Vaping through wood?

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I seemed to remember iso and water are not really advised for cleaning wood. A quick search and this turned up (hope it's ok to quote @Arawfish and @Perfect_Speed4069 )...

Acetone is the only acceptable applicant for cleaning our wooden pieces soaked in resin. It has 0% water content and evaporates easily even at low temperatures without leaving any residues. Iso leaves bitterants and contains a % amount of water. Ethanol does not contain bitterants but does contain water.

I've had very very good results with pure acetone on wood (from Vapman maintenance). It will absolutely take a soak if my experience is anything to go by - my hydravong stem, Noisy Cricket, Vapman central post. As well as deep cleaning/unseasoning the wood (I'm guessing it dissolves the reclaim/vape resin build-up), it's not made any of my pieces swell or messed up any of their tolerances. But don't take my word for it. Look elsewhere on FC or Google before you give it a try. Best of luck

GoldenBud

Wood is cellulose + oils
cellulose + oils are organic materials
Alcohol, Acetone are organic solvents, it will "take" some of the wood molecules
Water is not an organic material
but boiling water may evaporate the oils from the wood?
but I never felt anything bad after pouring boiling water through wooden stems (Eds tnt included)

because Alcohol is an organic solvent
there's no perfect way to clean wood

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Ed's TnT

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Wood is cellulose + oils
cellulose + oils are organic materials
Alcohol, Acetone are organic solvents, it will "take" some of the wood molecules
Water is not an organic material
but boiling water may evaporate the oils from the wood?
but I never felt anything bad after pouring boiling water through wooden stems (Eds tnt included)

because Alcohol is an organic solvent
there's no perfect way to clean wood
Meh, slap some of Ed’s butter on the wood after and all is good 👍🏼

florduh

Anybody have experience using wood stems with concentrates? I sort of want a wood Proxy pipe. So I'm not carrying around a portable that's made almost entirely out of thin china glass.

I feel like the woody taste kinda goes along with herb vaping. Not sure how it would work with concentrates.

florduh,
Reactions: Mad_Max

GoldenBud

Anybody have experience using wood stems with concentrates? I sort of want a wood Proxy pipe. So I'm not carrying around a portable that's made almost entirely out of thin china glass.

I feel like the woody taste kinda goes along with herb vaping. Not sure how it would work with concentrates.
more reclaim probably.. than herb..

GoldenBud,
Reactions: florduh

Mad_Max

Good morning, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with using the wood. I am a bit confused when you say "unfinished maple". I use woods that are within a 5 to 8% moisture content or less being as dry as possible. Maple is a species I have been using for years being dry and free of any moisture or resin. I am not sure what you mean by unfinished, all my work is finished there is nothing added to it that mother nature didnt provide herself. I bore the blanks, turn the pieces and rub a little mineral oil beeswax finish on the exterior of the piece, there is nothing added to the draw or load area.

As @GoldenBud mentioned above dry herb has a lot of plant matter that is released into the vapor which does coat the inner portion of the stem as well as your lungs.

I do say never submerge the wood stems. I recommend pushing through a dipped cotton swap with high proof alcohol from time to time to remove any build up from the vapor resin within the draw bore.

Pls tell me more, lets go from there.
Thank you for responding! :wave:Don't put much into my analysis - I'm an uneducated duffer. I know of your reputation :bowdown:and I certainly doubt myself, first. I WANT to have the vapor path coated with cannabis resin. I really WANT to use this cool stem! I had the coating and stinging in my lungs for hours. I will try it again today since I washed it.

I have not had a problem with these, though there is also some wood stuff to deal with at first:

I used boiling water just because I haven't found any Qtip long enough to get inside the stem, this stem is not short at all...
But alcohol is also an organic solvent and the wood is kinda organic too...
so either way is not perfect, you sure pouring boiling water inside will ruin it? it didn't do anything bad to my maple stem
Doesn't seemed to have harmed it. Dried it out some. I put wax on it quickly. I'm hopeful the cleaning helped.👍

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Thank you for responding! :wave:Don't put much into my analysis - I'm an uneducated duffer. I know of your reputation :bowdown:and I certainly doubt myself, first. I WANT to have the vapor path coated with cannabis resin. I really WANT to use this cool stem! I had the coating and stinging in my lungs for hours. I will try it again today since I washed it.

I have not had a problem with these, though there is also some wood stuff to deal with at first:

Have you used this stem with you Milaana without a problem? And your glass stems don't bother you with that vape? It's just a very different experience from other devices so I thought I would double check.

I have used stems and log vapes that have too much wood flavor, although I would not describe it as poisonous. Just strong flavored.

Mad_Max

Have you used this stem with you Milaana without a problem? And your glass stems don't bother you with that vape? It's just a very different experience from other devices so I thought I would double check.

I have used stems and log vapes that have too much wood flavor, although I would not describe it as poisonous. Just strong flavored.
I have been using glass on the Milaana with no problems. I will be trying it on my other vapes as well now that I've blasted it with boiling water! :brow:

EDIT: I've used my wood stem on my Splinter Z and the Milaana after the harsh cleaning with boiling water, along with soap and a brush inside. It has definitely improved! I just made it through 2 bowls, though the flavor and lung impact are still quite strong. I may be able to tame the beast after all! :whip:

@Grass Yes @GoldenBud

Last edited:

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer

Doesn't seemed to have harmed it. Dried it out some. I put wax on it quickly. I'm hopeful the cleaning helped.👍
Good morning, I am glad you were able to clean it in that manner.

What specie is that other wood stem you have pictured?

All wood stems and such will have a bit of earthyness to them at first when the draw bore is exposed.

I am wondering if maple itself just isnt for you.

Pls tell me more, thank you.

GoldenBud

the maple wood is like.... more rough? comparing to the cocobolo stems.... maybe it's because the maple wood has less oils other than cocobolo? idk... i liked them both... but liked the cocobolo much better... but it comes with a price... the cocobolo TM stems is much expensive.... although the wood working by Ed's is top notch....

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Maple in my experience is one of the more neutral woods especially if used as a pathway, however like most fresh cut woods is still needs to break in a bit, especially depending on the exact source of the maple since there is so much variety? The more you use, passing heat through, the more the wood is conditioned and will impart less into the vapor itself... However some people will always need a glass liner or steel liner instead and I've come to really appreciate that myself as most words can be a sensitizer depending on the person and varieties of course... Furthermore I don't think any liquid is ever good to clean it, let alone soap, absorbing into the wood and changing it, could get you results you want, but also long-term damage I don't know? For cleaning any wood stems or bowls, I would just scrape them now, and I have heard good things about using some neutral wax that you would use to condition it anyway to help mix with the herbal oils bonded with them so you can wipe it all out as a cleaning ritual...

Mad_Max

Maple in my experience is one of the more neutral woods especially if used as a pathway, however like most fresh cut woods is still needs to break in a bit, especially depending on the exact source of the maple since there is so much variety? The more you use, passing heat through, the more the wood is conditioned and will impart less into the vapor itself... However some people will always need a glass liner or steel liner instead and I've come to really appreciate that myself as most words can be a sensitizer depending on the person and varieties of course... Furthermore I don't think any liquid is ever good to clean it, let alone soap, absorbing into the wood and changing it, could get you results you want, but also long-term damage I don't know? For cleaning any wood stems or bowls, I would just scrape them now, and I have heard good things about using some neutral wax that you would use to condition it anyway to help mix with the herbal oils bonded with them so you can wipe it all out as a cleaning ritual...
I have been trying to imagine a way to condition the pathway through the wood. Wax has been on my mind, I have some Pita's Wood Therapy, but am afraid to use it at the moment. Heating it somehow. If only I had enough reclaim! I've even thought about coating it with cannabis wax!
:science:

Good morning, I am glad you were able to clean it in that manner.

What specie is that other wood stem you have pictured?

All wood stems and such will have a bit of earthyness to them at first when the draw bore is exposed.

I am wondering if maple itself just isnt for you.

Pls tell me more, thank you.
These others I have are Kingswood. I agree about the maple may not be for me, but, I ain't givin' up yet!
:tup:

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I have been trying to imagine a way to condition the pathway through the wood. Wax has been on my mind, I have some Pita's Wood Therapy, but am afraid to use it at the moment. Heating it somehow. If only I had enough reclaim! I've even thought about coating it with cannabis wax!
:science:

These others I have are Kingswood. I agree about the maple may not be for me, but, I ain't givin' up yet!
:tup:
Pls let me know if you use the cannabis wax and how that works for you.

I like kingwood, its a beautiful specie.

Top Bottom