Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Cool thread. Very interesting.

I have read the last 2 pages and first 5 (so far) but haven't seen mention of what type of cotton most are using.

I can't really get hemp fiber here, and organic cotton balls also a no go so far (but i know there is debate about the need for organic anyway ). I also find cotton balls get too restrictive, especially when wet, as i want to add a bit of water to the vapor as well as use as a filter.

Anyway...get to the point...

I have picked up some natural muslin, the stuff they sell at lincraft to use in place of cheesecloth to strain stuff in the kitchen. It's basically 100% cotton, but is very white, so likely not unbleached, so i am assuming this can be used same as the cotton fibre which is often mentioned? Has anyone looked into or used this?

I hope the answer is not top of page 6 ha ha...

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
we were looking at muslin for pressing rosin in the rosin thread, seems safe enough. it's just cotton after all no? i dont think muslin has been brought up in this thread, but at least from what ive read it should be fine for use. might actually be better even for particulate/collection of claim anyways...

MinnBobber

Either would probably work to sterilize-clean it.
I've only seen one hemp ad that specifically noted their hemp fiber was not cleaned or needed to be cleaned. In looking at info on hemp fiber production, it shows a degumming stage as also cleaning but how clean??
Mine looks free of any visible contaminants but ??

If you do try this, don't do your whole supple as it may have some unintended result...
And please report back, like what does the boiled water or pressure cooker water look like after this !

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Thanks for the info guys and gals. So i tried the natural muslin in my fw3.

First i rinsed it in tap water, squeezed it out, and then i placed it in a bowl and soaked it in boiling water (from the kettle) for a few minutes and squeezed it out. Repeated this process 3 times.

No discoularation of the water at any stage so pretty confident it is relatively clean of dyes (and hopefully other nasties) so good to go.

Placed a tiny amount in the fw3 capsule (wet)-still too much, took it out and ripped it in half, then in half again.....

Works really well to reduce harshness. It also drastically reduces clouds on exhale. I think effects also slightly reduced too, but not a major issue, especially if i use alot less next time (I suspect I put too much in, but it only slightly reduced airflow)

I have done 3 bowls with the first piece and it is fairly gunked up already.

With my plan to use the muslin to slightly water condition as well as filter, it works great for the first session, but the oils infused in the material make it much less able to absorb water the second and third time, so changing the cotton each session would be best here.

Overall though, a bit of muslin stuffed in the fw3, wet or dry, seems to smooth out the experience, making a mouthpiece extension less needed. Can't wait to try it out in some of my other vapes...oh, and maybe vape the results, ha ha....

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Hey hey,

Almost a week later and I'm back again. Muslin 'testing lab' results incoming...

As you folks already knew, cotton or hemp filter is a great addition to the vapor path. I have now added it to almost all my vapes.

For anyone interested in using muslin, i have found a piece folded into 3 about perfect for filtering with little restriction. Yes, i was putting way too much in...

Vaping the used muslin on temp 4 in my fw3 achieved great results in effects and clouds with no strange tastes or discolouration that i could notice.

Thanks again for the tips and advice.

Edit- by folded into 3, i mean 3 layers of muslin, not 3 folds.

Last edited:

DrHermman

Hi guys!
I ordered some degummed hemp fiber from George, at dynavap.com, he is selling 14g for 5 USD... Dont know if it is a good price or not, but i added it to my order as i would like to try it!
It will be shipping to Spain hopefully next week, so i will be posting some info about it soon ;)
Hope it helps!
Peace!

FluffMolotov

'Sup folks!
Been vaping and reclaiming with cotton for a while now; whilst I find it very useful - I do not enjoy the taste encountered under certain circumstances. As I can't seem to find any hemp fibre (that isn't tarred) where I live, I unwound what I initially thought was hemp twine and made a filter pad out of the threads...

Turns out I am vaping with jute, and it isn't too bad in a pickle. The taste is probably not as neutral/compatible with herb as hemp, but it's not darkening after use and isn't irritating insofar as my supple airways can deduce.

Recommended? Perhaps not, 'cept if you're in a pickle :cool:

DrHermman

Hi guys!
So yesterday morning my Degummed Hemp Fiber from Dynavap arrived.

94PHq0X.jpg

It took more than I expected because I just kept adding extras to my order (If you've been around the VapCap thread you will understand me, and if not... what are you waiting for?! :brow:).
I'm sure that if you order just the hemp fiber, and no vapcaps at all, your order will ship pretty quickly, just reach George and he will for sure solve any doubt you got.

The half ounce (14g) is 5 usd, and the int'l shipping 13 usd.
About 10 days shipping from Wisconsin to Spain, and no taxes to pay on arrival.

It's my first time using this material, so I didn't really know what to expect. But it really did surprise me how much it is, looks like i will have hemp fiber for a while. :lol:

I've used it as an "extra screen" or "thin bedding" on top of the ceramic screen in my VC, so it gathers oils and debris and I don't need to clean the vape so often. It is turning a beautiful yellowish colour, and after inspecting the condenser tube of the vapcap I believe there are no green particles stick to it, so I think it is working :nod:

I didn't boil nor treated the fiber any way, and it did gave a slight flavour during the first couple of heat cycles. It faded away and I can't sense it at all after that. :shrug:

yAO8jjL.jpg

I have no access to concentrates, but I tried some kief over the hemp fiber and it was cloud city... :whoa:
So I believe it will work wonderfully with other concentrates as well. :tup:

Overall I am pretty happy with having added it to my purchase in Dynavap, I believe I will be using it a lot! :science:

Peace!

FUCKCOMBUSTION88

Hey everyone. Quick question, how do you use hemp fibre or cotton with a log vape? Add essential oils to it and stick it in the roasting tube while vaporizing herb? Or do you keep the fibre/cotton in the aromatherapy cup, add the oils and set it on top of the unit to act as a type of diffuser? I'm very confused and couldn't find any proper info on this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Also how do you use beeswax wood conditioning beads with a log vape and what is their main purpose? Thank you!

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
FUCKCOMBUSTION88,
Reactions: OF

little maggie

Hey everyone. Quick question, how do you use hemp fibre or cotton with a log vape? Add essential oils to it and stick it in the roasting tube while vaporizing herb? Or do you keep the fibre/cotton in the aromatherapy cup, add the oils and set it on top of the unit to act as a type of diffuser? I'm very confused and couldn't find any proper info on this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I've been using hemp the same way that Squiby described with the vapcap. There may be other ways that others are using it. I've made a filter out of the hemp and put it on top of the screen and then add the herb. There is a good description of how to do that in the vapcap thread.

OF

Hey everyone. Quick question, how do you use hemp fibre or cotton with a log vape?

Or do you keep the fibre/cotton in the aromatherapy cup, add the oils and set it on top of the unit to act as a type of diffuser?

Right the first time. I use cotton for such uses, most guys go with the Organic version from Japan, held to be the best (though it sometimes comes with more debris due to less carding for longer fibers). Some guys fish the cotton out of the vitamin bottle and get to vaping. The sage of the High Desert, our very own @Vitolo rips the ends off q-tips. Rumor says he uses his teeth, I don't think that's so but you never know......

Throw the silly dish in a drawer. It's cover and when used is for oils much 'thinner' that we use, that vape at much lower temperatures. The cup runs way cold. Use the stem.......

Also how do you use beeswax wood conditioning beads with a log vape and what is their main purpose? Thank you!

It's a natural (and IMO very useful) wax to protect the outside. Wood and other things. Very easy to apply (thin coats). Not optimum in all cases, but a solid choice. Sometimes such waxes are 'thinned'. Good for furniture as well, since it comes from bees you can eat the stuff (and many folks do). Also good on handsaws and serious sewing.......

OF

FUCKCOMBUSTION88

I've been using hemp the same way that Squiby described with the vapcap. There may be other ways that others are using it. I've made a filter out of the hemp and put it on top of the screen and then add the herb. There is a good description of how to do that in the vapcap thread.

Thanks @little maggie... I need to get my post count up here so I thought that I'd try to inquire about as much as possible. Out of curiosity, what is a vapcap? A cap or lid for a vaporizer? I had a thought that the hemp fibre could possibly replace a stainless steel basket screen but wasn't sure if the higher temperatures would combust it or not. From my belief I had thought that it's only purpose was to keep in the aromatherapy cup to add essential oils to and then place on top of the log vape.

@OF Thank you. So you're saying that th fibres best use is to stick in the roasting tube? Dry or would it be safe/best to add essential oils to it first, lavender, etc? Not sure if this is a dumb question or would be safe either as essential oils are very potent and pure from my knowledge so direct inhalation through a tube may not be a healthy choice?

The aromatherapy dish is only for thinner oils such as typical essential oils? I've never used or plan on using dabs/concentrates anytime soon. So the aromatherapy dish could be good for just adding a few drops of lavender to and setting on top of the log vape? Without the hemp fibre in the dish? When I received the aromatherapy dish there was hemp fibre in it so I wasn't sure if it was to be removed or not.

So with the beeswax just melt it down and apply it to any type of wood or the log vape? Sounds interesting as a protective measure. Thanks and sorry for the long post

OF

@OF Thank you. So you're saying that th fibres best use is to stick in the roasting tube? Dry or would it be safe/best to add essential oils to it first, lavender, etc? Not sure if this is a dumb question or would be safe either as essential oils are very potent and pure from my knowledge so direct inhalation through a tube may not be a healthy choice?

You're welcome, of course. Glad to help when I can.

Be very cautious with anything not cannabis related. The temperatures are way different (don't mix....) and the results can be very intense. Watch a dedicated smoker try tobacco sometime. Don't let him drop your vape when the coughing fit starts. Hash oils and the like I add to the cotton when it's in place, itf that's the other question?

Not sure how to address how well the dish will work for you, most abandon it straight away, perhaps you'll be the exception. It's not going to get hot enough for our favorite herb, though it might make the room smell a bit with the right loading?

OF

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I pinch off a little piece of cotton from a qtip and put cbd crumble on top with my UD and TT fairly regularly. Works great.
I didn't really enjoy the extra maintenance a permanent fiber screen creates. I go a pretty long time before cleaning my glass, sometimes. Even at it's worst it's insanely better than when I combusted.

So far I'm not dead or sick from vaping cotton from a q tip, although the doctor did stick one onto my eyelid last week... And it didn't hurt my eye. What are the reasons to use fancy stuff instead of what you already have laying around?

To the people wondering about essential oils vaporizing into your lungs... No I would not do that. I scent the room commonly with the aroma therapy dish, but I'm not going to huff from them.
Put cannabis oils in your cotton and vape that. Put essential oils in your aroma cup.

C No Ego

I pinch off a little piece of cotton from a qtip and put cbd crumble on top with my UD and TT fairly regularly. Works great.
I didn't really enjoy the extra maintenance a permanent fiber screen creates. I go a pretty long time before cleaning my glass, sometimes. Even at it's worst it's insanely better than when I combusted.

So far I'm not dead or sick from vaping cotton from a q tip, although the doctor did stick one onto my eyelid last week... And it didn't hurt my eye. What are the reasons to use fancy stuff instead of what you already have laying around?

To the people wondering about essential oils vaporizing into your lungs... No I would not do that. I scent the room commonly with the aroma therapy dish, but I'm not going to huff from them.
Put cannabis oils in your cotton and vape that. Put essential oils in your aroma cup.

Glue... it is used in the tip of a q-tip.... not much bit it's there... you can get organic degummed hemp fiber ( hemp wicking) for quite cheap and a few grams of it will last a long time

C No Ego,

Kosherbubba

Just wondering if anyone uses a cotton-hemp filter in their stem. Guess I am talking about devices like the arizer air. but I guess would work with any vape where you can place cotton in the chamber.

If I vape at higher temperatures it makes me cough a lot. Maybe I am getting some particles in my lungs. Thought a cotton filter can help?

Any ideas? Have you tried this?

Kosherbubba,
Reactions: shredder
Top Bottom