 4xE, 3xAE, 1xAD 2xAN 3xAX, 5xAS, 5xAI
230 446 3xE, 3xAE, 1xAD 2xAN 2xAX, 5xAS ,5xAI

AI=anti inflammatory
E=Euphoriant
AN=analgesic
AE=antiemetic (anti nausea)
AX=anxiolytic
AS=antipsychotic
BD=bronchodilator
AD=antidepressant
SE=sedative

Again this is not based on my personal experience or thought, just a different way of presenting the data already posted.

dreadlocknot,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom